Feature Request - Line 21 Overscan Correction

srenker

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Tacoma, WA
I don't know if this is the right place, but here's an idea for a new feature: Detect badly upconverted HD content that is showing line 21 (the flickering white bars that transmit closed captioning and V-chip info), and blank out that line. I have a Vizio set that I don't want to monkey with overscan in the service menu and void the warranty. More importantly for D*, though, I see postings in their help forum and elsewhere from less technical people who don't know what this is, think something's wrong, and never get a good answer on how to fix it.

You can have your TV professionaly calibrated without voiding the warranty and it will correct this. I have and do not see these "lines" on my displays. I am not sure this is specifically a DirecTV issue?

I don't know if this is the right place, but here's an idea for a new feature: Detect badly upconverted HD content that is showing line 21 (the flickering white bars that transmit closed captioning and V-chip info), and blank out that line. I have a Vizio set that I don't want to monkey with overscan in the service menu and void the warranty. More importantly for D*, though, I see postings in their help forum and elsewhere from less technical people who don't know what this is, think something's wrong, and never get a good answer on how to fix it.

You can have your TV professionaly calibrated without voiding the warranty and it will correct this. I have and do not see these "lines" on my displays. I am not sure this is specifically a DirecTV issue?

I think this is a SET issue.or maybe a network issue.
I have seen it on mine every once in a while.

When I do see it, it is only on certian channels, not all, which would move the issue to a Network, channel issue, not a D issue. If it was a D issue it would happen on ALL channels.

srenker,
If you bought the set from a quality A/V store and not a BB store they will come out and make the proper adjustments for you.

Jimbo

I don't know if HD Net is doing them anymore or not, if they are they are not on a regular basis.
I too would like to see a HD Net test pattern as I have not checked mine in quite some time now.

Jimbo

Now HDnet test patterns run every Saturday at 7:30am but on my 722 and I set the dvr up record it so I always had it while I had the 722.

This advice about adjusting my set is all well and good, but I make the suggestion looking at this from a business perspective. I bought my set from a warehouse store, so I don't think I'm going to get too much support for getting a tech in-home to adjust the overscan. And I know what the deal is with the line 21 appearing and it annoys me, but not enough to fight 1001 broadcasters to tell them their equipment they paid money to install in anticipation of 2/17/09 isn't good enough.

This suggestion was prompted by a question from a family member who was visiting me for Christmas. Other people who aren't as much into technology and don't read these forums are probably fuming at a problem they can't solve. I have been a software engineer, and while I am ignorant of the HR2x/H2x software platform, I can imagine that it would be possible to program the receiver to detect such a line and blank it out.

Certainly the lack of this functionality is not a show-stopper, but if it is easy to develop then it could be a way for D* to earn goodwill with customers who don't know or care how television technology works; they are just annoyed by flickering at the top of their HDTV set they paid a lot of money for and want it to stop.

This advice about adjusting my set is all well and good, but I make the suggestion looking at this from a business perspective. I bought my set from a warehouse store, so I don't think I'm going to get too much support for getting a tech in-home to adjust the overscan. And I know what the deal is with the line 21 appearing and it annoys me, but not enough to fight 1001 broadcasters to tell them their equipment they paid money to install in anticipation of 2/17/09 isn't good enough.

This suggestion was prompted by a question from a family member who was visiting me for Christmas. Other people who aren't as much into technology and don't read these forums are probably fuming at a problem they can't solve. I have been a software engineer, and while I am ignorant of the HR2x/H2x software platform, I can imagine that it would be possible to program the receiver to detect such a line and blank it out.

Certainly the lack of this functionality is not a show-stopper, but if it is easy to develop then it could be a way for D* to earn goodwill with customers who don't know or care how television technology works; they are just annoyed by flickering at the top of their HDTV set they paid a lot of money for and want it to stop.

The reasons above continue to point to the DVR as the flaw or the easy solution to repair BUT the DVR is not the issue; its the display. AND it does not matter where you bought the display there are individuals / companies that perform these calibrations as a job. This is all you need done; its that easy. Why have the DVR coded / programed to do something it has no business messing with and for some users like myself (likely the majority) that don't even have the scan issue? You may cause more issues for users like us who's displays are already correct.

The reasons above continue to point to the DVR as the flaw or the easy solution to repair BUT the DVR is not the issue; its the display. AND it does not matter where you bought the display there are individuals / companies that perform these calibrations as a job. This is all you need done; its that easy. Why have the DVR coded / programed to do something it has no business messing with and for some users like myself (likely the majority) that don't even have the scan issue? You may cause more issues for users like us who's displays are already correct.

agreed.

IF it happened on ALL channels, it would be one thing, but it doesn't... on mine it doesn't even happen on the same channel all the time.
It's very intermittent and nothing I'm going to lose any sleep over.

If it happened everytime I turned a channel on that would be different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts