FCC Votes to Demolish Cable's Stranglehold Over the Set Top Box

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/...bles-Stranglehold-Over-the-Set-Top-Box-136326

Annoying the cable industry to no end, the FCC today voted 3-2 along partisan lines to begin dismantling the cable industry's stranglehold over the uncompetitive cable set top box market. 99% of pay TV consumers pay $231 annually for clunky, often-outdated cable boxes that are usually not worth half of that. The FCC is imagining a future where -- like cable modems -- customers have their choice from a number of first and third party set top box options at lower prices and with better quality -- thanks to competition.

So under the FCC's new proposal, cable providers would be required to provide third party set top box vendors access to their existing programming lineups -- without the need for a CableCARD.

Note that this morning's vote effectively just cements a notice of proposed rulemaking (NPRM) that won't be made public and formally voted on until this Spring. After that, cable operators will have two years to adopt the new policy.

With $20 billion in captive revenue at stake, the cable industry has been engaged in a mammoth hissy fit over the last few weeks, claiming the proposal will hurt innovation, puppies, consumer privacy, and even minorities.

FCC boss Tom Wheeler brushed aside these complaints this morning as "red herrings" being pushed by an industry worried about lost revenue -- and the likely truth that greater access to third party options would only accelerate the industry's over-arching shift toward Internet video. His goal, Wheeler said, was to use competition to drive down costs and improve the quality of the traditional cable box.

"This is not complex," Wheeler said of the FCC's proposal," adding that the 1996 Telecom Act "explicitly instructed us to assure that there are competitive information devices, be it a box or an app.” "The law mandates it, technology allows it, the industry at one time proposed something similar to it, and consumers deserve a break and a choice."

The FCC is imagining a future where -- like cable modems -- customers have their choice from a number of first and third party set top box options at lower prices and with better quality -- thanks to competition.
you already have that via Tivo ;)

hhhmm will this apply yo sat providers also?

Actually, I think it does apply to satellite providers, based on an article from CNBC

"The proposed rule would require cable and satellite providers to give alternative device makers — their eventual competitors — access to cable and satellite programming."

I don't know but I would guess it will apply to Dish/Directv/Att. In addition to the cable companies, Tivo and google, they were all 3 part of the group working on a successor to the cable card

you already have that via Tivo ;)

Well, you still have the cablecard, and the notorious tuning adapter. TWC does not make it easy for someone to choose a TIVO. It took me 4 visits to finally get mine working, and I ended up doing all the tech work and resolving issues with the secret tier 3 support folks.

Now that it works, the tuning adapter still needs a reset a couple of times per week. This is not TIVOs issue, but TWC has no incentive to fix it either.

The fcc news release from there website says all pay tv providers cable/satellite. So it looks like the hopper will get some competition. Also Charley can someday sell the hopper platform to cable customers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts