Faulty equipment?

mrjking

Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
Loveland, CO
Hello,

I'm a new guy here to the forum but have had Dish network for quite a while. I have a minor issue. Just bought someone's used equipment off ebay and the Digital LNBF is dead. Receiver won't recognize that it's hooked up. So after a few choice words and the guy won't replace it, I bought another one off ebay. This time just the LNBF. This one too doesn't work!!!

At first I thought this had to me being stupid or a huge coincidence, so I drove to my parents house. They also have dish network...their DVR won't recognize either of the LNBFs that I hooked up to it. But when I plug in my receiver to their satelite the TV lights up with programming.

Are these LNBFs really this crappy or what? I can't believe that I have two faulty units when my parents have had the same exact dish and LNBF for years and years.

Any help?
Thanks a bunch!

Here's something I just thought of... Does the DSS 2800 receiver work with the BS1D1UP201M LNBF?

I think it should, but I just saw on someone's web site that this LNBF supports the 2700, 2900, etc etc but nothing mentions the 2800.

Thanks!

Welcome aboard! :)

I don't know the code numbers, and you didn't mention your parent's receiver models, but do you know that there's TWO incompatible types of E* LNBF?

Newer (3-digit model number) receivers can use either Legacy or DishPro LNBFs.

Older (4-digit) receivers require an adapter to use the DishPro LNBFs.

NOTE: Switching between LNBF types when using a 3-digit receiver can burn out a Legacy LNBF if you do it wrong.

Thanks for the reply simplesimon.

One of their receivers I believe is the same as mine. On the back it says 2800. Their other receiver is a DVR but I don't know the model. I do know that they are not using the dish-pro setup.

I think what you are wanting is the lot numbers correct? The LNBF lot numbers for the two I have are E0N and E1N. Both also say BS1D1UP201M and both do not have anything stamped on them saying DishPro.

Hope this was the info, still can't believe that they don't work.

What I was saying is I don't know anything about code numbers on the LNBFs - not any of them. I jut don't pay attention to it. If the LNBF says "Dish" on it, I'll use it. ;)

If it doesn't, then it could be any number of different types of LNBF that have nothing to do with E* reception.

I'm going to assume that the LNBFs in question are actually made for E* installations.

So then the next question is dish aiming. Exactly what kind of dish are we talking about? How do you know it aimed correctly? Are there any switches in the mix that you haven't mentioned? If the latter, get them out of the way while we work on this.

I should have mentioned this before...my fault.

At first I thought it was aiming...but I decided to do a switch check and both of them say unknown switch after the 38 step switch check.

Then I thought it was a bad link in my cable...so I took it inside the house and pluged it right into the receiver with a 4' cable. Still, receiver doesn't see the switch.

I duplicated the efforts at the parents house too and their receivers won't recognize the LNBF. It is the Twin LNBF with built in switch. I Think that is the sw42??

Thanks for all the assistance!

A Legacy Twin has the equivalent of an SW42 built-in, but is not usually referred to as such.

"Unknown Switch" bugs me. I don't know of any reason your receiver wouldn't recognize a Legacy Twin. Is it possible for you to find someone with a more modern installation? That is, 3-digit model receivers? Preferably withOUT DishPro to avoid the burnout risk.

SimpleSimon said:
A Legacy Twin has the equivalent of an SW42 built-in, but is not usually referred to as such.

"Unknown Switch" bugs me. I don't know of any reason your receiver wouldn't recognize a Legacy Twin. Is it possible for you to find someone with a more modern installation? That is, 3-digit model receivers? Preferably withOUT DishPro to avoid the burnout risk.
If he dosen't have the dish aimed at the 110 & 119 switch test will be no switch detected which might translate into unknown switch. Connecting the LNBF(TWIN) with a 4ft cable in the house will definitely be no signal.
:(

I did not know that if you don't have the dish aimed at the sats that the switch test would fail. That is an interesting bit of information.

To answer both replies, I have a friend with a new fangled receiver and he doesn't utilize the dishpro setup. If I can't get my dish to work by pointing it at the 110 and 119 sats I'll see if I can venture to his house, or better yet...I'll see if the parents will mind me changing out their LNBF head for mine and seeing if everything still works.

Keep the ideas coming!! Love the help I'm getting so far and I'll try each suggestion.

Thanks!

The dish has to be aimed at the satellite to get the check switch to work.

Legacy twins seem to hold up better than the DIshPro :)

Well, I'll be danged! I guess I never tried that before!

Ya get into the habit of using a meter before heading back to the receiver, and look at what you miss learning. :)

haha, yeah well now it is raining outside and I just got home from work...

Guess I'll have to wait before I try hooking everything back up again.
HURRY UP AND WAIT right?? HAHA.

Thanks!

Well yet again I couldn't get it to work at my house. So in frustration I drove back to the parents house and installed my LNBF on their working dish installation. Everything is working fine. My LNBF works great, switch test okay.

I think I have a few things to work out on my end (level and plumb the post), but also I have trees all around me and the only spot I could choose to point the dish is still right next to the limbs on the tree. How close can I be to the direction on the dish with branches near by? These are huge cottonwood trees, none of which are on my property.

If I go on my roof, can't point the dish that high (trees to tall)
If I go on my patio, no clear view of the southern sky at all (again trees)
I am trying my fence and that is a clear view right at about 183 degrees south (direction on my dish per install instructions) but the limbs are at about 181 degrees.

Trying to avoid having "Dish" come out and do this for me. But it may come to that.

Thanks,

When pointing a Dish 500, the reported azimuth is actually inbetween where the 2 birds are. I like to see 10 degrees each side when dealing with trees - because wind moves the trees around.

Noting that you're in N. Colorado, the dish is looking at about 40 degrees above the horizon - well above where many people think it's looking! This means that if the trees are farther away than they are high (add a decent fudge factor), the dish will be looking over them - until they grow into the line of sight. Did you consider this?

I took that into consideration. I wish I could get a picture of my property's layout. But it doesn't all fit into the frame. My neighbor's trees are very tall, I would need about a 60 to 70 degree angle to clear them from my options on dish mounting. I will not have time tomorrow to mess with the dish and it is dark now...so Saturday will be my "big day" when I get this darn thing working.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help so far!

Hey guess what??? It works! Woo Hoo!

The tree wasn't in the way as bad as I thought because I'm over 100 in the signal meter. Finally I can watch my TV again.

Thanks to all for the help!

LNBF for Sale!

Now that my issues are worked out with my dish, I ended up buying another Digital LNBF because I thought the first one was bad.

It is now for sale. Asking what I paid for it since it never got used (I just installed it 15 min ago and it does work). $20.00 for LNBF plus whatever it costs to ship via UPS or USPS. Buyer's choice on shipping.

It isn't the niced one out there because it is somewhat faded on the exposed side...but works perfect per my test.

I'll post this in classifieds also.
email me at mrjking at dependanet dot com. (keeps spam down doing it this way)

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts