Favorites List - There is a limit to the number of channels?

golfman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2003
Last Saturday I thought that I would go through on my 811 and sort out may favorite channels making serveral Favorites list (one for me, one for ppv, one for music, etc.). But I discovered a problem. When I was on my second list checking the channels an error message came up and said "too many channels / please remove in order to be able to add" or something to that effect. And sure enough if I deleted 1 channel I could add 1 channel. Also if I deleted one from another list then I could add 1 to the other list. What I'm trying to say is the total channels is counted in all list. So that if you had a 1 fairly large list then you can not have any more favorite lists.

I had a regular SD model before the 811 and it did not have a limit or I never got to the limit. I had only put in about 1/2 the channels on the 811 I had in my favorites list with the other receive when I got the error message.

Has any one else experienced this. Is there a set limit? Or is it a flaw with the 811?

That was one of the very first "bugs" reported on the 811. Almost a year later, Dish hasnt gotten around to fixing it yet.

I believe the limit is a total of 120 channels divided among the favorite lists you set up. That's an "average" of 30 channels per list but of course it will vary according to your preferences.

Personally, I don't see the point of having real long favorite lists. You already have the "ALL SUB" list and you have the option of hiding channels you don't care about. It seems to me that a list of favorites ought to be limited to a couple of dozen or so at the most anyway or what's the point?

But, hey....that's just me.

i too was shocked to see that the 811 had the same limitation that my 6000 had. Meanwhile my older,standard-def 508 had no limit for the favorites list. I loved my 508 and I love the 811--if they could only combine the 2!!(for under $500 , that is)

JohnDoe#2 said:
I believe the limit is a total of 120 channels divided among the favorite lists you set up. That's an "average" of 30 channels per list but of course it will vary according to your preferences.

I can tell you I had no where near 120 channels on my favorites list before the error message. Somewhere around 50 would be closer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)