Status
Please reply by conversation.

ksmithtwn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2006
Canada
Hey folks,

After 3 years, I am finally fed up with using analog receivers to tune my signals... So I'm looking to get a FTA box to not only tune, but now watch my feeds...

For example, I want to watch feeds on AMC 6... Will these receivers allow me to not only tune these signals, but also watch them?

Pansat 2700A
Viewsat Platinum
CW-600S Premium

I'm looking for something cheap, those three are the one's I've seen for sale so far.. Will they do what I'm looking for?

Thanks for putting up with me guy, I appreciate it!

Hey folks,

After 3 years, I am finally fed up with using analog receivers to tune my signals...
not to be blunt....but....ABOUT FRIGGIN TIME!! :D

So I'm looking to get a FTA box to not only tune, but now watch my feeds...
most of them do that ;)

For example, I want to watch feeds on AMC 6... Will these receivers allow me to not only tune these signals, but also watch them?

Pansat 2700A
Viewsat Platinum
CW-600S Premium
chuck the CW600 out....no blind scan. Thats a necessity
Pansat 2700 has a great blind scan. I use an older model the 1500. Slow as dirt but very stable
Viewsat I've hard bad things about the blind scan

Otherwise a Coolsat 4000/5000/6000 would work too. Fast blind scan and easy to use :)
Fortec Merc II/Dynamic is good but I know there are some quirks when it scans...the symbol rate can really be off. The Classic is an older model but really stable too

Honestly a Pansat or Coolsat you cant really go wrong with

Yes, it was your "your still using an analog receiver to aim" post that motivated me to move on up...

I can deal with slow, and stable! I think the Pansat was the cheaper of the three anyways, so that's good.. I'll keep you posted.. Thanks again for the extra push ;)

Glad I could help ;)

Once you get digital, it is soooooooooooooo much easier to tune a dish

program in a known transponder when aiming dish and aim it. Wait for signal quality to move. If you think you're in the right area, blind scan (smart scan, power scan) and see what shows up. Match the transponders with thelist or Lyngsat and boom, you can find what sat you're on. I do that a lot. When I move the big dish out I bring up a known transponder on the Pansat 1500 and move the dish until the quality jumps. Works pretty slick :)

Tuning dishes can be easy? Really? :p

I found someone who has a Coolsat 5000 for sale, he has no remote with it...

He has no idea how much it's worth, and neither do I... What should I ask for it, esp. since it doesn't have a remote... Can I use a different remote? Another FTA remote?

How does this deal look? http://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad/9809955

missed the point:

Right now, you use your Analog receiver to move the dish and the polarity servo.
You need to replace both functions.
Get Sadoun's Gbox v3000 motor controller.
Your DVB receiver will issue commands to move to a remembered satellite position, whenever you change birds.

Then, to control your polarity servo, either use a Pansat 2700 (?) or the 3500.
Both have servo control connectors on them.
OR, replace your feedhorn with an electrically controlled one from any of our Gold Sponsors at the top of the page.
The C1 or C2 from SatAV would be an easy choice, if you just want C-band and no complications.
Then, any of the modern DVB receivers would select V/H polarity.

If you're wanting Ku on the BUD, just remember: the dual-band LNBF's are a bit touchy for tuning.
But when done right they seem fine.
The WSI/Galaxy DMX741 would be a suitable recommendation.

Depends on how easy it is to find receivers. I stumbled on a deal and got my Coolsat 6000 brand new in the box for $24.00 last year.

agreed
I just picked up on Ebay a Coolsat 5000 (w/remote), a Pansat 2500 clone (w/remote) and a BEC 6600 (no remote) for around $45 shipped :)

sure they have hackware in them but we're fixing that :)

Check around...you might be able to find some deals out there

missed the point:

Anole
He's working with KU dishes only (see his sig)

Well, I guess I missed the point! - :rolleyes:
In best Gilda Radner voice: "[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Litella"]Emily Litella - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]"

Now, as to anyone tuning up Ku using an analog receiver . . . - :rant:
Are you nuts? Yea, it's better than a PCI card... :eek:

As for receivers, get a Visionsat IV-200, and add a USB hard drive.

One of the best at digging out signals is the Satopia/Icon. Don't like the motor control but have it on another TV for getting nice finds.
I would take a Viewsat Ultra over a Coolsat any day. Many here like Coolsat, but when I hook up both at the same time to a dual LNB and scan a satellite the Coolsat 5000 misses many that the Viewsat finds. I find the signal meters, way out on Coolsat, and that drives me crazy (Can show a Q signal as 67 but is more like 35),
Using a Pansat 9200HD in the mix now for SD and finally HD. Not happy that it only does 8 khz steps (so it is said), feel I am missing things it should find.

Best thing is, most are now cheaper than dirt, and you can pick up a few and test for yourself and find a favorite, and put others on a second TV or keep as back-up.:)

agreed
I just picked up on Ebay a Coolsat 5000 (w/remote), a Pansat 2500 clone (w/remote) and a BEC 6600 (no remote) for around $45 shipped :)

sure they have hackware in them but we're fixing that :)

Check around...you might be able to find some deals out there

I had a bid on those, wish I bid high after seeing they sold for $44.

Thanks for the feedback, guys :) I'm quiet excited!

I got an offer, I have a 17" LCD I am looking to get rid of, someone offered to trade it for a Pansat 2700A.... Worth it?!

Guess I should have looked.

I just won a Coolsat 5000 for $33.49 shipped. The shipping was 14.99 from Ontario, Canada which is right across the river from me. Hopefully the shipping doesnt take to long.

Thanks for the feedback, guys :) I'm quiet excited!

I got an offer, I have a 17" LCD I am looking to get rid of, someone offered to trade it for a Pansat 2700A.... Worth it?!

I don't think so.
I got a Coolsat 5000 from Ebay over a year ago for about $17.00, maybe I just got lucky but I would say that 17" TV would be worth way more than a FTA receiver unless it is a HD unit.

Edit: Ahem.......I mean I'd be glad to trade you my Coolsat 5000 for your 17" LCD........I'm in Ontario too........

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts