FCC Approves Partial Use of E-10 at 110 W

rocatman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 28, 2003
The FCC has approved the partial use of the E-10 satellite at 110 W. The FCC has deferred approval for use of the 3 TP frequencies from E-10 that could cause interference with the DirecTV satellite i.e., 27, 29 and 31. This could be a big problem for Dish's plans because there are at least 7 spotbeams on E-10 that only use these 3 frequencies. Here is the FCC website address for this ruling:

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/servlet/ib.page.FetchAttachment?attachment_key=490658

Looks like a good compromise, that lets E* use the majority of the satellite, without any potential disruption of D* at 110. E* will make a deal with D* to get the rest authorized at some point.

mdonnelly said:
Looks like a good compromise, that lets E* use the majority of the satellite, without any potential disruption of D* at 110. E* will make a deal with D* to get the rest authorized at some point.

Actually it is not a good compromise for Dish. There is not really any potential disruption of DirecTV service from E-10. The whole interference issue is bogus but Dish should have used other frequencies for the spotbeams so they wouldn't have this problem.

I know that I am not the sharpest guy around here but it seems to me that this is something that you think about before you launch a $300 Million dollar piece of equipment. I actually would have thought that the FCC would have wanted to see some kind of specs before you get launch approval.

Davis

Davis W said:
I know that I am not the sharpest guy around here but it seems to me that this is something that you think about before you launch a $300 Million dollar piece of equipment. I actually would have thought that the FCC would have wanted to see some kind of specs before you get launch approval.

Davis

I agree.

The FCC ruling states that if D* and E* can reach an agreement, then E* can use the other 3 Tp's. Does anyone know what D* has on those 3 tp's ??

also, I jsut noticed that lyngsat lists the D* sat as using tp 28,30,32.
Now I'm confused.

so they plan on using 7 tps for echo 10?

wow I thought we might get some conus space back at 110 but it looks like it will be going down...

I thought they already had an agreement so that Dish could use those three transponders. Am I missing something here?

DirecTV complained to FCC they fear that the Spots will overpower DTV adjecent TPs.

Just a bunch of BS.

Echostar has not really had the best relationship with the FCC.

I think the FCC like to get a chance to mess with Echostar.

JPointerWI said:
The FCC ruling states that if D* and E* can reach an agreement, then E* can use the other 3 Tp's. Does anyone know what D* has on those 3 tp's ??

also, I jsut noticed that lyngsat lists the D* sat as using tp 28,30,32.
Now I'm confused.

The problem DirecTV has is that the new E* satellite with its more powerful spot beams could cause adjacent channel interferance on the DirecTV frequencies therefore causing reception issues for DirecTV subscribers.

As others have said here, this is mostly bogus, but it is not completely baseless. That is why the FCC couldn't rule on this in E*'s favor at this time. As I understand this ruling, it is not permentant. But it is a major hurdle that Dish has to jump.

See ya
Tony

More than likely E* will get to use the 3 transponders they own but this is a way that FCC can temporary piss on Charlie and say "look what you get for messin around with us in the past" Plus its just D* tryin to delay E* having this new satellite which will allow them to be more agressive in HD LIL.

Im sure everyone will come to an agreement at some point in time and E* will get to use their space.

RVD420 said:
DirecTV complained to FCC they fear that the Spots will overpower DTV adjecent TPs.

Just a bunch of BS.

Echostar has not really had the best relationship with the FCC.

I think the FCC like to get a chance to mess with Echostar.

Give this man a ceegar.:eureka:

Just for clarification, Dish can still use the 3 TPs in question in CONUS mode as they are currently using them. Dish may have to reconsider their use of E-6 instead of making it a spare to provide CONUS programming since E-10 appears to be a spotbeam only satellite. In addition, it was expected that most if not all of the spotbeam capability of E-8 would be shutdown and the TP frequencies used for E-8 spotbeams would instead be used for CONUS programming. That may change now especially if it impacts meeting the SHREVA requirements for a single dish for all locals in a market.

I refrained from implying that politics has something to do with this decision by the FCC in my original post but I really believe that it has. I will refrain from going into details about that since this thread really should focus on the impact of Dish's future plans but most folks can figure out how the political situation may have affected the FCC's decision.

rocatman said:
I will refrain from going into details about that since this thread really should focus on the impact of Dish's future plans but most folks can figure out how the political situation may have affected the FCC's decision.
Does anyone have the footprint of the new Echostar 110?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts