Fcc Approves Transfer Of Voom Satellite!

Did Dominion/SkyAngel get anything?

I'm not a lawyer or engineer, so am having some trouble grasping the full text of the FCC ruling.:confused:

In other threads there were theories put forward about the delay in the FCC ruling. One theme was that there would be some shuffling that would benefit Dominion/SkyAngel and therefore satisfy some potential concerns the FCC had with the EchoStar acquisition of Rainbow 1.

Given the lack of any mention of Dominion, and my murky understanding of the FCC ruling, I gather that EchoStar got everything they sought without any changes to the Dominion agreement.

Can anyone clarify this for me? A recent Advisory Panel poll from SkyAngel certainly gave the impression that they anticipated adding some channels...

Regards,
Red

Note that I would have posted this in the SkyAngel forum, but there is no mention of the ruling in that thread. :D

Correct. Nothing involved sky angel for now. Those 2 temporary transponder liscences remained temporary and went back to dish.

BFG said:
Correct. Nothing involved sky angel for now. Those 2 temporary transponder liscences remained temporary and went back to dish.
Cool, thanks. I find your phrasing "for now" interesting. Is there something to be read into this, or am I just digging too deeply? ;)

Red

No just put that in there because things can always change, but I don't think there's anything on the burner

navychop said:
KA - weaker signal, subject to more rain fade. IIRC satellites are usually 2 degrees apart.
KU - stronger signal, less rain fade. IIRC satellites are usually 9 degrees apart.

KA subject to rain fade is a myth I have been on Anik F2 Beam 29 for 38 days (wildblue) it has rained for 9 days and on KU I have had rain fade but KA no rain fade.

The good thing is Im in the center of the beam with 3Ghz RG6 less than 20 feet so my KA beam runs on the hot side.

GregN said:
KA subject to rain fade is a myth I have been on Anik F2 Beam 29 for 38 days (wildblue) it has rained for 9 days and on KU I have had rain fade but KA no rain fade.

The good thing is Im in the center of the beam with 3Ghz RG6 less than 20 feet so my KA beam runs on the hot side.

I assume you have Internet access via Ka band and television via Ku band. Realize that the bandwidth requirements for television are much higher than Internet access since television needs to be processed basically real time. I don't know exactly how Wildblue does their Internet access but I believe the system can detect rain fade i.e., a degraded signal and compensate with greater error correction. This reduces the actual download and upload speed of the Internet. Depending on what you are doing on the Internet, this may not be easily detectable.