Few questions about the HR20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

satsol67

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Ok this is the deal. I noticed the other day that one of my turners stopped working so I called to get a replacement. The replacement came today and I noticed that I was sent out a referb hr20-700CE. The one that went out is a 700-S.

Whats the difference in the 2 if any?

I would really like to save my recordings. The last time I checked the hard drives are not inter changeable.

Is that still true?

Is it possible to put the drive from my old one into the replacement one I just received?

If not, Can a slave drive be added?

I'm sure I am not going to like the answer but give it to me anyways.

Thanks,

Ron

Whats the difference in the 2 if any?
The "new" unit is probably older. Other than that, there shouldn't be much difference.
I would really like to save my recordings. The last time I checked the hard drives are not inter changeable.
And they probably never will be.
If not, Can a slave drive be added?
There is no such beastie as a "slave" in a SATA system. Note that even if it did have a second SATA port, programming recorded on one receiver would not be usable on a different receiver.

I dont think you can swap hard drives. They just like recordings on a Windows Media Center are tied to the CPU or device. The OS is on a chip on the machine but recordings are on the hard drive.

So you may have to operate with 2 until you drain the old unit. As for CE versus S, dont know. I know 100 is a different unit and manufacturer. The CE versus S might just be from a different plant.

Oh I forgot, you can external Serial ATA the drive. Meaning, you can get an eSata enclosure and use the old drive in the new unit. It however, will disable the current drive. It does not add on to it. So as long as you are not adding new recordings, you can use the old drive, drain it, and then shut off, unplug the drive, and have it boot to the one in the unit. Of course, that is if you are allowed to view recordings done on another unit. That of course will reset all your preferences like Season Passes. Also, what are you supposed to do with existing receiver? If you have to send it back, opening the case violates the warranty.

Bottom line now that I think more about it, keep both units going for now and drain the old drive.

yah, thats what I was affraid of. I really wish DirecTV would do something about this. You spend all that time getting the shows recorded and if the unit goes out you just waisted all that time not to mention favorites and season passes. Being that we cant backup our units they should be more reliable. This one is just a few months old. The unit was build in 03/04/07 so its only 3 months old. The referb one was made 10/07/06.

As for holding onto both I cant do that because their return policy says the old one has to be sent back within 7 days or I will be billed 470 bucks.

I believe the "S" you refered to, is fairly new and it refers to the unit being Silver, vs the newer "B" for Black.
Just the color change on the unit itself.
It's somewhat hard to find the new Black, but I am looking, right now it looks hard enough just to find one in stock at any of the local stores.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts