Feeds cause receiver performance issues?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gillham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Morgan Hill, CA
This is on a Coolsat 7000, Fortec 90, Invacom Quad.

I won't mention the feeds of course, but a couple I've looked at today are doing something similar to some feeds last week. Basically the receiver becomes extremely slow responding to key presses or generating OSD messages.

I have 80-82% Q on both, though they are not the same transponder, and the video & audio seems perfect. The receiver just gets sluggish. I have 3 feeds I'm looking at and 2 are slow, one is fine. I'm recording a couple minutes of each to look at the data rates and other information on my computer, but last week I didn't really notice anything that stood out between the good / slow feeds.

I think it has to do with complexity or data rate, since it seems if there is not a lot of motion it is not as slow. I don't have any scientific evidence for this yet. :)

Has anyone else seen a receiver performance issue like this with certain feeds? It doesn't impact watching the feed at all, just controlling the receiver or even getting the Info display up.

Yep, this traxis 3500 I have will lock completely up on certain types of HD or 4.2.2 feeds, if it happens to blind-scan one in. Rebooting it (after moving off that satellite, or unplugging the sat cable) is the only way to make it work again. SOmetimes after about 1min or so, the box will start to respond to remote again, without rebooting it, but it won't display any video on any channel until it gets rebooted. Frustrating, as its the fastest scanner I have.

Thanks for the information. I will try to find a more permanent transponder that behaves similarly. I have never seen this before, except on some sports feed. Since they usually only last a few hours it will probably not be a good example to forward to Coolsat.

I'm setting up my Viewsat as a slave receiver and I'll test it as well next time I see this issue.

Hey, I have a SBS6 feed (or two) that is doing this right now, anyone around I can PM to see if you notice this as well? Again, I'm on a Coolsat 7000.

This sort of behavior reminds me of the early days with the Visionsat iv200. It used to lock up on SOME 4:2:2 feeds . Eventually, with the help of Brian at SatelliteAV those bugs got worked out. It's definitely helpful to use another receiver to troubleshoot. In my case I used the Mercury II and skywalker-1 on the problem feeds.
:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)