Finally got my 922 subbed!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Comptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Travelers Rest SC
I sure am glad I got rid of D*sh. Got a chance to tweak my 6 footer on a hh180 today and subbed my 922. What a difference in picture quality over the little dish guys. I should have done this years ago. I still need slight tweaking on the dish to get quality up, i am only getting 45 to 55 quality on the westeren sats like G1. I cannot get the guide to download yet,but my quality on G1 tp3 is still weak. Hopefully tomorrow I can get a little more out of the dish and get my guide and I will be in heaven! 28 bucks a month for what d*sh was charging 60 for.

Didn't know a 922 would get enough signal on a 6' c-band to lock much DC2...you would be in shock with a 10 or 12' dish ,hhehe...

He can get amc-18 dc-II stuff with a well tuned 6 footer I think.
I am amazed that he could lock anything on G-1 with a 6 foot with a 922.
It may be do-able.

We had a guy on here once that I think he locked HBO with a 5 foot mesh. Could not have had much headroom for rain or clouds.

I am always glad to see people get away from the pizza pan tv services. After you watch their "super compresso" digital vhs quality pictures it makes C-band shine.

How much signal quality are you guys getting on HBO and Max on G-1 BTW?

73% quality on 100-111
83% quality on 112-up

10 footer mesh SAMI , BSC-621, DSR-905 Sidecar

Last edited:
He can get amc-18 dc-II stuff with a well tuned 6 footer I think.
I am amazed that he could lock anything on G-1 with a 6 foot with a 922.
It may be do-able.

We had a guy on here once that I think he locked HBO with a 5 foot mesh. Could not have had much headroom for rain or clouds.

I am always glad to see people get away from the pizza pan tv services. After you watch their "super compresso" digital vhs quality pictures it makes C-band shine.

How much signal quality are you guys getting on HBO and Max on G-1 BTW?

73% quality on 100-111
83% quality on 112-up

100-111 37% with some pixelation,12 up55%. C3 comes in strong as does C4. I cannot get GO though and yes W5 buries the meter.
I want to find a better lnbf than the bcs621 to try.Any sugestions?

Update

Tweaked the six footer a little more and now get quality on C3 at 89%. G1 now is now 59%. Pretty good for a six footer in SE Florida!

Awesome numbers on the 6 footer. I have a BSC-621 and it is "ok" but not exceptional. You can't beat it for the money i guess. I only paid 40 dollars for it.

I think a dc-2 receiver will have a stable signal down to around 32 quality.

Be sure to turn your 922 off at night, so it can update.

I think I just heard an oh-oh in my brain as I read that!:confused: I was scheduling ordering a 922 and some A la carte programing from NTS. Does this receiver need to be powered all the time:
1. to receive programming? and:
2. possibly to keep the battery from going dead?

If so to either or both, can the receiver be powered directly from DC source, ie. batteries, 12v or 24v? I can have either/both, but to leave the inverter on all the time is not wise, as inverters are really only about 23% efficient at very low power levels.

I only run my AC (110/220 Volt power) for about two hours a day, unless I am pumping water or running saws.

I hope this is not too much off thread. If it is, I can start a new thread but figured those on this thread would be the ones to really know.:up :D :hatsoff:
POP

I think I just heard an oh-oh in my brain as I read that!:confused: I was scheduling ordering a 922 and some A la carte programing from NTS. Does this receiver need to be powered all the time:
1. to receive programming? and:
2. possibly to keep the battery from going dead?

If so to either or both, can the receiver be powered directly from DC source, ie. batteries, 12v or 24v? I can have either/both, but to leave the inverter on all the time is not wise, as inverters are really only about 23% efficient at very low power levels.

I only run my AC (110/220 Volt power) for about two hours a day, unless I am pumping water or running saws.

I hope this is not too much off thread. If it is, I can start a new thread but figured those on this thread would be the ones to really know.:up :D :hatsoff:
POP

If you don't leave a 922 or any 4DTV plugged in your looking for trouble down the road. The battery in there holds your unit ID if it goes bad so does your ID. The only suggestion I can make is get a BIG ups that can run many hours and plug the 922 into that.

A UPS is just a fancy name for inverter (with power switching circuts) and my inverter lasts longer on that gel cell that the UPS I got, but that still will not do the trick. I have 8 deep cycle batteries and they do fine for the refrigeration, generator starter and furnaces --on 12 volts, and usually recharge from the solar panels. If I run the inverter, before 18 to 20 hours is up, I loose the gas leak detector from low voltage (8 volts) and then -- fortunately the generator has rope start as well as electric start so I can get the batteries recharged!

Does anyone know what the power supply puts out to operate the unit? Will Motorola tell us? --- Service shop, anyone?

It took a lot of tweaking to get a signal that good. That is why I am looking for a better lnbf. I think a good lnbf would help me out even better. My biggest problem now is that my moteck 180 has a problem counting.If I stay from say 105 westward to 135 everything falls right in place when switching sats, but if I go to say 91 west when I try to go back to C3 I have to move the dish about another 30 clicks west and the same for all sats after that. If I don' go east of 105 I am fine. Any suggestions?

comtech:
Hey thats awesome, welcome to 4dtv :)

Hey rv1pop:

I don't think you have too much to worry about if you are buying a new reciever. If you are buying a used reciever, then change the battery if it is passing up the 10 year mark. It will do fine powering up and downloading the guide when you are ready for it between power disconnects. I have a 920 that sat in a closet for 10 years and was in service for another 3 years before that. I got it and changed out the origional maxwell battery it came with (make sure you look this delicate procedure up before attempting) and it was still reading like new (3.68 volts lithium). Receiver saves your satellite settings, so if you unplug you won't lose that. But if you unplug you will lose the guide information and that might become a nuisance to download guide constantly if you plan on cutting power frequently (oh wait, isn't that what mini dish does -- guide download at every turning on of reciever?) Also if you are RVing, do you actually have access to a cband antenna or are you just inquiring for future reference?

A UPS is just a fancy name for inverter (with power switching circuts) and my inverter lasts longer on that gel cell that the UPS I got, but that still will not do the trick. I have 8 deep cycle batteries and they do fine for the refrigeration, generator starter and furnaces --on 12 volts, and usually recharge from the solar panels. If I run the inverter, before 18 to 20 hours is up, I loose the gas leak detector from low voltage (8 volts) and then -- fortunately the generator has rope start as well as electric start so I can get the batteries recharged!

Does anyone know what the power supply puts out to operate the unit? Will Motorola tell us? --- Service shop, anyone?

I would think 12 volts, and + and - 5 volts dc for the main pcb, and 24-36 vdc for the jack. You can call Motorola or ATS and ask but I don't know if your privy to this information. Only other option is if someone cracks the case and measures it. :)

I would think 12 volts, and + and - 5 volts dc for the main pcb, and 24-36 vdc for the jack. You can call Motorola or ATS and ask but I don't know if your privy to this information. Only other option is if someone cracks the case and measures it. :)

Ok. Thanks for that info. I do not know if I would trust Motorola to give me an answer, but I will find ATS and they should know.I had forgotten that companies name. Probably +5 would all I would need to keep memory but I am sure ATS would know. Would not need Jack power when turned off +12V is easy and +/- 5 V is not at all hard to provide from nicads or a couple of gelcells.

One of the ads from Motorola said "You can get better, but you can't pay more."

I will have C-band at the property. I carry KU in the motor home. At "HOME" we can not get OTA very well, and have not found news on KU. I saw a la carte news on NTS website. Usually when RV'ing we can get some news etc, but have KU for TBN and Daystar.

Thanks again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts