fiberglass or mesh

Status
Please reply by conversation.

roadhog1616

Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
which one is the best antenna ? i can get either one but its antenna only no other equipment comes with it. so im haveing to get a piece at a time. hahahah i love this hobby

For me,Mesh was the better option because of the weight of the dish. I mounted mine
on a 9ft pole above ground. Are they both the same size,the bigger the dish the better
for c-band.If the fiberglass dish is one piece than you need to check to see if it's warped.

i got the mesh dish. 200 ft of 5 strand cable. and a drake receiver without the remote control. will i have to have a remote?

That Drake is most likely an analog receiver, there is not much to watch on analog anymore.

You can use it to move your dish (and to change polarity if you use a servo-style feedhorn), but you may be limited to using the pre-programmed positions if you don't have a remote.

Maybe, if you tell us what model of Drake you have someone with knowledge of that unit can help. You can also use a G-Box or V-Box positioner to move your dish.

You will want to get a DVB receiver to pick up digital signals, that's where the action is nowadays.

i was hoping that i could use my coolsat 500 for the receiver and the drake to turn the dish/ but i know i have a lot to learn. but i have read so much today that my head is spinning

no

First, you need to:
- give us specs of dish (brand, and size)
- show us pictures of the dish
- pictures of the motor 'n mount
- pictures of the feedhorn 'n scalar from various directions
- pictures and/or the fine print off your LNB(s)

thanks for replying anole. it will be next week before i can get it/ work coming up for next 6 days

Great. - :up
The guys here will be able to identify your hardware, and give you the best advice!
I wouldn't recommend any purchases 'till then. - ;)

I used the Drake receiver to set up my system. Once I got it up and going, I started converting over one component at the time. That way I could isolate any problems I had along the way. I put a tv under my dish and got the dish pointed. I buried the wire and put everything in the house. It seemed a lot easier getting everything going right under the dish.

Its a good way to get to know your system and equipment, too!

The old Drake and Chapparal are doorstops now.

The old Drake and Chapparal are doorstops now.

I wouldn't say that. I still see a lot of things showing up on analog. There is no receiver that gets everything, so you pretty much have to have different receivers to get different things. Even if there wasn't anything analog, those receivers can give you polarotor control for sats with abnormal polarity. Also, the unclamped video output gives you a good way to attach a SW receiver to allow you to determine the exact SR of signals you've found.
I wouldn't take my Drake or Monty out of service even if there weren't ANY analog signals left.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts