Finally gonna move to pole mount vs roof mount...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Grounding underground cables is not silly. Lightning can strike an underground cable run. The correct installation requires using a ground block at the house even for an underground cable run.

Agreed The OP should reuse the ground block on the house.
All wires can have a current induced into them by nearby lightning
I was referring to grounding the dish/pole itself by running a ground wire to the house ground block.
Without starting a "should you ground" battle ,that has been pounded to death in these forums.
Dish grounding IMO is more for draining the static charge that can build up on a dish, then it is for lightning mitigation.

If there was some kind of fault with the house's grounding system, then it would be possible that it could seek (back feed) the ground through the sat. system to the pole that's planted in the ground.
Although this seems unlikely I have seen it several times

the way i prefer is just good direct burial flooded cable and conduit sweeps at the entry and exit of the earth. just in case of weedwackers and such. a full run of conduit isn't really necessary if you do that. even if that type cable were to get cut (rare cause it has a much heavier pvc coating than regular coax, the dielectric grease through the cable will pretty much make sure no water damage is ever possible.

You need to provide some way of keeping the pole from twisting in the ground/concrete
Place a clamp on it or drill it and put a bolt through it and pour the concrete around that.
I like to fill the pipe with concrete, which adds mass and rigidity to the pole and keeps water out.
Any conduit would be a good idea not so much for moisture but from the vermin that will chew on it.
To meet codes it still needs to be grounded which is silly because its in the ground

Good call ...
I forgot to mention the bolt thru the bottom then concreted in place to prevent turning.

i used to break apart the foot off of ka/ku masts and self tap it around the bottom of the pole and crete around that. I realize youll have to find a local tech to obtain this without buying the whole kit online, but ya never know... Just throwing that out there.

twizt3dkitty said:
i used to break apart the foot off of ka/ku masts and self tap it around the bottom of the pole and crete around that. I realize youll have to find a local tech to obtain this without buying the whole kit online, but ya never know... Just throwing that out there.

That's how I still do. That self tapped to a pole is more then enough to keep that pole solid

I have found them at plumbing / pipe suppliers; in addition to the DIA you need to get a good schedule (aka wall thickness) SCH 10 might do, 20 or 30 would but is overly beefy for like large C-band masts

I just used the pole that they give us but I filled it with Crete to make the pole more stable and give the pole more life

Couldn't get a hold of an installer but, did call local fence place. They have a 2" OD pole that is actually 1 7/8" OD. That's the best he said I'll find close to 2".

Will that work for me? Will the clamp tighten enough on the Slimline dish?

Couldn't get a hold of an installer but, did call local fence place. They have a 2" OD pole that is actually 1 7/8" OD. That's the best he said I'll find close to 2".

Will that work for me? Will the clamp tighten enough on the Slimline dish?

I doubt it will be big enough. How about a muffler shop?

An exhaust place has 16ga exhaust pipe that he claims is exactly 2" OD. Only thing is, it's gonna rust over time. Wonder how would it be to paint?

This is so dumb that DirecTV didn't use a standard size. I may call them and demand a relocation of my dish. I've been with them for almost 10 years and think that's the least they could do to keep me happy. Just trying to be proactive for next winter is all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)