Fees for disconnect, equipment....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Stu-Pidaso

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Just installed services this July, yes I know JUST installed. I have started employment with a cable company (don't hit me) and will be getting services disconnected/free from them. Understandably I do not need to be paying for services from D*. What if any charges will I be looking at to disconnect and what would be the best path to follow?

Just installed services this July, yes I know JUST installed. I have started employment with a cable company (don't hit me) and will be getting services disconnected/free from them. Understandably I do not need to be paying for services from D*. What if any charges will I be looking at to disconnect and what would be the best path to follow?

Ouch ....

IIRC, it's about $ 20 per month for 24 months.

You might want to talk with D* and see if they are willing to work with you over this, seeing you've only been with them for under a month, call them soon.

And what about the equipment? I assume with what I paid for it it's mine?

Chances you paid an upfront lease fee and not full retail value so you will need to return the receivers to Direct TV in boxes they will send to you.

$199 upfront lease fee for a HD DVR compared to ~$500 retail value.

I should add, if the boxes are leased and you do not return them the $80 early termination fee you will need to pay will be a drop in the bucket for non-returned receivers, depending on how many you have on your account and if you don't pay their early termination fee they will take it right from your credit card.

See if the cable company will rebate your disconnect fee? They do it for new customers switching from satelite to cable. Why can an employee not be eligible?

I think the DVR was free but paid like 99 for second DVR and 99 for 4 more boxes if I remember right. Putting the cable company aside I would be out 500 bucks or does D* reimburse?
You're out $500

I think the DVR was free but paid like 99 for second DVR and 99 for 4 more boxes if I remember right. Putting the cable company aside I would be out 500 bucks or does D* reimburse?

More than likely you will be out $500 for the upfront lease fees plus $480 or $460 for your programming early termination fee. If you want out, I'd be calling Direct TV real quick to see what they say.

Yep, screwed. My fault. Next step to see if cable company will cover etf.

Best of luck to you. That sucks you have to pay that much but that's their system when you cancel early, especially that early into your contract. I guess the bright side is you have a job though!

Hope everything works out as well as it can!

Yep, screwed. My fault. Next step to see if cable company will cover etf.
When I canceled my cable account with Insight in April, 2010, they told me anytime I wanted to come back they would pay the ETF no matter how many months were left. Worth asking, they can only say no.

Non return fees are per box not returned so 2 HDDVRs would be about $1000 and 4 STD receivers would be about $800 plus the Early Termination Fee.

Non return fees are per box not returned so 2 HDDVRs would be about $1000 and 4 STD receivers would be about $800 plus the Early Termination Fee.

There is no fee for the returned recvrs he's sending back, as long as he's letting them know that he's wanting to cancel service , they will put it in the computer and send out return boxes for him.

If he just decided to KEEP the recvrs, then yes, over time they would bill you for them, but if they KNOW he's canceling ...

Instead of starting a new post I thought I would use this one since is dealing with disconnecting. I read that Directv removed G4TV and was wonder since they had done that would this open a loophole to get out paying ETFs?(because directv had this channel is one of the reasons I decided to go with them:rolleyes:) I know with cell phone carriers when they make certain changes it allows people to get out of contracts and was wondering if this would be similar.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts