Status
Please reply by conversation.

chapelrun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
Berryville, VA
Thanks to the great information here - - - I finally got my new motor working.

Using my old DirecPC, some PVC, plywood and a DG-380 motor I finally got on the arc today.

I think the biggest challenge was figuring out how to match the dish up with the motor. In the end - - -- It was some research and alot of trial and error.

I liked working on this project but it took alot more tinkering than I orginally thought. But I learned alot about motors and my receiver.

I may move my GeoSatPro 90 over to 83 West since RTN does not come in to well with the motorized setup.

Here are some PIX.

Attachments

• chapelrun-motor.JPG
    chapelrun-motor.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 240
  • chapelrun-MOTOR2.JPG
    chapelrun-MOTOR2.JPG
    508.2 KB · Views: 253
Original Mounting Bracket

This was the original mounting bracket - - - except it used to have a metal swivel for setting skew.

My first try I had the dish mounted upside down still using the metal part but in that config I could not get enough elevation to make the dish work.

I removed the metal part and made the wood part - - - still trying to mount the dish upside down.

In the end - - - I decided it was better and easier to point right side up.

I think now I could have made it work with the metal part but I think I like the ghetto look. :)

BTW, I'm trying to add 30W, 43W and 58W into my VisionSat 200 but even if I name them "43W INTELSAT" the receiver does not seem to know the location in the sky.

Do I have to do something else to make sure the VisionSat 200 know where these satellites are located?

This was the original mounting bracket - - - except it used to have a metal swivel for setting skew.

My first try I had the dish mounted upside down still using the metal part but in that config I could not get enough elevation to make the dish work.

I removed the metal part and made the wood part - - - still trying to mount the dish upside down.

In the end - - - I decided it was better and easier to point right side up.

I think now I could have made it work with the metal part but I think I like the ghetto look. :)

BTW, I'm trying to add 30W, 43W and 58W into my VisionSat 200 but even if I name them "43W INTELSAT" the receiver does not seem to know the location in the sky.

Do I have to do something else to make sure the VisionSat 200 know where these satellites are located?

ChapelRun,

If you are using USALS for most or all of your sats and your site is more than 59 degrees west (or east) of a satellite position, you will have to switch to DiSEqC 1.2 and pan the dish (move the motor) with the commands in the motor setup menu to locate those satellites. Then use the save/recalculate or store function to save the position.

USALS does not allow you to go beyond +/- 59 degrees from your site's azimuth position (longitude coordinate). The motor will simply play dead like a opposum.

RADAR

Good job and pics
I would add one thing to the build.
Since I get like 45" of rain a year I light to pre-prime and paint anything I put outside made out of wood or metal.
It take a bit longer BUT helps make it last longer.

Good luck with your new setup.
:up

That is a good idea

I like your idea - - - I will get some lead based paint and paint the wood with a brush.

Also, I tried again last night to get 30W, 43W and 58W using USALS.

My longitude is 79W thus plus or minus 59 should be 20W to 138W - - - should work using USALS.

If I go to DiSEqC 1.2 as AcWxRadar suggests - - - I have to do that globally correct? Meaning I cannot have some on USALS and some on DiSEqC 1.2

Lastly the other satellites are list as "97.0W" - - - Do you think the point zero matters - - - - as I put the extra location is as simply "43W Intelsat"

Thanks for all the help - - -

My longitude is 79W thus plus or minus 59 should be 20W to 138W - - - should work using USALS.

If I go to DiSEqC 1.2 as AcWxRadar suggests - - - I have to do that globally correct? Meaning I cannot have some on USALS and some on DiSEqC 1.2

You should be able to mix USALS and DiSEqC 1.2. I've never seen a receiver that couldn't.

The only receivers that cant mix them are receivers that cant do USALS ;)

Chapelrun,

Yes, you can mix 'em up in any combination, a few on USALS, a few on DiSEqC - however you prefer or need to. Provided as stated above that the receiver be USALS capable.

I use both, but mostly I use USALS across the board. One instance where I use DiSEqC 1.2 is for Hispasat @ 30.0W which is beyond the reach of USALS for my location at 96.4W.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts