Fees increasing?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You get it in a prepaid Visa card and it does not add to your account. It is just another perk for the switch.

Cable companies do it off and on too.

Now to the question about ETF for HD Free, where are you gettng information that indicates there is an ETF for that? Last time I switched I had a little time left in the 2 year contract, had HD Free for Life and no ETF for that was charged.

Have you checked with DTV to see if they are still offering a $200 Visa card? It's different from when they were offering $200 off ETF.

From the 2 emails and snail mail I got yesterday, D* is offering 'up to' a $200 prepaid Visa card to help with ETF. Of course you have to submit the bill for the ETF before they do that.

The Whole Home Fee is not for the Hopper itself, it is for the ability that the Hopper has to act as a server for up to 4 Joeys (I believe it is 4, maybe 3).

Think of it as a fee for having the node, not the hopper :D.

Why do they charge this "whole home" fee for one Hopper? My grandfather wanted to go with Dish and one Hopper. I told him to hold off. $14 for one receiver is crazy! He wanted the Hopper because of PTAT! By the way I knew exactly what you ment.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2

The Whole Home Fee is not for the Hopper itself, it is for the ability that the Hopper has to act as a server for up to 4 Joeys (I believe it is 4, maybe 3).

Doesn't make it any better Imo.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If that were the case, then why am I not receiving an extra $14 fee for my second Duo Node? Not that I want to give Dish any ideas... Dish already gets lease fees from each Joey, so you're saying we're paying double for Joeys and we are paying for Joeys even if we don't have any? How is that not more complicated than simply saying $14 per Hopper and $7 per Joey?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

A charge for the ""ability"" yet it's not doing it unless it has a Joey attached. That's why the first Joey needs to be included if they are going to charge a fee like that on the first Hopper on the account. They do that on the 222/522/625/722 you have that second tv output included although its not in HD and does not have that third tuner.

I don't see how Dish is going to even sell customers on the idea of paying $14 per month for just DVR service. That sounds ridiculous.

They should at least call it what it is... a 1st Hopper fee

I don't see how Dish is going to even sell customers on the idea of paying $14 per month for just DVR service. That sounds ridiculous.

They should at least call it what it is... a 1st Hopper fee
While I think this price increase sucks, it's still a lot less than most. DirecTV DVR service is now $25, and so is my local cable company.

The problem with calling the DVR and WH fee and first Hopper fee is that once they do that someone at Dish will get the bright idea that they should charge a new DVR fee since they're "no longer" charging customers such a fee.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

So (bending to popular opinion), if the first Hopper is 14.00, then those with just one VIP
DVR are paying $7.00. So, VIPs out there, keep that in mind if and when you start dissecting equipment costs.

Last edited:
So (bending to popular opinion), if the first Joey is 14.00, then those with just one VIP
DVR are paying $7.00. So, VIPs out there, keep that in mind if and when you start dissecting equipment costs.

Yup. I'm guessing you meant first Hopper, though.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

I did have free HD for life, it was not an issue. Three different reps over checking the past few days quoted me the same ETF of $227.50 for the remaining portion of my contract.

I will say that the one thing that irks me about the deal is you have to pay to return the leased equipment back. Yes, I knew this up front, and yes, I am ending the contract early, but little fees like that leave a bad taste in my mouth after an otherwise pleasant experience with Dish.

Please let me know if anything comes up with that. Technically, I guess they could say it is not an ETF, still charge you, and still have told you the truth. Dish website says: ". If qualifying service is terminated prior to end of agreement period, a cancellation fee of $10.00 per cancelled month of service will apply." Good luck. I'm going to wait a few weeks to see what happens with the fees...keep us informed.

You get it in a prepaid Visa card and it does not add to your account. It is just another perk for the switch.

Cable companies do it off and on too.

Now to the question about ETF for HD Free, where are you gettng information that indicates there is an ETF for that? Last time I switched I had a little time left in the 2 year contract, had HD Free for Life and no ETF for that was charged.

http://www.dish.com/legal/offers/default.aspx?WT.svl=gsearch_results

"HD FREE for Life® offer: $10/mo HD fee waived for life of current account. Requires continuous enrollment in AutoPay with Paperless Billing. Must maintain minimum qualifying monthly programming, including America's Top 120 or DishLATINO Plus. If qualifying service is terminated prior to end of agreement period, a cancellation fee of $10.00 per cancelled month of service will apply."

So (bending to popular opinion), if the first Hopper is 14.00, then those with just one VIP
Way ahead of you on that one. That's why I didn't switch to H/J last year and I now have a Tivo Premiere as a ota dvr, but can easily work with a cabelco if Dish gets too stupid.

http://www.dish.com/legal/offers/default.aspx?WT.svl=gsearch_results

"HD FREE for Life® offer: $10/mo HD fee waived for life of current account. Requires continuous enrollment in AutoPay with Paperless Billing. Must maintain minimum qualifying monthly programming, including America's Top 120 or DishLATINO Plus. If qualifying service is terminated prior to end of agreement period, a cancellation fee of $10.00 per cancelled month of service will apply."

With that wording, there is plenty of room for a lawyer to play lots of games with it.

But for all of that, I've yet to see even one person say they've been charged an ETF on HD Free for Life.

It sounds to me that it is saying if you fail to keep the requirements for the hd for life promo that you will simply have to pay the hd fee as long as you have service.

I just looked at Service Electric, my cableco, packages. To get a package of channels about equivalent to the AT200, 2 HDDVRs w/500G drives, and HBO/SHO/TMC would cost me $140 a month + taxes. However only the main HBO/SHO channel is HD, the others are in the package but are SD. In addition they are still MPEG2 so the 500G HD space is not really that big. When I was with them a few years ago 3 full recordings of NFL games in HD would almost fill the 120G drives they had.

I spoke with a rep this morning who seemed pretty knowledgeable in regards to this increase and was was really clear about existing customers not being affected by this increase. I hope this is the case as I am planning on adding a hws and will br sure to do so before the increase date.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts