GEOSATpro Feature Request: Manual Aspect Ratio

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DRCars

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 16, 2010
Southern USA
Would it be possible to force a 4:3 pillar box setting (4:3PB - black bands on left and right) for TV System > Aspect Ratio?

I have seen channels that can not be displayed properly using any of Auto, 16:9, 4:3PS, 4:3LB. They are 4:3 SD (480i) and are stretched by the MicroHD to widescreen (16:9) regardless of what is chosen. 4:3PS crops both sides and stretches to full width making everything even fatter and shorter. 4:3LB squashes the picture (black bands at top and bottom) and stretches it to the full width of the screen.

DVBViewer's "Auto" setting does the same thing as the MicroHD "Auto" setting but in DVBViewer you can force a 4:3 pillar box aspect ratio.

An example of this can be seen on that new NBC retro channel that I won't name here since I wouldn't want to possibly break any WUT rules.

Edit: I checked and the channel I am speaking of is on "The List" so I think it is alright to speak of it. It is listed on AMC 1 11840 H 30000 as Universal Sports (that's not what it really is) on SID 7.

DRCars

Last edited:
Yeah, Cozi is this way. I don't think it's possible, BECAUSE they are actually broadcasting the 4x3 signal as 16x9 better known as "Stretch-o-Vision"

If you forced it (somehow) into 4x3 in this instance, it would cut the sides of the transmitted picture off thus losing it, and it would still look funky.

When you choose 4:3 in DVBViewer it does not cut off the sides, so I know it is possible. Whether it's easy or not would be another matter and I would understand if it was not worth the effort.

DRCars

When you choose 4:3 in DVBViewer it does not cut off the sides, so I know it is possible. Whether it's easy or not would be another matter and I would understand if it was not worth the effort.

DRCars

Well now, that sounds promising! Are you saying when you do this in DVBViewer it actually also proportions it correctly?

Can you try that with Cozi on 103w and see if it works on their broadcast?

Anamorphic transmissions vary by the needs and wishes of the broadcaster. These are not set standards and I have observed a few different ratios. Another example is the 97w KU Daystar channel.

Does your TV have any ratio selections? I use my Samsung TV settings to adjust the ratio on these non-standard ratios. Typically, I leave the microHD aspect set to "Auto" and if an anamorphic "Stretch-o-Vision" video is not to my viewing preference, the TV's RCU aspect button provides several selections that correct for this visually incompatible display ratio.

@primestar31:

Yes, it (DVBViewer) actually proportions it correctly. It also has independent adjustment of both horizontal and vertical dimensions.

@SatelliteAV:

Unfortunately, neither of my HDTVs will unstretch. They will stretch a 4:3 (stretch-o-vision) but they won't unstretch once it is 16:9.

I really like the MicroHD but it's stuff like this that keeps me cranking up the PC.

DRCars

What happens if the microHD is set to 4:3 window and the TV stretches for one of the 16:9 option settings like 16:9 overscan or "to Fit"?

Strange that your TV is so limited in ratio settings during this transition this transitional era... Display settings are where these type of niche settings are applied. Definitely not very user friendly to require a viewer to enter the menu for one channel. :eek:

Yes, there are some unusual niche settings that broadcasters use that keep us trying to determine where R&D is best placed. If the fix is for a single channel or variable for several channels, development time and expenses often don't make much sense.

I changed the TV System to 480i output and selected Normal (SD) format on my TV and the stretch-o-vision is corrected. It now has a 4:3 pillar bar picture.

Thanks for your suggestion. I had forgotten that you could dumb down the MicroHD to 480 res.

DRCars

I had to set my Samsung TV to correctly display COZI TV the first night I found it had programming airing. I was thinking they were still in testing phases. I noticed differences between some of the various programs I've watched. What was good for one, wasn't for the other.

Reminds me of the various audio tracks on the other NBC feeds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts