Feedhorn alignment tolerance? Dish string tolerance?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

delta_charlie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2008
Hi all, I came up with a simple way to brace the BUD so I can safely remove the bolt from the actuator and then move the dish as far to the east as it will go. What a difference! I can easily reach the feedhorn now and service/check things.

bud_brace.jpg

bud_wayeast.jpg

Now that I can reach the feedhorn I started checking things. First was the feedhorn centering. It was more involved because of the octagonal shape of the dish. The hub had a small hole at the center so I used it to measure out the same distance at three points then found the radius of 1/3 of the dish. From these three points I checked the distance to the center of the feedhorn and found it was out a little (two of the points are the same but the third was 1/2 inch off) so it is off center a bit. Anybody have a tolerance for a 10 foot dish?

speedsquare.jpg

Next I used the same hole in the center of the hub to check the feedhorn alignment. Came up with the idea of using a simple speed square and a string tied to a nail and pushed into the center hole to check the alignment. (I'm too cheap to buy a laser level and the string worked quite well).

Found the feedhorn was off quit a lot and adjusted it closer. Still need to work on it some more but I picked up a few points on the SQ so I must be improving things.

Next I ran two strings across the face of the dish and found 1/2 inch between the strings. What would be a good tolerance on the string test? I plan to do it again when the weather is better and I can spend more time on it.

Something else I want to do is check the FD. Need to read up on how it is calculated.

Sure have learned a lot putting up the BUD and it has been a lot of fun too.

Got to run, DC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts