FCC wants comments on changing sports blackout rules!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Get your comments in!

FCC wants comments on changing sports blackout rules

The Federal Communications Commission Media Bureau is asking for comments on a petition for rulemaking asking the agency to eliminate its sports blackout rules that prevent multichannel video programming distributors (MVPDs) from carrying a game if it is blacked out on local TV stations.
The petitioners, which include the Sports Fan Coalition, Public Knowledge, Media Access Project, National Consumers League and League of Fans, told the commission that it should do away with the rules because they impede the access of consumers to local sports events, "particularly with ticket prices and unemployment at their current highs."
According to the commission, the petitioners also said "sports leagues could privately negotiate the same results that the rule affords," thus making the FCC rules unnecessary. Additionally, the commission has the authority to make the change, the petitioners said.
The commission is seeking comment on the petition. Responses to the petition are due Feb. 13 and replies are due Feb. 28.
FCC commissioner Robert McDowell released a statement on the agency's website calling the re-examination of the rules "appropriate" in light of the changing marketplace and expressed pleasure with the decision of the Media Bureau to request comment on the petition.
"Taking a fresh look at this 36-year-old rule could be constructive as we look for rules to streamline and modernize. Over almost four decades, the economics and structure of both the sports and communications industries have experienced dramatic evolutions. We now live in a world with not only local broadcast stations, but also cable, satellite, the Internet and wireless, and where television and merchandizing revenues exceed ticket sales," he said in the statement.

I'd be shocked if anything major changed, although I would certainly applaud a over haul with the consumer in mind. Honestly the best thing that could happen would be for them to simply not allow black outs and Sunday Ticket to not be based on a single carrier. Hey a guy can dream can't he?

In this day & age, there should not be Blackouts. Who the hell can afford to go to a game nowadays?!?!

w7273l.jpg

I know the reasons for some of the blackouts. ie, ST - local affiliates, etc, but there shouldn't be blackouts for customers that are paying for the specific pro game pkgs, like CI, EI, etc.

In this day & age, there should not be Blackouts. Who the hell can afford to go to a game nowadays?!?!
Depends on what team in what city and what seats you want, but I've gotten some very good deals through StubHub. Not as good as when I got a free pass to all the Card's home games, but still pretty good, since I don't live in St. Louis anymore.

I'm in NY, so all my teams (Rangers, Giants...and Mets) are just ridiculously high. Throw in parking, tolls and gas and I could easily spend north of $150 to attend a game....alone. Quite honestly, I'd rather watch the game at home now anyway. I suppose getting old does that to a person...at least it did to me. That, and the HD revolution!!! But these owners and the leagues, really need to change their philosophy, which they never will. Players make tons and the owners charge you for breathing to help pay for the new stadium/arena so more people can come watch and pay these sickening prices.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)