Filipino Mega Pack. What is the minimum dish requirement?

TwoPhases

Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Seattle
My grandparents were refused installation due to LOS issues. A local satellite contractor quoted them an arm & a leg for a custom install. Typical scheister trying to take advantage of the elderly. I want to do a self-install (knowledgeable with DirecTV parts but clueless with DishNetwork). What is the minimum dish requirement? Will the 500 dish (for the 110 & 119 birds) suffice? What about multi switches? Thanks for your help!

Filipino channels only come off sat 118.7, so you would need a 500+ (119/110/118.7) or 1000+ (119/110/129/118.7).

We have newer 500+ LNB's that don't require a switch (DPP), but any DP equipment will require a switch (DP34/DPP44/DPP33)

You probably need at least a dish 500+ since it's international programming. If you are indeed shooting for 118.7, make sure you set aside a good block of time for the install as it's not as quick and simple to align for as the other birds.

The official dish for Tagalog programming is the Dish 500+. It is set up to receive Ku from 110W and 119W as well as FSS from 118.75W.

If HD programming is also desired, there is a Dish 1000+ that adds Ku from 129W to the Dish 500+ dish.

If you are indeed shooting for 118.7, make sure you set aside a good block of time for the install as it's not as quick and simple to align for as the other birds.
Coming from the DIRECTV world, it is surely more frustrating to work with a dish that lacks vernier adjustment screws.

harshness said:
Coming from the DIRECTV world, it is surely more frustrating to work with a dish that lacks vernier adjustment screws.

The newer 500+ dishes now have the azimuth and elevation adjustments as the 1000.4. Makes it much easier to dial in a good signal.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Is it possible to just connect the receiver directly to the 118.7 lnb out? They just want to watch the Filipino channels 24/7. They have the minimum $10 base package with no locals. Thanks!

Is it possible to just connect the receiver directly to the 118.7 lnb out?
The 500+ delivers three satellite slots on a single cable with all modern DISH Network receivers. Understand that you pay by the package(s), not the number of satellite slots available.

I'm pretty sure the Filipino packages require a subscription to the International Basic core pack that includes a number of channels from 110W and 119W.

Unless it has changed, I didn't think 118.7 carried software updates or authorization hits. The newer 1 piece lnbs will pick up all 3 sats regardless.

What kind of custom install did they need? How bad is the LOS? 118.7 generally has lower signal strength than 119/110 to begin with

They do have a basic $10 core package but will only tune to 4 channels that's on 118.7 (tp's 1 & 20). Can anyone confirm whether the program guide & other upgrades are mirrored on the 118.7 sat? Both 110 & 119 have partial blockage but 118.7 is clear. Signals are 65 to 75%.

They do have a basic $10 core package but will only tune to 4 channels that's on 118.7 (tp's 1 & 20). Can anyone confirm whether the program guide & other upgrades are mirrored on the 118.7 sat? Both 110 & 119 have partial blockage but 118.7 is clear. Signals are 65 to 75%.

118.7 does carry the 2-day EPG info, however, 118.7 alone does NOT carry and software spools. You will need another sat installed to make sure you get the appropriate s/w updates (119 carries ALL software spools).

Thanks! I plan to eventually (when I can borrow a 20 ft ladder & have a full afternoon available) elevate their dish so LOS to 110, 119 & 118.7 is clear. For now a good signal on 118.7 will do as the software updates will still download from 119 even if the signal is marginal.

If you can see 118.7 then you can see 119...its basically the same slot

119 has the software upgrades on it
Thats why I'm so puzzled. 118.7 sigs are 65 to 75% but 119 sigs are around 30 to 38%. I've done fine skew adjustments as well. I guess I need to check the connectors next.

I had this up & running for my grand folks then their owned 301 receiver dies. I called customer service. They will send a replacement receiver (non-upgrade) along with a recovery kit for the dead one. I was assured this "swap" will not generate a commitment/contract. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true? What kind of replacement receiver can they expect? Will they now own the replacement? Thanks in advance for your response.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)