Fiber

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Does anyone ever see satellite going away because of fiber optic? No fta in the future?
NHL, Ohio State, and Yankees all use fiber only.
There is not yet a more efficient way to feed a large, remote, and or mountainous land mass, than Satellite.
Though the Internet is trying.
Just my personal opinions. :)

I have concerns. I have a friend in the fiber optic business. He says "Nothing is cheaper than glass" - the "wire" used in fiber.

The economics of it are revealing. It takes millions to design, build, launch and maintain a satellite in a certain orbit. Then of course they have a lifespan and have to be replaced.To set up a satellite TV station takes a whole bunch of major money. To set up an internet tv station over fiber costs peanuts by comparison.

On the positive side, traditional radio, television is still here. Reasons are found to use old technologies. There does seem to be a national security reason to keep satellites flying. In times of national emergency it makes sense to have more than one way to communicate with a country. Putting all of those eggs in the fiber basket sounds like it could hurt national security.

If I had to project, though, it looks like a shrinking of satellite is likely. Football feeds are already going the fiber route, but let's hope there is life in it for awhile yet.

I think fiber will eventually kill FTA as we know it. The foreign stuff similar to what's on 97W maybe there for a long time. Fiber will take years to get to those foreign places. I saw someone else this morning noticed that APTN on 107w was gone, and I didn't see TCT on 97w last night. Recently we lost ONN and LCN as well. Still plenty to watch but we've lost a few this year. Satellites will be in the sky for other communications stuff for years, but not for what we know them for....just my thoughts..Blind

alot of the arenas/stadiums use fibre right now. So most of the NBA/NHL games are fibred. Some college hockey is too.

Here in Minnesota Target Center, Target Field, Xcel Energy Center and Mariucci Arena are all fibred so that takes out any game here in the cities in most cases.

I suppose for network affiliates that are mostly located in major cities, the availability for fiber distribution should be less of an issue and more cost effective and that's one side of it.

I see satellite remaining in use for quick on the spot, breaking news and temporary uplink truck needs on the network.

For the end user, as long as DTH services are profitable they will probably remain around on their own systems. In rural areas such as where I enjoy living, the cable and telco utilities aren't spending money locally to upgrade. With potential customers sometimes miles apart or on dead end roads, the numbers just don't add up. With the goal to reach us everywhere, there's nothing like satellite to achieve it.

I think fiber will eventually kill FTA as we know it. The foreign stuff similar to what's on 97W maybe there for a long time. Fiber will take years to get to those foreign places. I saw someone else this morning noticed that APTN on 107w was gone, and I didn't see TCT on 97w last night. Recently we lost ONN and LCN as well. Still plenty to watch but we've lost a few this year. Satellites will be in the sky for other communications stuff for years, but not for what we know them for....just my thoughts..Blind
APTN is still on 107w..rescan..they moved frequencies..TCT is now on SES-1..still C-Band..

As long as no one cuts the fiber all will be OK. We've had a few fiber cuts on the eastern part of the state that caused widespread outages for 2 thirds of the state that affected phones (including cell) and internet. Apparently, it's still costly to install fiber otherwise they'd put in alternate routes. I suppose the major sports outfits invest in backup/alternate-route systems. Why not? (Since people are willing to pay those ridiculus prices for sports programming).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)