Please reply by conversation.

glover31

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 7, 2013
Friendship New York
Hello I'm back.

Been a long time.
I am finally building the HTPC STB for fta satellite. Its not so cheap to build in the long run, But now I am running into an issue. ........My new build consists of a new motherboard, 1T hard drive, used itx case, stb dvb card, wifi card, and of course a new power supply and heat sink fan combo. I installed libre-elect "kodi" formerly XBMC onto the hard drive.

The minor issues that I am having is that when trying to scan for channels, it finds 77 channels for galaxy 19. When I go to the tv menu only 55 are there. and then after changing channels a few times, all channels are the same channel. grrrr.

The major issue that i need help with is that in the diseqc settings 1.1 " what my switch is, it only lists 4 port or 16 port switch. Mine is an 8 port. I have done all that I can think of. Selected 4 port or 16 port. Set my ports to 1 and 2 and it only ever picks up on port 1. I cannot scan port 2. I physically went outside and up the ladder to move ports around with no change. NOTE on a normal STB the switch works fine. The add on I am using is called VDR. Only one I found so far that has a familiar menu to set up your "PHYSICAL" "free to air" dish. Or in my case two of them. Photo143.jpg Photo223.jpg Photo224.jpg Photo225.jpg Photo226.jpg Photo228.jpg Photo241.jpg Photo242.jpg Photo243.jpg Photo244.jpg Photo245.jpg Photo331.jpg Photo332.jpg Photo333.jpg Photo334.jpg Photo335.jpg Photo336.jpg Photo337.jpg Photo338.jpg Photo339.jpg

Reactions: iBoston
Looking at the pictures, it appears your LO (LNB TYPE) is incorrect. Should be 10750 not 11250 maybe .

... what my switch is, it only lists 4 port or 16 port switch. Mine is an 8 port.
NOTE on a normal STB the switch works fine.

8/1 diseqc switches come in flavours: pure diseqc 1.1; mixed diseqc 1.1/1.0; and even diseqc 1.2.
So what settings are set in your normal STB for this switch?
(1.0 = maximum 4 ports, 1.1 = max 16 ports; 1.0+1.1 combines the two, max 64 ports)

I've got a Axing/HAMA 8/1 switch that switches on diseqc 1.1/1.0/1.2.
As soon as a diseqc 1.2 command is given (I had once forgotten to delete that command in the menu for a certain satellite), the switch doesn't react normally to a diseqc 1.1/1.0 command, alas. The switch has to be reset, to react normally to 1.1/1.0 again.

So it might be important to check the specs of your switch, when you have problems setting it up correctly.

To check if a diseqc signal reaches the switch, try if setting to 'input 16' gives signal from port 8, or from port 5. (That also gives an indication as to which type of switch it is. :) )

greetz,
A33

Reactions: beavs2112
8/1 diseqc switches come in flavours: pure diseqc 1.1; mixed diseqc 1.1/1.0; and even diseqc 1.2.
So what settings are set in your normal STB for this switch?
(1.0 = maximum 4 ports, 1.1 = max 16 ports; 1.0+1.1 combines the two, max 64 ports)

I've got a Axing/HAMA 8/1 switch that switches on diseqc 1.1/1.0/1.2.
As soon as a diseqc 1.2 command is given (I had once forgotten to delete that command in the menu for a certain satellite), the switch doesn't react normally to a diseqc 1.1/1.0 command, alas. The switch has to be reset, to react normally to 1.1/1.0 again.

So it might be important to check the specs of your switch, when you have problems setting it up correctly.

To check if a diseqc signal reaches the switch, try if setting to 'input 16' gives signal from port 8, or from port 5. (That also gives an indication as to which type of switch it is. :) )

greetz,
A33
OK. so here is a picture of the switch. And like I said before the other stb "geosatpro 3500hd uses this fine. I use two dishes set up with 1.1. One dish on 1.1 on port1 and the other 1.1 port2
Photo343.jpg

That would be a pure 1.1 switch, I find on the internet.
Try input 16 (Edit: try input 2, 4, 8 and 16); does that help?
Otherwise: how much current can your custom STB supply to your switch and LNB?

Do I understand right that you have just two LNBs connected to your switch?

greetz,
A33

Last edited:
That would be a pure 1.1 switch, I find on the internet.
Try input 16 (Edit: try input 2, 4, 8 and 16); does that help?
Otherwise: how much current can your custom STB supply to your switch and LNB?

Do I understand right that you have just two LNBs connected to your switch?

greetz,
A33
the stb dvb card has two outputs. This is so if I ran two wires I could watch a show and record another channel at the same time. No interest in running a second wire. I set every input 1-16 to the other satellite. It does not work. And when I set it to scan galaxy 19 it just will not pick up all the channels.

the stb dvb card has two outputs. This is so if I ran two wires I could watch a show and record another channel at the same time. No interest in running a second wire. I set every input 1-16 to the other satellite. It does not work. And when I set it to scan galaxy 19 it just will not pick up all the channels.
can you list what transponders you are able to get on 97W? That might give a hint as to what's going on...

can you list what transponders you are able to get on 97W? That might give a hint as to what's going on...
during scanning the tuner comes up as a Tmax TAS2101. But that is interesting. Without sitting and watching carefully there is no way to see the transponders. Re scanning I watched closely. These numbers correspond to when more channels appeared. ::: 11898, 11936, 11966,12146,12028. I just looked these up online. I am missing quite a few transponders.

during scanning the tuner comes up as a Tmax TAS2101. But that is interesting. Without sitting and watching carefully there is no way to see the transponders. Re scanning I watched closely. These numbers correspond to when more channels appeared. ::: 11898, 11936, 11966,12146,12028. I just looked these up online. I am missing quite a few transponders.
yeah that's strange. I was hoping to see some pattern (for example that you were getting only one polarity, or weird frequencies) but i agree that it seems like you are just getting some transponders and not others for no obvious reason. Could it be that the dish is a bit off? I checked the spectrum of 95W and 99W against 97W, for interference, but again i'm not seeing any obvious problem

yeah that's strange. I was hoping to see some pattern (for example that you were getting only one polarity, or weird frequencies) but i agree that it seems like you are just getting some transponders and not others for no obvious reason. Could it be that the dish is a bit off? I checked the spectrum of 95W and 99W against 97W, for interference, but again i'm not seeing any obvious problem
It was my first thought. Problem is everything works on my main stb. geosat 3500hd. Have a hard time believing the dish is out of wack if it comes in on the other box.

Has anyone ever used dvb cards? And has there ever been issues switching a diseqc switch with them. Or maybe one stb receiver can and another not? I am not getting anywhere.

I use DVB cards. And I wish my favorite software supported DiSEqC for all my tuners but doesn't. When setting up you have to match the software and hardware. I'm not using the combination you are so can't really offer any specifics. Another thing I have found is poor quality DiSEqC signal from some DVB cards. Also interference from tone switches that seem to be totally unrelated to the issue.

I am using a PCI card and a USB receiver, non really have issues with diseqc1, 1.1, or 1.2 or 22KHz signals, including USALS. Using various softwares including SmartDVB, DVBDream, EBSPro, and CrazyScan. Receivers are TBS 6903 and 5980. The 5980 required some mods to actually function including heatsinks and a fan. After the mods it has become fairly reliable.

I tried to use kodi for satellite and could not get it to work like I would like it to, some of the issues were diseqc switching etc. Also the scan would not work properly and would not switch satellites; either with a motor or using diseqc/USALS commands. Kodi works ok for OTA with a PCI or USB receiver and works wioth HD HomeRuns as well, but some issues with the latter. Certainly could be operator/configuration errors, so many options, but I just could not get it to really work with satellite.

I am using a PCI card and a USB receiver, non really have issues with diseqc1, 1.1, or 1.2 or 22KHz signals, including USALS. Using various softwares including SmartDVB, DVBDream, EBSPro, and CrazyScan. Receivers are TBS 6903 and 5980. The 5980 required some mods to actually function including heatsinks and a fan. After the mods it has become fairly reliable.

I tried to use kodi for satellite and could not get it to work like I would like it to, some of the issues were diseqc switching etc. Also the scan would not work properly and would not switch satellites; either with a motor or using diseqc/USALS commands. Kodi works ok for OTA with a PCI or USB receiver and works wioth HD HomeRuns as well, but some issues with the latter. Certainly could be operator/configuration errors, so many options, but I just could not get it to really work with satellite.

Well that is certainly interesting. So I am not alone then. You tried kodi for satellite as well then and had the same problem. May I ask what add on were you using to scan for satellites using kodi?

I tried a few of the add-ons I found and just gave up on it. Can't remember the names of all the add-ons, think I tried three, DvbViewer was workable but not that functional. I came to the conclusion that the add-ons were made for those wishing to receive one satellite only, and one of them only allowed one transponder. Maybe someone is developing something better but I haven't checked lately.

what add on

The only PC software that I found to provide reliable 22K/DiSEqC switching and motor control is EBSpro (now free). Reliable DVR function and great for analyzing the signals.
Was wondering if I would here from you. I will have to see if I can play with that. But looking at it on youtube, it totally deviates away from the point of this build. I used libre elec for its ability to boot fast. Be my dvd player, iptv streamer, at some point ota once I buy a card, and most important satellite capable. only I did not imagine the problems I am having. I certailnly would use something other that libre elect that would do all that from my couch.

You're discovering why I eventually abandoned my quest for a HTCP DVB receiver. The PC hardware allows you to decode almost any signal (FTA) you can receive, however its difficult to get away from needing a mouse and keyboard. I still prefer using a PC for feed hunting but for STB like software, Kodi might be as good as its going to get. It is too bad OpenPCTV (Enigma2 on PC) never became popular but the number of people building PCs and interested in DVBS2 are just too small.

If you skip the motor, you can have pretty good results with SichboPVR. Custom LO settings, switch support, manual TP scans, and supports both DVB-S2 and ATSC tuners (and probably others).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)