FCC Seeking to Close Programming Access Loophole

The Eagles (who account for most Philly sports fans) are on Fox, so people get them OTA, cable, or satellite. CSN-Philly does not have them.

What CSN-Philly has, is the Phillys and Sixers. People who arn't MLB or NBA fans don't care, since all college and NFL is available elsewhere.

(yes I know that I didn't mention the Flyers, but the numbers of NHL fans in the US is so low, it has no bearing on viewership)

But the Flyers are big in Philly. In general for the last 5-10 years, the attendance of a Flyers game would exceed that of a Sixers game, and I think ratings were respectable as well. Higher popularity of Flyers to Sixers.

I compare the two as the two play around the same season, with similar number of games, same arena, and given a choice, in the past people (including businesses) would more likely buy Flyers tickets to Sixers tickets at home.

I hope that party is over.

I hope they don't dilute CSN by offering it sat companies but then making CN8 / TCN-The Comcast Network, another sports network, by moving games there.

Right now TCN is all paid programming, 1/2 hr. of a taped show of "It's Your Call with Lynn Doyle" and then sports flow over, if both Flyers and Sixers are in playoffs and competing for example. IMO sports flow over could go back to OTA broadcast (like Ch.17) like back before, esp. now that MyNetwork is just a rerun service, but I know that won't happen.

At one time, CN8 used to actually have programming, and over 2 hours of live newscasts.

Granted Comcast would have to make that channel available as well, but if they are talking $2/mo/subscriber and then keeping 2 channels, it's more way to make games not easily accessible (if not affordable..compared to other markets) for Dish or DirecTV to carry.

As far as major providers that are not Comcast in Philadelphia:
Verizon Fios
Service Electric Cable-Allentown, RCN in Allentown
DirecTV and Dish Network, in no particular order.

I can't think of any other major providers.

Hopefully the presence of other providers esp. Service Electric a cable company, can keep the likelihood of Comcast doing tricks down to unlikely.
I guess Comcrap could do that. But why?
Yes in our cynical minds it is possible for managements of large compnaies to act childishly and in a retalitory nature.
BUt if one looks at this closely, what would Comcast gain with the predictable bad publicity?
I guess Comcast in Philly could move the pro sports teams off the RSDN chanel and put them on CN whatever it is.
QUestions...Is CSN Philly available in HD? Is CN8 available in HD.
Imagine the former being yes and tyhe latter being no.
I can hear the howls of prostest from Comcast viewers who would no longer be abale to watch thr SIxers, FLyers and Phillies in HD. OUCH!!!!

I guess Comcrap could do that. But why?
Yes in our cynical minds it is possible for managements of large compnaies to act childishly and in a retalitory nature.
BUt if one looks at this closely, what would Comcast gain with the predictable bad publicity?
I guess Comcast in Philly could move the pro sports teams off the RSDN chanel and put them on CN whatever it is.
QUestions...Is CSN Philly available in HD? Is CN8 available in HD.
Imagine the former being yes and tyhe latter being no.
I can hear the howls of prostest from Comcast viewers who would no longer be abale to watch thr SIxers, FLyers and Phillies in HD. OUCH!!!!

CSN Philly is available in HD.
The old CN8 was restructured to TCN and it now reports to CSN Philly. It had an HD feed but its no longer having one. Perhaps its seasonal.

From old posts on CSN Philly and TCN:

Any pssiblity of The Comcast Network for Philly? - dslreports.com

Comcast Network HD - dslreports.com

I meant originally some scenario where Comcast slowly moves games over each season...fans notice it, but the competing operators are without clue for a long time, and it goes under the radar as far as publicity. I don't know how much Comcast is charging for the TCN, but the hopefully there should be CSN Philly+TCN for a reasonable price that another competitor could pick both, and it's pricing would be similar to what other 4 team market RSN situations are. Maybe that's expecting too much.

My next question would be why is Comcast seeking to gain monopoly status at the risk of attracting attention from governmental regulators?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)