FCC Invites public comments on the XM/Sirius Merger...

The latest I have heard is taht the DoJ staff wanted to nix the merger but that the prior AG and others wanted to overrule that recommendation. I am not sure how the new AG fees about it. Some members of Congress have urged him to study the staff recommendations before deciding.

I have heard almost nothig about the FCC. Generally they follow the DoJ but they surprised many by coming out against the DISH/DTV merger before DoJ acted.

its amazes me how many people are so worried about a merger creating a bad monoploy .didnt broadcat radio have A MONOPLY since it was created .most of the radio stations i can recieve by me are owned by greater media . most people are worred that a monoploy will increase prices while at the same time lower the quality of the materal .doubtful cause there competition is 'free radio". so they will offer better product or die off

The difference is AM/FM is FREE you don't have to pay for it, their incentive is to attract viewers which boost ratings which in turn allows them to charge more for ads thus generating revenue. With SAT if they merge I will bet within a few years we will be paying much more and have more limited choices. And the meger media giants make it harder for niche players to get in and start a niche radio station, they just squash what they don't want. This is the facts of any industry where there are only 1 or 2 players. Some where there was a decent article that mentions that the best scenario for the consumer is when there are 3 or more competitors. With 2 you don't get as much competition, but with 3 or more there is usually a better advantage for the consumer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts