Finally Cancelled

That's so cool!

Message to Voom: You've really got to to suck to drive guys to cable. Cut-the- new-satellite-guy-some-slack-timer countdown sequence initiated. 10, 9, 8, ...

MagicConch said:
Here cable offers ABC,CBS,NBC,PBS. If it weren't for the cable modem, I would have switched long ago.
Yes, for years I had Time Warner for cable tv and for Roadrunner which is the internet service they offer. They charge 44 bucks a mth for RR if you have cable tv service with it. If you dont have cable service they rasie the price to 60 bucks a mth!!!! I was so fed up with TWC's lack of HD offering I cancelled and went to VOOm anyway. I paid the 60 bucks a mth for 2 mths until my buddy told me about earthlink cable internet service. It turns out they use TWC's lines and they charge 42 bucks a mth even if you dont have cable tv service. And ...as a new customer I received earthlink for 29.99 per mth for 6 mths. Same service ...without TWC's name ...extra cash in my pocket. Check with your cable provider to see if another cable internet service is available in your area. That way you wont get charged the extra cash for cancelling the cable tv service if you hate it....like I did.

Sorry to see you go, but please check back with us in one year when your "gotcha sucker" price is gone and let us know how much you're paying.

vinnyv07 said:
Yes, for years I had Time Warner for cable tv and for Roadrunner which is the internet service they offer. They charge 44 bucks a mth for RR if you have cable tv service with it. If you dont have cable service they rasie the price to 60 bucks a mth!!!!

Comcast charges you $15 more for broadband internet (BI) if you are not a cable television subscriber. My father-in-law made the switch to Comcast BI but was happy with E* and didn't want to subscribe to Comcast cable television. He actually found a loophole. The price for Comcast's most basic television package is $6. If you subscribe at the $6 level, the $15 fee is still waived. When I switched to V*, I did the same thing. I use the basic cable upstairs since I only watch the news before bed. Just one more thing for people to do if they can.

Comcast's minimum is only $6/month. ARGH! Minimum with Cox is $15/month here! It's all so ridiculous :river

Here, Comcast charges $65/mo for the cheapest package that includes ESPN-HD. Discovery HD isn't even included, although it's now announced for August. Tack on an extra $5/mo for HDTV STB for $70/mo. They do offer a HDTV DVR for ~$10/mo, but it only has a single tuner and 7-9 hours of HD storage.

I was paying close to $120/mo with all the premiums, taxes, and franchise fees on Comcast. That doesn't include cable modem service. With VaVaVoom, I get that for $92/mo with STB rental and taxes, plus many more HD channels. That said, Comcast does have InHD, InHD2, and CSN-HD, which I hope VOOM adds after they move to the new satellite slot.

Ken F said:
Here, Comcast charges $65/mo for the cheapest package that includes ESPN-HD. Discovery HD isn't even included, although it's announced for August. Tack on an extra $5/mo for HDTV STB. They do offer a HDTV DVR for ~$10/mo, but it only has a single tuner and 7-9 hours of HD capacity.
That's one more tuner and 7-9 HD hours more than most everybody else has. For $10/month?

I think HD may end up like electricity. We'll end up having Congress enact the Rural HDification Act of 2034. Until then . . .

I just had cable installed today and I'm going to give that a try. $44.95 w/HD DVR, DiscoveryHD, TNTHD, InHD1, InHD2, HDNet, HDNet movies, HBOHD, SHOHD, local HD for FOX, ABC, CBS, Sunshine HD, PBS HD.
If I could get all that on cable for $45/mo, I would not hesitate to sign up.

Looks similar to the TWC line-up here - only we also have NBC-HD. Conspicously missing is ESPN-HD.

Let me clue you in - "in negotiations" = not going to carry any time soon. TWC/Brighthouse has been "in negotiations" with ESPN-HD for almost two years. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. It's why I left TWC.

And, clearly, the $44.95 is a promotional price.

When it expires, I expect it will go up to $50 for HD locals, TNT-HD, and DiscHD. Add $6.95 for INHD, INHD2, HDNet, HDNet Movies. Add $10 for HBO-Hd. Add $10 for ShowHD. Add $6.95 for the DVR service.

whopping $84

We had the same promo here for people who are switching from satellite.

occammd said:
Thanks so much for your info on this site. It really helped me get up and running to evaluate VOOM. It's not for me though.

I just had cable installed today and I'm going to give that a try. $44.95 w/HD DVR, DiscoveryHD, TNTHD, InHD1, InHD2, HDNet, HDNet movies, HBOHD, SHOHD, local HD for FOX, ABC, CBS, Sunshine HD, PBS HD.

I can finally drop my land line and go to cable modem as well.

Had no trouble getting through to cancel, only took a few minutes.

Sorry to hear you left Voom for that lessor HD service (only 8 HD channels, excluding OTA for $84 after promotion? Wow! Expensive!). I have HDNet and HDNet movies on Dish...good but not great. On Voom, I don't get InHd1, InHd2, or Sunshine (??). And like you, I do receive, Fox (but not in HD because they're not in HD yet), NBC HD, CBS HD, PBS1 HD, PBS2 HD, ABC HD, and WB. I also receive on Voom, like you: DiscoveryHD and TNTHD. But where is your BravoHD for the live Olympics coverage? So, in addition to your line-up I also receive on Voom: BravoHD, East and West HBOHD, East and West CinmaxHD, East and West StarZ, East and West ShowtimeHD, The Movie Channel HD, Playboy-HD, Encore-HD, ESPN-HD, plus the 21 exclusive HD channels. The PVR for Voom should be out by the end of Summer (who watches TV in the Summer anyway). And no over compressed picture quality like cable. Move to Tampa...no way! I don't like humidity or bugs. :D

Well, the mosquito magnet takes care of the bugs and the pool takes care of the humidity. I can drop the boat in the lake and ski on a whim as long as I slalom AROUND the alligators and not into them.

I picked up this package 'cause it works for me, but I'm just trying it out. I may eventually end up with one of the Dishes. I never ordered premium channels so when that special runs out I won't re-up it. I do like the eye candy on InHD, etc... and without a doubt DiscoveryHD looks better than on VOOM. The OTA are a punt on anybody's box as long as they don't screw up the levels. However, getting DVI to actually put out saturated colors on either VOOM or cable is a mystery to me. I have SMARTIII for my set, but I'm waiting for the Bravo D3 to do the cal, then maybe my levels will work out. I'm using component now.

As a family we don't watch much TV. I'm not a TV or sports nut (although I may watch 1 NFL game per week, or NHL now -- Go Bolts) and the divine thing cemented my leaving (don't need to rehash it). So I decided on cable so I could give their broadband service a try over my DSL. I run my business out of the home and I had to reboot the DSL router a couple times a day for the past few years.

After this 12 month trial period maybe VOOM will have re-thought having divine payed out of the basic subscription, the HD DVR will be here w/out the need for a land line, WM9 will be running so a few more stations and overall better pic quality, and the larger dish will be standard for rain fade. Also verizon will offer DSL w/out land line by then.

It's a lot to ask, but certainly feasible in a year. So I'll revisit it then. Again, thanks for the help.

Take Care

keno said:
Sorry to hear you left Voom for that lessor HD service (only 8 HD channels, excluding OTA for $84 after promotion? Wow! Expensive!). I have HDNet and HDNet movies on Dish...good but not great. On Voom, I don't get InHd1, InHd2, or Sunshine (??). And like you, I do receive, Fox (but not in HD because they're not in HD yet), NBC HD, CBS HD, PBS1 HD, PBS2 HD, ABC HD, and WB. I also receive on Voom, like you: DiscoveryHD and TNTHD. But where is your BravoHD for the live Olympics coverage? So, in addition to your line-up I also receive on Voom: BravoHD, East and West HBOHD, East and West CinmaxHD, East and West StarZ, East and West ShowtimeHD, The Movie Channel HD, Playboy-HD, Encore-HD, ESPN-HD, plus the 21 exclusive HD channels. The PVR for Voom should be out by the end of Summer (who watches TV in the Summer anyway). And no over compressed picture quality like cable. Move to Tampa...no way! I don't like humidity or bugs. :D

There will be no 2004 Olympics on BravoHD,the channels a waste after about 2 weeks then you have seen everything on it.

I gave it a couple of months for most of the HD channels and they do get repetitive. Although I must admit I really liked Monsters, cheezy, but fun.

Heres Time Warner Houston's HD Prices

[FOX, ABC HD, NBC HD, CBS HD, PBS HD, Discovery HD, InHd, InHD2, TNT HD] = $3

[HDnet, Hdnet Movies] = $3 More

Oh also you HBO HD, HBO HD West, Showtime HD, Showtime HD West if u have their movie package.

The only channels they don't have is UPN HD, WB HD BravoHD and ESPN HD.

Its 7 Dollars for the HD Converter. The basic Digital cable package starts at $40.

So 40 + 3 + 7 = 50 Dollars a month. Or 53 with HDNet & HDNet Movies.

Just called them right now..and if i switch from Voom to Time Warner..they will offer me $20 credit per month for a year. Shoot...That means i only have to pay 33 Bucks a month (Including HDnet). I just cancelled Voom. Uninstallation on July 1st.

Haven't ordered Time warner yet. I want to wait till they get the dish off my rooftop.

I am sure you guys are like you gonna miss the exclusives...ahaha. plz don't make jokes like that. No more rain fade..no more ugly menu's. no more freezing stb.

I will still be here on the forums.

My HD rcvr is $4.95/mth but the HD DVR is $9.95/mth. A bargain while the technology settles I think.

They give you the HD locals + Discovery and TNT HD for free if you have an HD set.

bruce said:
There will be no 2004 Olympics on BravoHD,the channels a waste after about 2 weeks then you have seen everything on it.

Uhhh? I don't think your talking about BravoHD. BravoHD will be covering the 2004 Olympics in HD. Bravo is owned by NBC, and BravoHD will be covering the 2004 Olympics. Bravo's Olympic blocks run from 9 a.m. to noon and 4 to 8 p.m., with a replay of the previous day's MSNBC coverage from midnight to 6 a.m. NBC will also have a large block each day dedicated to the Olmpics in HD, but BravoHD's programming will be mostly live. BravoHD also has some other great programming, like the "arts", including the Branford Marsalis Concert, Cirque du Soleil Varekai, Angie Stone in Vancouver, Craig David in Costa Rica, Goo Goo Dolls in Alaska, Ryan Adams in Jamaica, The Calling in Italy, and Unwritten Law in Yellowstone...all in HD! After you have seen this months programs on BravoHD, turn the channel. Wait for the next month's programs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts