FCC Seeking to Close Programming Access Loophole

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
FCC seeking to close programming access loophole

By JOELLE TESSLER (AP)

WASHINGTON — Federal regulators are seeking to close a loophole that allows cable TV operators to withhold sporting events and other popular programming that they own from rival providers such as satellite TV.

The Federal Communications Commission will consider an order to close to the so-called "terrestrial loophole," which allows cable companies to get around access requirements in a 1992 federal cable law by distributing programming over landlines rather than satellite connections.

The Associated Press: FCC seeking to close programming access loophole

This would be nice.. Put Comcast in it's place.

And satellite dealers in the Philly market lick their chops in anticipation..... The #4 market has been closed to a lot of customers who didn't want to give up access to their sports teams.....

Does this mean we could get Comcast Sports South? That is one channel that the Comcast guys get that I don't!

Couldn't they just jack the price up unreasonably?
sure .But why would they want to?...Would it be prudent for Comcast tro retaliate against those who went to other providers by overcharging them. And do not forget, Comcast (any business for that matter) cannot charge more to one custmer and less to another in a manner to punish those who choose another method of delivery. So, if your theory proved out, Comcast would have to raise it's rates to all customers. Clearly the FCC would notice this and has the power to put a stop to such predatory pricing.
Comcast has been able to play it's little game with Philly sports fans for long enough. Party's over.

As a philly resident, it is amazing to see the # of sat dishes around knowing that you can't get philly sports. If/When this passes, I imagine a ton of people will be jumping ship from comcast plus all the local businesses/bars that have to have directv as well as comcast will save a truckload.

As a philly resident, it is amazing to see the # of sat dishes around knowing that you can't get philly sports. If/When this passes, I imagine a ton of people will be jumping ship from comcast plus all the local businesses/bars that have to have directv as well as comcast will save a truckload.
The Eagles (who account for most Philly sports fans) are on Fox, so people get them OTA, cable, or satellite. CSN-Philly does not have them.

What CSN-Philly has, is the Phillys and Sixers. People who arn't MLB or NBA fans don't care, since all college and NFL is available elsewhere.

(yes I know that I didn't mention the Flyers, but the numbers of NHL fans in the US is so low, it has no bearing on viewership)

Philadelphia Satellite Retailers! Start Your Engines (and Direct Mailings)!

Now we see just how many Flyers and Phillies fans are dying to switch....

sure .But why would they want to?...Would it be prudent for Comcast tro retaliate against those who went to other providers by overcharging them. And do not forget, Comcast (any business for that matter) cannot charge more to one custmer and less to another in a manner to punish those who choose another method of delivery. So, if your theory proved out, Comcast would have to raise it's rates to all customers. Clearly the FCC would notice this and has the power to put a stop to such predatory pricing.
Comcast has been able to play it's little game with Philly sports fans for long enough. Party's over.

I hope that party is over.

I hope they don't dilute CSN by offering it sat companies but then making CN8 / TCN-The Comcast Network, another sports network, by moving games there.

Right now TCN is all paid programming, 1/2 hr. of a taped show of "It's Your Call with Lynn Doyle" and then sports flow over, if both Flyers and Sixers are in playoffs and competing for example. IMO sports flow over could go back to OTA broadcast (like Ch.17) like back before, esp. now that MyNetwork is just a rerun service, but I know that won't happen.

At one time, CN8 used to actually have programming, and over 2 hours of live newscasts.

Granted Comcast would have to make that channel available as well, but if they are talking $2/mo/subscriber and then keeping 2 channels, it's more way to make games not easily accessible (if not affordable..compared to other markets) for Dish or DirecTV to carry.

As far as major providers that are not Comcast in Philadelphia:
Verizon Fios
Service Electric Cable-Allentown, RCN in Allentown
DirecTV and Dish Network, in no particular order.

I can't think of any other major providers.

Hopefully the presence of other providers esp. Service Electric a cable company, can keep the likelihood of Comcast doing tricks down to unlikely.

Last edited: