Film download prices 'to be determined by screen size'

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
The cost of watching a newly released film will depend upon the size of the screen on which it is viewed in future, the head of Dreamworks Animation says.
Those who watched on a "movie screen" would pay the most while those using smartphones would only pay a small fee, Jeffrey Katzenberg said.
This pricing model will be common in 10 years' time, he told a US conference.

bbc.com

Uh, how do they possibly tell whether I am watching on a 19" or 120" screen if it is fed into my home router. Especially if it is being fed through a TIVO/BluRay player or Roku?

I think it translates into cell or tablet viewing will be priced differently than normal home viewing.

This has been discussed by them before and can partly be implemented now. Watching a Roku - you could be charged for a TV screen cost - at this time not by size of screen.
Watching a tablet? It is possible right now to know that it is and not a smartphone at least with Android.

The proposal is a handshake between the TV and any streaming device, the handshake will give the model/screen size of the TV. Projectors would not be immune. At some point no handshake, no streaming just as it is now with HDCP.

I'm guessing it would be fairly easy to implement.Different size/formats would have different d/loads.You want the big one you pay more.You want the small version you pay less.Imagine d/loading the small format and trying to watch on a 72" screen.:eek:

I'm guessing it would be fairly easy to implement.Different size/formats would have different d/loads.You want the big one you pay more.You want the small version you pay less.Imagine d/loading the small format and trying to watch on a 72" screen.:eek:

Many tablets have higher resolution than a TV. I do not think that tablet users would be happy with blocky fuzzy pictures....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts