Few questions while making up my mind :)

Compulov

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
So I've been hemming and hawing and now that my 'please stay with us' discount with Comcast is finally ending I'm once again looking at Dish Network.
I live on the border of Mercer and Middlesex counties in NJ (*in* Mercer, but I can literally throw a rock into Middlesex). Mercer is considered the Philly market while Middlesex is NYC. I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but is there any way I can get the NYC locals instead of Philly? It's not a deal breaker, but it'd be nice to have CW11 (in HD would be better) for the couple of Mets games they air. Another option.. dish used to have something called the 'superstations' package which included 11, as well as several other stations. Is this package still available, or are any of these stations available a la carte?

Prepare for a ramble, I just want to make sure I've got things straight in my head (and figured I'd ask for advice in case anything looks askew to you). This will be installed, but I want to have an idea what's going on so I'll know if the installer is being on the level. Plus I'm a geek and this just more technology to learn :)

I've looked through the latest hardware and I've decided to go with the 622. I have two tvs, one HD and one smaller one in the bedroom and this looks to be ideal. From the looks of things, I'd need two dishes to get everything I want (including HD locals), one dish 500 for 110 and 119 and one 300 or 500 for 61.5 and I'm ok with that. Given I will most likely never have more than one (or, for some odd reason, two) receivers in my apartment, my best bet would be the DPP Twin LNB... the second dish would get connected to that and then I'd have a single line into the apartment with a DPP Separator to feed the dual tuners of the 622. I'd hook the main tv up however worked best for me (probably component + optical into my HT receiver) and I can use the RF output to the tv in the bedroom.
If I recall correctly, I can set the 622 into a mode whereby the main and secondary tvs show the same output (single mode or whatever it's called)... can I control the 622 with *both* remotes if it's in that mode?

As far as plans... I haven't quite decided which base package I'll go with, but the DVR advantage looks like my top pick, so chances are it'd be at least AT200. Am I correct that the 49.99 (or 59.99 pricing for AT250 + advantage) includes locals? Or is that another $5? I read that there's a discounted rate for the DVR free with this package (3.98?) is this correct? I'll be adding on HD ($20) and HBO ($10?).

Oh, one more thing I almost forgot. I don't have a land line. I do, however, have a Sipura SPA-2000 setup to work with Free World Dialup. I've seen a few posts telling folks they can use that. Can anyone confirm the 622 does indeed dial out OK via FWD? I'd like to avoid the extra receiver charge if at all possible.

So tell me, fellow Satelliteguys readers, am I on base with everything, or totally off into left field? :)

Thanks a bunch!

Oh, and by the way, happy b-day Scott!

Last edited:
can I control the 622 with *both* remotes if it's in that mode?

Yes.

As far as plans... I haven't quite decided which base package I'll go with, but the DVR advantage looks like my top pick, so chances are it'd be at least AT200. Am I correct that the 49.99 (or 59.99 pricing for AT250 + advantage) includes locals?

Yes
I read that there's a discounted rate for the DVR free with this package (3.98?) is this correct? I'll be adding on HD ($20) and HBO ($10?).
The DVR fee is included in DVR Advantage. 3.98 is the savings over not getting DVD Advantage.
If you wait for June 1 (Friday), the DVR Advantage is getting slightly better, and it is rumored that HBO would only be $10 (currently $12).

I don't know about FWD or specific New Jersey channels, so I'll let others answer those.

It sounds like you are pretty clear on the equipment and packages, your setup is probably about right for you.

PS No CW in HD at the moment. I think it is highly likely that some local CW is included with NJ locals, but any area that does not have a CW local gets a superstation CW included for free. You can subscribe to individual superstations for $1.50 per month each, and there is a package of all of them.

I signed up last month (came from Comcast and D*). I am very happy with the DVR Adv 250. The HD channels are great and so is the 622, especially of you have OTA channels which allows you to record 3 things at once.

I have not really noticed any HD PQ differences, but SD looks better on Dish than Comcast. Comcast was very good in my area, the price and the dvr just sucked.

The NYC dma will give you WPIX and WWOR as part of their local package (neither in HD yet). The balance of the Superstations should be able to be purchased al a cart. The Mets on WPIX will probably not blacked out if you choose Phily, but if you take the NY market you will get SNY as a region sports net and have plenty of Mets games on this channel, the Phily dma does not have any RSN's. Your dish setup would be the same with a Dish 500 and seperate dish at 61.5.

The NYC dma will give you WPIX and WWOR as part of their local package (neither in HD yet). The balance of the Superstations should be able to be purchased al a cart. The Mets on WPIX will probably not blacked out if you choose Phily, but if you take the NY market you will get SNY as a region sports net and have plenty of Mets games on this channel, the Phily dma does not have any RSN's. Your dish setup would be the same with a Dish 500 and seperate dish at 61.5.

That brings up an interesting question... is SNY considered a 'regional sports network' and would I lose that being in the Philly market in favor of another channel? I'd be majorly pissed if I didn't at least have that since they carry a good chunk of the Mets games. Is there a page somewhere pointing out what RSN(s) you get with what market you're in? I'm in the Comcast 'Philly' market (though I also have several NY stations), and I do get SNY.
WPIX I can take or leave, though if I can get it a la carte as kstuart pointed out that's something I'd go for.

Edit: Blah, never mind, didn't notice the locals finder also tells you what RSN you get. I did notice it shows MSG and Fox Sports NY as the RSN for both Philly and NYC. So I'm wondering if that means SNY is national (or if it just means I get the NYC RSNs and it'd be included anyway).

Last edited:
Hate to dig up an old thread, but I might as give an update. Finally got Dish installed today. Things are working beautifully. One problem, however. I discovered that apparently SNY *is* an RSN, and not included in my area. No problem, I can just sign up for the sports pack and get it. Oh wait, no... I can't. Apparently most (all?) of the Mets games on SNY are blacked out in my area (according to Dish tech support anyway). Is there anyone else in the Mercer county, NJ area who has SNY and can confirm that Mets games are indeed blacked out? If so, do I have any options? I see Dish doesn't have Extra Innings (and to be honest, I'm not sure if I want to pay for that anyway). It's a damn shame, since Comcast in my area *does* carry SNY and doesn't have blacked out games.
Thanks!

You should do a search on the board here for information on "moving"...it works wonders in solving these issues! ;) :up
If I move, it's going to be across the country, so it won't help my situation any. :D
Guess I can deal with whatever comes up on Fox, WPIX, ESPN, and perhaps listen on XM Radio. Still very happy with the service otherwise... thinking about writing up some impressions from a Comcast convert. :)

If I move, it's going to be across the country, so it won't help my situation any. :D
Guess I can deal with whatever comes up on Fox, WPIX, ESPN, and perhaps listen on XM Radio. Still very happy with the service otherwise... thinking about writing up some impressions from a Comcast convert. :)

Just to clarify, my post wasn't about physically moving someplace else. I was referring to changing your Dish Network service address to an address within the area that carries the RSN you want to receive...something generally referred to as "moving". You keep the same billing address as where you actually live, but get programming based on the service address. I was suggesting you do a search because there have been LOTS of posts about this with more info if you'd like to try it. :up

Just to clarify, my post wasn't about physically moving someplace else. I was referring to changing your Dish Network service address to an address within the area that carries the RSN you want to receive...something generally referred to as "moving". You keep the same billing address as where you actually live, but get programming based on the service address. I was suggesting you do a search because there have been LOTS of posts about this with more info if you'd like to try it. :up
I got the gist of it when browsing around earlier. If I get upset enough about it I might give it a try (my parents conveniently live in the NYC DMA so it'd be easy).
Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts