Few questions before ordering.

timmmy

Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
I want to order a 922 and hd receiver for my home. I am in western NY, 14141 zip and I'm assuming i will be getting an eastern arc dish? This would mean according to the dish pointer app on my phone that i could mount the dish on the side of my house. I have an all brick ranch and I'm wondering if the installer is allowed to mount to that, or even if he would let me mount it and just point it? I would get a pressure treated 2x12 and mount that first if easier. Another question is, would it be possible to reuse the rg6 cable that was installed in my house 6 months ago by Time Warner? This would require using 2 f connectors, not sure it that's alright or if I would be better off with a new cable going to that TV, and would the installer provide them or should I get them myself and not have to worry about that. Any help appreciated.

timmmy said:
I want to order a 922 and hd receiver for my home. I am in western NY, 14141 zip and I'm assuming i will be getting an eastern arc dish? This would mean according to the dish pointer app on my phone that i could mount the dish on the side of my house. I have an all brick ranch and I'm wondering if the installer is allowed to mount to that, or even if he would let me mount it and just point it? I would get a pressure treated 2x12 and mount that first if easier. Another question is, would it be possible to reuse the rg6 cable that was installed in my house 6 months ago by Time Warner? This would require using 2 f connectors, not sure it that's alright or if I would be better off with a new cable going to that TV, and would the installer provide them or should I get them myself and not have to worry about that. Any help appreciated.

You could always have a pole mount. That way you wouldn't have to worry about holes in the side of your house or on your roof. If you can get a LOS ( line of sight) with the pole mount, that is. I would expect that most if not all of the cable could be reused. I know that when I went with Dish I had the installer to reuse solid copper RG6 that DirecTv had put in about 18 months earlier.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will just order and see what the installer recommends.

The installer can provide any cable and connectors needed or reuse existing cable if you are not using it for a cable modem.

If you are absolutely sure you have a clear line of sight, you can put in your own pole beforehand. It will save alot of time especially if the ground is frozen.

A 2x12 is not sturdy enough to support an eastern arc dish. A 4x6 would be better, at least 2 ft in the ground. Normally installers use a 1 7/8" galvanized chain link fence post.

Brick wall mounts are among the strongest mounts possible if the the brick is in good shape and it is not mounted to just the mortar.

I recommended a pole mount, since I personally do not want any holes in my brick or in my roof. That is a personal preference however. Like you say, if he wants the brick wall mount the installer should do it as part of the regular install.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts