Please reply by conversation.

chapelrun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
Berryville, VA
I have a question about FEC Ratio and Dish size - - -

In general terms - - the closer to ONE the ratio is the bigger dish you need - correct?

For example - most 3/4 FEC stations I get fine with a 75cm dish but 5/6 FEC usually have trouble.

To even go deeper - - - other than asking - - - if a KU station is ITC and 5/6 FEC but you cannot fully tune it might it be something else like 4:2:2 or DVB-S2. Is there a way to tell or best guess this?

I currently have 3 dishes all KU band and the biggest is 1 meter. Come springtime I want to get into 4:2:2 and/or DVB-S2 but don't feel like I have read enough yet. Please point me to the required reading.

In general, yes using bigger dish will help you increase signal LEVEL, but there are other variable affecting packets corruption with high values of FEC: LNBF parameters - noise, cross-polarization, interference from adjusted sat, etc ...

I have a question about FEC Ratio and Dish size - - -

In general terms - - the closer to ONE the ratio is the bigger dish you need - correct?
yes

For example - most 3/4 FEC stations I get fine with a 75cm dish but 5/6 FEC usually have trouble.
huh....I have no issues with anything on KU as long as it puts out enough power. Even Patient & Tip TV opn AMC3 which is 7/8 FEC I get fine on a 76cm dish

To even go deeper - - - other than asking - - - if a KU station is ITC and 5/6 FEC but you cannot fully tune it might it be something else like 4:2:2 or DVB-S2. Is there a way to tell or best guess this?
depends on what you mean by "cant tune it"...DVB-S2 you would know if it is or not because DVB-S2 you cant find on a blind scan. 4:2:2 the picture has tearing in it and you cant see it. weak signal (or not enough signal for a higher FEC) would be pixeling

I currently have 3 dishes all KU band and the biggest is 1 meter. Come springtime I want to get into 4:2:2 and/or DVB-S2 but don't feel like I have read enough yet. Please point me to the required reading.

4:2:2 and 4:2:0 work the same SD wise. My Quali-TV which can get both doesnt care if its 4:2:2 or 4:2:0, as long as there is enough signal to keep it stable. Unless I scan it in on the Coolsat 5000 which cannot see 4:2:2 (only the Q can see 4:2:2 from a set top box perspective) I wouldnt know the difference.

KU doesnt have many different FEC's. Most are 3/4 but on C-Band there are more examples. Example is on G16. The Networks are at 3/4 and I can keep them stable on a 6 foot dish with a 30 quality on the Pansat 1500. But the Equity mux on G3 which is 7/8 FEC I need at LEAST a 70 quality (preferably 75) to keep them stable.

Also some receivers handle the higher FEC different. The Coolsat 8000 keeps the Equity channels more stable than the Pansat does

Gets even more complicated. For example, the new Ciel 2 satellite uses 2/3 with 8psk for everthing except the southeast where rain fade is a concern. In the southeast, they will use 5/6 but with qpsk. The 8psk is more susceptible to downlink problems. So, you have to look at more than just the FEC ratio .

Nelson61, Ciel-2 did not reach the 129W yet. And we didn't get real signals from it; and Dish changing FEC pretty often ( perhaps follow weather reports ?). Don't take recent NIT changes as real facts, especially talking about future setup - all Dish receivers use AUTO FEC mode; I've seen many times discrepancies between NIT and real FEC on Dish sats/tpns.

A few more questions

If DVB-S2 cannot be found with a blind scan - - how do you find them?

Does LyngSat list these as DVB-S2 ?? Do folks have another strategy to find DVB-S2 ?

Some stations found with a blind scan seem to want to display but have a "tearing" or "ripping" sound but no picture as Iceberg decribes earlier. These are most like 4:2:2 - - - correct? Would a PC card be the cheapest way get into 4:2:2 ?

If DVB-S2 cannot be found with a blind scan - - how do you find them?

Does LyngSat list these as DVB-S2 ?? Do folks have another strategy to find DVB-S2 ?
Lyngsat lists them as DVB-S2...see AMC3 or AMC21. Folks use spectrum analyzers to find them

Some stations found with a blind scan seem to want to display but have a "tearing" or "ripping" sound but no picture as Iceberg decribes earlier. These are most like 4:2:2 - - - correct? Would a PC card be the cheapest way get into 4:2:2 ?

yeah a PC card would be the cheapest

Nelson61, Ciel-2 did not reach the 129W yet. And we didn't get real signals from it; and Dish changing FEC pretty often ( perhaps follow weather reports ?). Don't take recent NIT changes as real facts, especially talking about future setup - all Dish receivers use AUTO FEC mode; I've seen many times discrepancies between NIT and real FEC on Dish sats/tpns.

The filings on the spotbeams stated the FEC and modulation for those beams.

I get my information from the FCC filings which specify exactly what they will do.

As I saw many times - Dish changing FEC constantly. I got my own solution - use Auto mode.

I haven't seen them change the FEC except when E11 slid into place. They seem pretty constant on the FEC but I could be wrong as I don't really view much on their TP's, mainly just locking on for 10-15 seconds to see a few things.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts