FCC rejects Liberty Media bid for Sirius XM control

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

whitewolf8214

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
May 13, 2004
Space
FCC rejects Liberty Media bid for Sirius XM control
By Liana B. Baker | Reuters – 22 hrs ago...
(Reuters) - A federal regulator dismissed John Malone's Liberty Media Corp's application to take control of Sirius XM Radio Inc with its current stake of 40 percent.

Friday's decision by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission came after Liberty Media, Sirius XM's largest shareholder, in March requested approval to take over the company's operating licenses, arguing that it had de facto control of Sirius XM with its large stake and board seats.

Liberty acquired its 40 percent stake in 2009 as part of deal in which it loaned the satellite radio provider $530 million to help it avoid bankruptcy.

But its strategy to use the FCC to transfer control of Sirius XM's operating licenses failed.

The FCC said Liberty's application was not "sufficient" to show it was in control of the company. Liberty was not able to get passwords, signatures and other information from Sirius XM to properly submit its application, the FCC said.

Liberty still has other options to gain control of Sirius XM, whose 22.3 million subscribers make it the largest U.S. satellite radio provider.

Executives at Liberty have said the company could boost its stake above 49.9 percent. It already holds five of Sirius XM's 13 board seats.

Sirius XM CEO Mel Karmazin said on a conference call last week that Sirius XM was not currently "combative" with Liberty. He said he did not know what Liberty planned to do with its 40 percent stake.

"If the time comes that Liberty's interests are different than the other 60 percent of shareholders, we will do what we have to do to protect the interest of our 60 percent of shareholders," he said.

Sirius XM and Liberty Media did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Saturday.

(Reporting By Liana B. Baker in New York; Editing by Jonathan Stempel, Bernard Orr)

doesnt surprise me knowing the fcc but i bet liberty media trie again to buy more control of it :)

Last edited:
doesnt surprise me knowing the fcc but i bet liberty media trie again to buy more control of it :)
Malone is raising the stakes with Sirius XM. Billionaire John Malone's Liberty Media Aims To Raise Sirius XM Stake To 45% - Forbes
According to the company, Liberty has a deal to acquire 302 million shares of Sirius at $2.15 per share. If the $605 million forward purchase contract is settled early in the third quarter as planned, Liberty would increase its ownership of the company to 45.2%. Tuesday’s announcement comes after Liberty’s effort to gain de facto control of Sirius failed to pass muster with the FCC, which said the application to transfer control was incomplete.

If it is the only one, it has to be the largest, that also makes it the smallest..... Simple deduction....

Muzak is an independent satellite music provider. They actually provide music channels to Dish. So, there is really more than one provider....

Muzak is an independent satellite music provider. They actually provide music channels to Dish. So, there is really more than one provider....
(other than dish) I thought they switche to a internet (ip based) delivery system and got rid of most of the satellites

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts