Fed up with 922

hahler2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Ashton, SD
Ok I've officially had it with my 922. Especially now that you can get the sling adapter for the 722 and do the same thing for 4 dollars less a month. What a joke. My 922 the last couple of weeks has been missing a lot of recordings and I'm fed up with that too. I talked to a csr tonight and they said the only way they would switch me to a 722k is if i payed 200 dollars. Which is a joke. I upgraded to the 922 for 200 when i signed up for dish a few months ago. Does anyone have any ideas or tips to get switched to the 722k for free?

I feel your pain and I 'm going through similar problems with the 922. I am swapping mine out for a 722k from the online retailer I bought it from last May. But in your circumstances you leased yours, so try writing to ceo@echostar.com and see if they will help make the swap out for a 722k . Tell them of your unhappiness with the 922 ,the bugs, etc and ask them nicely if you can swap it.

I feel this receiver is going to be the red headed step child of the dish receivers in the future. You figured it out just like I did that you can save the extra $4.00 a month using a sling adapter and a 722/722k dvr, and you can still get the same sling ability if not more. I don't know about your experience with the sling on the 922 ,but I have to try to sign in and out several times to get it to work and when it does , it doesn't always look good in hd or what they call hd .

Good Luck.

Is it really that bad? I'm debating between swapping out my 622 for a 722 and adding the sling adapter, vs. just getting a 922... I've been reading through the forums, and it seems like some people love the 922, and some are having all kinds of problems with it...

seanb724 said:
Is it really that bad? I'm debating between swapping out my 622 for a 722 and adding the sling adapter, vs. just getting a 922... I've been reading through the forums, and it seems like some people love the 922, and some are having all kinds of problems with it...

Be safe get the 722 with the sling adaptor.

IF you enjoy paying an additional $4.00 a month for built in sling that sometimes works,but mostly doesn't , then the 922 is for you. If you want updated guide ,menu tiles, channel logos , larger hard drive ,then the 922 is for you. You can add manual timers and dish pass timers only through the remote access of DISH's website. The google integration doesn't work with the 922 either but that is another $4.00 monthly fee if you have a 722 or 722k, but not really essential to use it with a 922 . I am doing it now with a 922 with basic integration. But honestly everything you can do with the 922 ,you can do with the 722k with a sling adapter and for less monthly cost.

I had never considered a sling until I saw the 922 and sling adapter, so maybe I should look into that a bit. I like the idea of an integrated unit to do everything.

I had never considered a sling until I saw the 922 and sling adapter, so maybe I should look into that a bit. I like the idea of an integrated unit to do everything.

I suggest that you do a search on this forum for 922 complaints, bugs etc before you make your decision. Also remember there will be an up front cost of $200.00 -$400.00 (based on your credit ) and a 2 year commitment to DISH if you upgrade to a 922.

I just got into a new 2 year contract -- I should have waited! I was on an old package that no longer exists -- the Absoulte HD -- and I could not add the two region sports networks (FSN and MASN) and wanted them for the upcoming college bball season. To do that I had to go to a new contract, and decided on the HD for life package which required the 2 years...

As far as the 922, I have been reading through the forums here, and I'm curious if it's more of a case of the complainers are posting and for those who have a working 922, they are not complaining. Nearly all of the reviews of the 922 from 3rd party sites seem to like it a lot, but maybe they don't spend nearly as much time with it as real owners.

So when I saw the complaints on the 922 here, I thought maybe the 722 with the sling adapter is the way to go. I've seen some say it is a bit slower through the usb than a standalone. I have no idea what is available with Sling direct, so now it's time to research that.

/Sean

As a 6 month owner of the 922 , I can tell you that the 922 suffered many software bugs. I used to do a daily power cord reboot to try to prevent lost recordings. Most of the bugs have been fixed ,but there is still the tv 2 user stopped/deleted bug, that hits when you try to record 3 or 4 things at a time. A very BIG bug to me that totally causes me to want my old 722k back. I even added L.A. distant networks from AAD to make sure I didn't over challenge my 922 and I wouldn't miss any shows recordings . The 922 has come a long way and it is supposed to get new software to enable tv 2 for independent tv watching in another room. The sling capability is a off and on proposition for me with the 922. It often doesn't work and the picture quality is less than stellar on my computer screen. I have Road runner Turbo boost cable internet so it isn't my network. I like the channel logos, the bigger hard drive, the new media tiles guides etc, but I bought this box for the potential to sling in hd to another hd tv in the same house. That sling extender that was needed to do this , has been removed from the DISH site now. So who knows if this feature will ever see the market now. But you can do all the 922 does now and even do manual and dish pass timers through the 722k itself,unlike the 922 where you have to do it through the remote access feature on the dish site. IF you add a sling adapter and an external hard drive support to the 722k , you can do it all for less monthly cost. The dvr fee is $10.00 with the 922 and only $6.00 for the 722k. Not to mention the up front upgrade cost of anywhere from $200.00 - $400.00 depending on your credit with DISH.

Upon doing a little more research I think the problems with my 922 are faulty equipment somewhere. Sometimes when I power on my 922 or change a station it will tell me that I have no signal. MOST of the time when this happens if I wait for a few minutes it comes back. However, sometimes when it happens the signal will not come back. If I do a check switch the 922 won't be able to find all the satellites. So either there is something wrong with my dish or there is something wrong with my receiver. I had a tech out here and he replaced a couple of cables but that's all he did and the problem went away for about three weeks. So my question is is the receiver, the dish, or the triplexer bad?

As a side note, sling has always worked fine for me. The only issue i have with sling is the lack of no hd and that you have to use the dish remote access.

As far as the 922, I have been reading through the forums here, and I'm curious if it's more of a case of the complainers are posting and for those who have a working 922, they are not complaining.

Yup. Pretty much.

Upon doing a little more research I think the problems with my 922 are faulty equipment somewhere.

Probably, but there are some people that have had 3 different 922's and have had nothing but problems.

As a side note, sling has always worked fine for me. The only issue i have with sling is the lack of no hd and that you have to use the dish remote access.

+1
I never have problems with the DISH site itself functioning. My 922's connection icon in the banner will turn red, but once I reset my bridge to make it green it works like a champ.

hahler2 said:
Ok I've officially had it with my 922. Especially now that you can get the sling adapter for the 722 and do the same thing for 4 dollars less a month. What a joke. My 922 the last couple of weeks has been missing a lot of recordings and I'm fed up with that too. I talked to a csr tonight and they said the only way they would switch me to a 722k is if i payed 200 dollars. Which is a joke. I upgraded to the 922 for 200 when i signed up for dish a few months ago. Does anyone have any ideas or tips to get switched to the 722k for free?

Personally I love my 922. It's a judged nicer DVR experience. I've only had it for a few weeks but it has been glitch-free. I may try to negotiate some credits though, for the extra fees.

I have had the 922 for a long time. It is much better than it used to be, but I do not trust it for my main recording DVR. I do not reccomend it over the 722k yet. If they get the recording bugs fixed (i.e. record too many things at the same time and it loses some recordings), it will be a good receiver. But, it I suspect it will always stay behind the 722k in new features (like google TV). It was a nice 3 year project for Dish, but I think they have moved on and are devoting resources to other things and letting the 922 slowly get fixed.

I have had the 922 for a long time. It is much better than it used to be, but I do not trust it for my main recording DVR. I do not reccomend it over the 722k yet. If they get the recording bugs fixed (i.e. record too many things at the same time and it loses some recordings), it will be a good receiver. But, it I suspect it will always stay behind the 722k in new features (like google TV). It was a nice 3 year project for Dish, but I think they have moved on and are devoting resources to other things and letting the 922 slowly get fixed.

I agree with you on the direction that DISH is headed in regards to the 922. I think DISH has decided to pursue a model where you can add new features to your existing receivers instead . First there was the external hard drive support for both the dual tuner dvrs and to turn a 211k in to a dvr. Then came the google box with or without a monthly fee depending on who you buy it from. Then the latest addition is the sling adapter to turn a 722 or 722k into a sling receiver without any monthly fee. I think DISH has finally got the message from the public. WE don't want any more monthly fees!

The 922 was developed and created before they went fully towards this model and as such you can't escape the extra $4.00 monthly fee combined with your $6.00 dvr fee=$10.00. As such, I think this model will be a orphaned receiver for a select few subs who can afford to upgrade to or buy out right and will die out eventually because is seems to take a very long time to get some features that are already in existing receivers.

I think DISH needs to concentrate on coming out with full multi-room viewing web networking like DIRECTV has, using existing coax already in homes to do hd in your house to other tvs. This would be so cool if you could watch any dvr on any hd tv in your house and share programming. This is a useful customer feature and you wouldn't even need the now ,pulled from the website, sling extender/catcher. IF DISH actually added this , I wouldn't mind paying a small $3.00 -$4.00 monthly fee to be able to do this.

Last edited:
I think the 922 interface will live on. But, I do not thing the next big receiver from Dish will be a 722/922 add on, but instead a whole house DVR. They will probably use the 922 interface now that it has been debugged. Hopefully they will have the multiple recording issues debugged with it too. Essentially I see the 922 interface as being the future of Dish network, but the 922 being relegated to the sidelines as the whole house DVR replaces it.

I think the 922 interface will live on. But, I do not thing the next big receiver from Dish will be a 722/922 add on, but instead a whole house DVR. They will probably use the 922 interface now that it has been debugged. Hopefully they will have the multiple recording issues debugged with it too. Essentially I see the 922 interface as being the future of Dish network, but the 922 being relegated to the sidelines as the whole house DVR replaces it.

I think you may be right, but a whole house dvr vs multi room viewing? I would rather have the networked multi-room viewing capability. But if they do a whole house dvr ,they better not use sling to do it . I think that hd over coax would be the best way to go.

I do not know what they will use for the whole house DVR for room separate from the main DVR. I just heard that they are working feverishly on the whole house DVR problem from my friends in the chip set industry. They might use sling technology since the bought the company, but I think that it would just be easier to send the MPEG-2/MPEG-4 bit stream using some sorts of security to the other TVs. Since DIRECTV is moving fast to whole home DVR tech with 5 tuners, I see Dish announcing a whole home DVR at CES to look like they are on top of the situation, but I do not know when they could have it ready to actually ship to the end user.

I do not know what they will use for the whole house DVR for room separate from the main DVR. I just heard that they are working feverishly on the whole house DVR problem from my friends in the chip set industry. They might use sling technology since the bought the company, but I think that it would just be easier to send the MPEG-2/MPEG-4 bit stream using some sorts of security to the other TVs. Since DIRECTV is moving fast to whole home DVR tech with 5 tuners, I see Dish announcing a whole home DVR at CES to look like they are on top of the situation, but I do not know when they could have it ready to actually ship to the end user.

Knowing DISH's history , they will show the newest receiver at CES working with all kinds of great features and then take a year or two to get it to market and then it will be released in beta , with few working features. Then over the year of the release, it will finally work, kind of like the existing receivers that are already on the market , through software updates. Then one by one the promised features that were supposed to be included, will be cut in favor of some new receiver with the promise of better cutting edge features. Oh wait a minute, that is the history of the 922. But unfortunately it is also the history of the 721, 921, and even the web tv/dishplayers going back to 1999.;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)