FCC Invites public comments on the XM/Sirius Merger...

BobMurdoch

Playing XBoxOne SeriesX/Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
FCC Electronic Comment Filing System

There's an easy link for providing comments. I'd like to see it go through as I subscribe to both and would like to get both NFL and MLB broadcasts on one radio. Put safeguards into place to protect against price increases, but let it go through......

I too would love to see this merger go through. I left a comment for the FCC. I have Sirius, but XM has more ACC sports (I am a Florida State fan) so that would be nice to have.

thanks I put in my comment against the merger. Compettition is what gives the consume value and progress. Look at what happend when AMD was leap frogging Intel the CPU race heated up and prices and performance are far better than they would have been with just Intel around by itself. DirecTV vs. Dish, if they merged we woudl have hardly any HD. Look at what lack of competion does, Microsoft is prime example, uncheked they want $400 for Vista Ultimate!

Oh well, now that he negated my comment with his, anyone else want to support this thing?

I don't think there will be any other way that I will get baseball AND NFL football out of one receiver. Besides, if the NAB hates it, it MUST be a good idea, right?

I am in agreement with the merger and I commented on it. I think both services have good points and bad points. If we merge and keep only the good points we have better service.

I am in agreement with the merger and I commented on it. I think both services have good points and bad points. If we merge and keep only the good points we have better service.
But there is no promise that a merger preserves the good things, competition is what helps assure that what the consumer wants survives. Do we think the consumer wanted an OS (Vista) upgrade that needs far more hardware than they had before and wastes 10+ GB of disk space! Part of me wants to ideally believe that the merger would bring the best of both out, but I think history has shown that not to be the case with monopolies.

.... Do we think the consumer wanted an OS (Vista) upgrade that needs far more hardware than they had before and wastes 10+ GB of disk space! ......

Nobody is forced to buy a new OS, and why should every new OS be developed to work on old crappy computers? Time to look forward instead of backward.

As for the merger, again, it will be killed, but not to preserve competition, it will be BECAUSE of competition. That is perfectly CLEAR (channel) :D

Nobody is forced to buy a new OS, and why should every new OS be developed to work on old crappy computers? Time to look forward instead of backward.

As for the merger, again, it will be killed, but not to preserve competition, it will be BECAUSE of competition. That is perfectly CLEAR (channel) :D

I am not saying it should work on old crappy hardward, but at the end of the day it is an OS, I buy a computer to run my apps, unfortunately in today's world the majority of apps require windows (and I dont; want to start a Windows vs. MAC vs. Linux debate). The reality is the vast majority of people have no reasonable choice but to run windows. The OS seems to have stronger requirements than many apps, is my point.
And to get back on topic, this is what will happen with XM/Sirius as one company, maybe not right away, but my bet is the FCC will probably mandate some pricing freeze for say 2 years then after that IMO you'll see them raise the price to $15 and then you might see things like tiered pakages where they will force you into a package you don't want to get the one thing you do.

The issue is choice, if i don't like XM's pricing or content I have Sirius as an option, the fact that they compter keeps them both on their toes to respond to market demand. If i don't like Intel's pricing or performance I can by AMD and still run my apps. In the end Consumers have never won in the long term with companies that don't have competition.

Last edited:
I am not saying it should work on old crappy hardward, but at the end of the day it is an OS, I buy a computer to run my apps, unfortunately in today's world the majority of apps require windows (and I dont; want to start a Windows vs. MAC vs. Linux debate). The reality is the vast majority of people have no reasonable choice but to run windows. The OS seems to have stronger requirements than many apps, is my point.
And to get back on topic, this is what will happen with XM/Sirius as one company, maybe not right away, but my bet is the FCC will probably mandate some pricing freeze for say 2 years then after that IMO you'll see them raise the price to $15 and then you might see things like tiered pakages where they will force you into a package you don't want to get the one thing you do.

The issue is choice, if i don't like XM's pricing or content I have Sirius as an option, the fact that they compter keeps them both on their toes to respond to market demand. If i don't like Intel's pricing or performance I can by AMD and still run my apps. In the end Consumers have never won in the long term with companies that don't have competition.

If XM and Sirius were as widespread as Windows or Linux or Apple I could see your point but XM and Sirius competing is like peeing in the wind. Neither are huge and their competitor is HD Radio and normal radio. They are very shy of their competition... That is why they would merge... merged they are more competitive with their competition... If this forces basic radio to cut down on adds and play more music... ROCK ON thats great...

As long as free radio and HD Radio is around and larger than satelite radio they will remain competitive because they know they won't get new subs and will run away all their current subs. *shrug*

Has anyone else seen the comments elsewhere that the DOJ is close to approving the merger??? I've left my comments for the FCC. I say bring the merger...

I miss the football channel and Octane from Sirius. Beyond that the built in XM in my truck is nice. I would pay more to get those channels added personally.

I used to listen to the NFL channel nonstop. I do listen to more music without it though hehehe.

Sirius stockholders blessed the merger and the former FCC rep who designed the two sat radio licenses in teh 1st place says it is NOT anticompetitive to allow them to merge. The whole intent was for Sat Radio to put a chink in teh terrestrial radio juggernaut.

Thanks to the merger talk, XM retail sales have been plunging anyway. They have to allow them to merge, or simply wait for one to go poof. Their choice.... Both won't survive past the end of the decade UNLESS they combine and stop overspending trying to one up the other........

I thought generally a merger like this is only approved if it's though that the companies can't survive without out.

Generally, I think the competition helps, but since the auto manufactures are preinstalling one or the other, there's many people who will stick w/ what it already in the car (like me). Since I like have the system integrated, and I don't feel like changing the factory radio, I sort of stuck (I'm not really choosing based on which service is better).

As such, I'd just assume have the merger so I can combine my radios under 1 account.

I commented against it. I know the two companies want to tell us that they compete with terrestrial radio or portable digital content, but I do not agree with that.

The two companies offer commercial free music, special event channels, special event broadcasts, and content a lot of us can not get on terrestrial radio. So how are they in competition with them? The only way I can listen to an old radio program such as "The Lone Ranger", is on the internet. Not in my automobile. The only way I can listen to Jazz in my car is if I download music and listen to cd's or plug in my portable .mp3 player, which can get old after a while.

This is why I believe satellite radio should be considered in competition with itself, and not be allowed to be a monopoly. I do not want to start paying $20, or even $15 a month to listen to The old Time Radio channel on XM.

I commented against it. I know the two companies want to tell us that they compete with terrestrial radio or portable digital content, but I do not agree with that.

The two companies offer commercial free music, special event channels, special event broadcasts, and content a lot of us can not get on terrestrial radio. So how are they in competition with them? The only way I can listen to an old radio program such as "The Lone Ranger", is on the internet. Not in my automobile. The only way I can listen to Jazz in my car is if I download music and listen to cd's or plug in my portable .mp3 player, which can get old after a while.

This is why I believe satellite radio should be considered in competition with itself, and not be allowed to be a monopoly. I do not want to start paying $20, or even $15 a month to listen to The old Time Radio channel on XM.

You totally missed the point.

If you want to listen to the lone ranger, YOU CAN! Download it onto an MP3 player. Yes it costs money, but so does satellite radio, and you can never be assured when it will come on the radio. Both cost money, both deliver the product, but in different ways... pick the one that suits you best.

Commercial free music... once again, mp3 players, CDs, Cassettes, ect. can do that. Regular radio can't, but because one of the competing products can't doesn't a monopoly make.

Special event broadcasts? Special Event Channels? You certainly don't think those don't exist on regular radio right? use the tuner knob instead of the presets. You will find H.S. football, College sports, Pro-Sports, political debates, presidential speaches, news, ect... all on the regular radio! Seasonal channels? Flip around right now and you will find at least 2-3 sports only channels, 2-3 religious, 2-3 country music, ect... not to mention at least 1 or more "Holiday/Christmas music only trough Dec.25" stations... on the regular radio.

How is that not competition?

Do you honestly think Sat. Radio would raise their prices that high? Take an econ course. Companies will not raise prices to simply raise prices. Any increase in price has the effect of a DECREASE is quantity demanded. Why would ANYONE pay $25 a month for something they could listen to for free, or download and listen at their own leasure for less than that per month (not to mention if you like classics, then you only have to pay once!)

Satellite radio is currently losing money and struggling to add to their subscribers fast enough to stay solvent... a price increase would really not help that. A merger would because then they could have ONE building for the 2 they have now, eliminate duplicate channels, have ONE set of satellites and satellite maintenance costs, ect..

YES, it would create a satellite radio monopoly... however it would not be a monopoly for the product delivered, only the means of delivering that product. A product which you can get via many other delivery methods. (except products that are EXCLUSIVE to sat radio like Stern, however that is also to free radio in the form of Rush Limbaugh, Tom Leykis, Bob and Tom. Comedy/Talk is the product, these are just examples of exclusive artists and already exist without the merger anyhow)

I am for it. I had to make the decision between music and sports. I had heard Sirius thriugh my brother in law's satellite system and decided on Sirius because it had the music I wanted to hear and the NHL. Now the NHL is gone and the Flyers are winning. I would be great to hear everything on one service, but I have to agree on the compitition aspect of it. One service and we are at the mercy of the bean counters which means when they want more money and the price will go up.

its amazes me how many people are so worried about a merger creating a bad monoploy .didnt broadcat radio have A MONOPLY since it was created .most of the radio stations i can recieve by me are owned by greater media . most people are worred that a monoploy will increase prices while at the same time lower the quality of the materal .doubtful cause there competition is 'free radio". so they will offer better product or die off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts