FCC seeking to close programming access loophole

Status
Please reply by conversation.
At issue here is that the original negotiations with DIRECTV made it so that they could maintain their exclusive status without any further open bidding process. DIRECTV attempted to negotiate a similar deal with MLB and the critters stepped in. As it is, they still managed to weasel a permanent exclusive on their partnership in the MLB network.

GREAT !!!!
I'm glad to see it.

Others had thier chance in the beginning, I'm glad the NFL held thier end of the bargin .... so far.

He said all of the right things to the FCC in order to get that NBC/Universal buyout complete for Comcast, although he did add this little ditty:

"He also pointed out that there is only one Comcast-affiliated network across its 39-state footprint that the company has not made available to all competitors--Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia, and that it is ready to do so as soon as DirecTV relinquished its exclusive access to NFL Sunday Ticket"

Grandstanding to say the least. We all know that D* did not have exclusive access to NFL Sunday Ticket. They ended up with an exclusive agreement because they were the only ones to pony up the cash. I would bet that there will be some rewriting of the language that will certainly not effect the D* contract with the NFL until this particular contract runs out. Then we will get to see the whole thing with NFL ST happen again and maybe this time D* will not be the only company with it, time will tell. My prediction is that D* will wrap up the rights to broadcast CSN Philly within the next 30 days.

Hopefully your prediction comes true. Another poster somewhere pointed out his statement doesn't explain why Dish can't get CSN Philly either.

"He also pointed out that there is only one Comcast-affiliated network across its 39-state footprint that the company has not made available to all competitors--Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia, and that it is ready to do so as soon as DirecTV relinquished its exclusive access to NFL Sunday Ticket"
This is the reason why I dont want the NBCU / COMCAST merger to be approved. If they are acting like this now then what kind of MONSTER are they going to turn into when they control all the NBCU properties and cable networks.

Agreed. There is a certain monopolistic arrogance about cable companies. Comcast is at the top of the list. They act like a utility instead of a business.

Just more double talk by Comcast, in the article Roberts says he "reserved the right to defend ourselves if any complaints should be filed." So in other words, they won't "challenge" the FCC ruling, but if anyone tries to use the ruling to gain access they will still fight it. :mad:

Here's the part I don't get. If Comcast's argument for not offering to D* is that D* has an exclusive contract for NFLST, why do they withhold the channel from E* also? They're afraid the sat cos would eat their lunch in their own backyard that's why.

Also, for the poster who said Comcast does not own the teams. You partially correct. They own 2 of the 3 three shown on CSN Philly. They own the Flyers, Sixers, and the arena (Wachovia Center) that they play in.

yeah, i have no clue what they meant when they said Comcast doesnt own the teams, when they own 50% of the big 4. Its now the Wells Fargo Center, yay 4th name change

Why do they withhold the channel from E* also?

Since the channel is currently only available via microwave, Comcast can make the claim they will negotiate for ST. If they change the delivery method to deliver it for E*, Comcast no longer has the loophole and would be forced to share the channel with both E* & D*

Since the channel is currently only available via microwave, Comcast can make the claim they will negotiate for ST. If they change the delivery method to deliver it for E*, Comcast no longer has the loophole and would be forced to share the channel with both E* & D*

I checked both...my D* and my microwave, neither got CSN Philly as of today!:p

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)