Finally DirecTV News

Status
Please reply by conversation.
True 50% is what it should be, but I was basing my 33% on what Dish is doing now:

QPSK 20m sym 5/6 FEC 188/204 RS = 30.7 mbit/sec
8PSK 21.5m sym 2/3 FEC 188/204 RS = 39.6 mbit/sec

Dish is actually getting less than 33% more... 28% but at 2/3 FEC turbo coded they actually need less signal than 5/6 QPSK. Now if they had enough ERP on the transponder to do what VOOM does 22m 5/6 FEC 188/204 RS they would get 50.7 mbit/sec or 65% more. There are a lot of factors.

i'm old and my math ain't to creative, but if Dish went from 2 channels of HD per transponder to 3 channels of HD per transponder with 8PSK, isn't that 50% or 33% depending on one's point of veiw?

red hazard said:
8PSK provides a 50% increase in bit rate over QPSK (ALL OTHER FACTORS BEING EQUAL)
In practice, that doesn't hold true. At least not at typical power, receiver sensitivities, and noise levels. Because the higher data density is achieved from more subtle differences in modulation states, an 8PSK modulated signal is more easily corrupted by noise. Therefore, more forward error correction is typically needed on an 8psk signal, negating some of the bandwidth advantage, resulting in a more typical NET USABLE percentage increase around the thirties. More power output at the satellite, and newer, better receiver designs could help to improve the real world 8psk advantage.

What he said :D

Seriously though, both red and darin are right.. The key in red's statement was "If all other variables stay constant". Unfortunatly FEC doesn't stay constant. It has to be increased to account for the more easily damaged signal. If they made the satellite higher powered and used entirely new LNB's on the additionally required round dish, then they could lower FEC and utilize even more bandwidth.

As for me, if 8PSK is only going to be a way to squeeze extra locals onto the far slot, it doesn't matter for me one way or another... though for those of you it does affect it would be nice to get 33%-50% more channels.. you will need a new dish anyway, just make it a special sat "d" setup...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts