Fed up with 922

mike123abc said:
I have had the 922 for a long time. It is much better than it used to be, but I do not trust it for my main recording DVR. I do not reccomend it over the 722k yet. If they get the recording bugs fixed (i.e. record too many things at the same time and it loses some recordings), it will be a good receiver. But, it I suspect it will always stay behind the 722k in new features (like google TV). It was a nice 3 year project for Dish, but I think they have moved on and are devoting resources to other things and letting the 922 slowly get fixed.

Hmm. I record a LOT of stuff and haven't lost anything yet (knock on wood!). GoogleTV is a joke for now. I'd much rather have the 922s nice UI and searching and integrated Sling than GoogleTV. Hopefully GTV gets better and the providers unblock their content, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

IF you enjoy paying an additional $4.00 a month for built in sling that sometimes works,but mostly doesn't , then the 922 is for you. If you want updated guide ,menu tiles, channel logos , larger hard drive ,then the 922 is for you. You can add manual timers and dish pass timers only through the remote access of DISH's website. The google integration doesn't work with the 922 either but that is another $4.00 monthly fee if you have a 722 or 722k, but not really essential to use it with a 922 . I am doing it now with a 922 with basic integration. But honestly everything you can do with the 922 ,you can do with the 722k with a sling adapter and for less monthly cost.
What he said!

Just wanted to add that for me, it's partly a cost issue and partly a bug/feature issue. I paid $200 plus $4 per month extra for the flagship receiver, only to learn that the 722k would have all the same features for less.

As far as bugs are concerned, it's better than it used to be, but I'm still seeing the stopped/deleted bug, that hits when you try to record 3 or 4 things at a time. I always record two of everything because of this bug. Usually one out of the two recordings will be ok.

On the 722, I would typically record the OTA and satellite episode for all 'new' versions of the show. I recorded the satellite version of the shows as a backup in case the OTA signal failed for some reason. The 722 allowed you to not only record a duplicate show, but all duplicate shows with one click. Just to clarify, I don’t want reruns, just duplicate 'new' shows. Now with the 922, I have to go through the schedule list and select each show one at a time and mark the duplicate show to 'record this.' Again, on the 722, you could mark 'record this and all duplicate shows.' Very time consuming to do this week after week.

Some people have mentioned that they liked the tiled menus of the 922. However, the tiles do not support the use of the numeric buttons to access menu functions. On the 722, you could navigation the menu tree using the numeric buttons on your remote. For example, if want to access Closed Captions after selecting Menu, you press 9-6-1 (or something like that). On the 922, you can’t do that. You end up having to press the arrow keys to navigate. It now takes more than 15 sequences to turn captions on/off.

Search History is buried at the bottom of the search type droplist menu. If you search for something, it takes several clicks to get back to the history. On the 722, you could easily get back to it with one click because there is a big “History” button right on the screen.

Also, on the 722, you could select one or more search history items and delete that from the list. Otherwise, the list gets polluted over time.

The menus look slicker on the 922, but 722 was much more user friendly.

Well I let Dish tech support convince me to try another 922 as a replacement instead of swapping to a 722. I told them that was fine as long as 1: it was a new 922 not a refurbished, and 2: if this one fails too they replace it with a 722k at no charge. She said that shouldn't be a problem. So we will see how this one works out. So far so good. I do like 110 software. With every update this receiver keeps getting better so maybe there's some hope yet.

mpeltz said:
The menus look slicker on the 922, but 722 was much more user friendly.

I guess to a certain extent it comes down to preference, but with my experience the 722 is a lot less user friendly especially when it comes to editing timers you already have set or when resolving recording conflicts. I'm sorry but I just think the 722 isn't even close to the 922 on being user friendly. No way! Not even close!

I guess to a certain extent it comes down to preference, but with my experience the 722 is a lot less user friendly especially when it comes to editing timers you already have set or when resolving recording conflicts. I'm sorry but I just think the 722 isn't even close to the 922 on being user friendly. No way! Not even close!
Just count the number of steps it takes to turn closed captions on/off with the 922 vs. 722. It's no contest, 722 hands down.

But I agree with you specifically on resolving conflicts, the 922 is easier. For me, I rarely find myself needing to resolve a conflict, but I'm always turning closed captions on/off when the actors mumble and I can't understand what they said.

Setting the time priority is easier on the 722 as well. Try this exercise. Add a timer, then try move the priority of that timer to #1. On the 722, I could do that with very few clicks because they had a move to the top in the priority option. On the 922, that option was removed. So, you end up have to click as many times as you have timers. For example, if you already had 50 timers and added #51, you would have to click 50 times to move that new timer to priority position #1. Again, 722 again wins, no contest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)