Favorite Ionia Holiday Traditions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
One of the great things about this new WION forum is that it is exposing the world to Ionia!

So I want to know (as someone who does not know much about Ionia) what are some of your favorite Ionia Holiday Traditions? Each town has something they are known for or do for Christmas, so whats Ionias... and what do you enjoy about it?

Thanks for the feedback! :)

BTW I am going to ask Santa to take me to Ionia sometime next year so I can go meet Jim and see the Ionia Theater, I hears it's a beauty! :)

Explain this "No Right Turn" sign to me... I have heard it joked about a few times but not sure what it means or why it is funny. :D

The Ionia Kids has 3 Holiday Traditions!

First, about 5 years ago they started collecting donations to fill Holiday Hope Chests. This project was designed by low income youth to support other low income youth! Due to funding cuts a major local organization was forced to give up a Christmas Tradition of presents from Santa at a Christmas party. Our youth attending Kids Club figured out a way to collect stocking stuffers and place them in care packages that would be delivered to those youth. 5 Years later, Kids Club Members are still carrying on this tradition! Each year a new partner organization is selected who provides a list of children who could use a little extra Christmas Cheer. Local churches, businesses, and individuals donate stocking stuffers to fill the care packages. Kids Club members put in over 200 volunteer hours preparing the care packages and getting them out to the community. We typically do about 200 care packages per year, but this year the size of our group and our donations being collected will probably limit us to preparing about 120 care packages.

The second Kids Club tradition is making handmade beaded Christmas Ornaments that are distributed to senior citizens in nursing homes or assisted living homes. This project has taken place for nearly 10 years and continues to be completely supported by donations of supplies to make the ornaments.

The third Kids Club tradition is the Annual Cookie Exchange. This is by far one of the favorites of the kids and is open to the whole community. Everyone is welcome to attend! Each attendee brings 2 dozen cookies that are made at home. All these cookies are lined up on a table and each attendee walks through picking up 1 or 2 cookies from each plate up to the 2 dozen total cookies. Local businesses support this project by donating the serving trays and cling wrap to package up the cookies and by donating hot cocoa or other beverages for the volunteers attending the event. Extra cookies are then packaged up and delivered to supporting businesses as a Thank You for supporting the Kids Club.

Explain this "No Right Turn" sign to me... I have heard it joked about a few times but not sure what it means or why it is funny. :D

The installation of a downtown tree was resurrected a couple of years ago. This baby is big enough for "No Left Turn" signs to be placed in front of each roadway leading up to the intersection. This year, one of the "right turn only" signs (left-right, hrumph, getting old) was...reallocated. The hunt is on and no stone will be unturned...or something like that.

One of the traditions I miss is my grandmothers pork pie. She would only make it once a year for Christmas... and dang it was GOOD!

But when she died so did her pork pies. I wish I could just smell them again... so YUMMY!

You got me wishin' too. My grandma would make a layered jello salad with red and green jello, with a yellow with cream cheese mixture in the middle. Man it was always the first thing gone whenever she made it. I have tried a few times and my wife has a recipe that looks like it. It tastes good, but not like grandmas. mmm...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)