FCC Supports Dish Network Plan to Compete with Wireless Giants

chicagonettech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Title should read FCC BACKS Dish Network Plan to Compete with Wireless Giants - wishful thinking in my own mind, I guess . . .
Scott: Please correct title for me, thanks!

From the Washington Post:

The chairman of the Federal Communications Commission on Tuesday proposed to greenlight Dish Network’s long-fought plan to create a wireless service that would compete with those of giants AT&T and Verizon Wireless.

The plan, which needs the approval of the agency’s four other commissioners, would achieve a key FCC goal of creating fresh competition to the lucrative wireless industry, which is starting to resemble a near duopoly.

See the complete article here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...2-bb9b-288a310849ee_story.html?wpisrc=nl_tech

Last edited:
You need to edit the title of your post.

[h=1]FCC chairman backs Dish Network plan to compete with wireless giants[/h]

The question of course if they will back handed block the request by doing what Sprint requested and making 5MHZ unusable and low power on another 5MHZ?

That's the big question there... *tinfoil hat on* .. the FCC can talk a BIG GAME about "healthy competition", "anti-monopoly" and "fostering new technologies", but when it comes down to it, they've done very little to back it up. We have two companies that pretty much have the market cornered, and rather than pushing forward, we're seeing a pulling back... capping data speeds, throttling networks and creating very limiting usage tiers... all they while increasing prices!

So will the FCC work with or against making this a reality? I'd imagine Google has plenty of Lobby power on Capitol Hill, so hopefully Verizon and AT&T's special interest power (read: money) will be neutralized, for once.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts