Finally my 811 has arrived…. Good right??

caesar gdi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2004
I finally got my 811 after waiting over 2 hours late last night at the UPS station (a long story) anyways I rush home and hook it up. I notice that 811 will not lock onto 119 or 61.5 but I continue anyways in hopes that the update will resolve the issue. It did not; I still can only lock onto 110. I call dish and they run through the usual check switch, power cycle, and transponder checks, still no lock. So the CSR decides that the STB must be bad because my 510 locks on all three just fine. The CSR says that something may have happened during shipping which would not surprise me because I watch UPS use someone’s package to open a door while I was waiting for mine and it was not gentile! Anyways I opened this thread in hopes to find out that this issue could be fixed without waiting for another box

Here are some details of my issue. The signal strength for 61.5 and 119 are right at 100 with an error message saying “wrong sat echostar 110” also when I run a check switch it reads “LNBs DP feed” and Status Warning “only one satellite connected”

Please let me know what you guys think.

Are you replacing an older type receiver that required a DishPro adapter with the 811? If so, did you remove the adapter? The 811 has the DishPro tech built in.

I have no idea what a dishpro adapter is... the DVR 510 reciever was the old on and I was also able to get the 301 to work fine on that line.

worth a shot

Same thing happened last Sunday with my 301. I swapped the line going to the 301 with another output on the DP34 switch and everything was back to normal. If you have a DP34 switch give that a try.

I have never done an install before... How do I know which one is the DP34 or even if it is a DP34? I think I have two one outside and one in my attic

DP-34 related

I have a similar problem re: the DP34. Just added a 3rd receiver and due to some cable shuffling the 3rd receiver was supposed to go to the 2nd output. Well it did the same as above post. Only locked on 110. Installer said it must be a bad switch (only about a month old so I told him to notate it on work order which I believe he did not ) Anyways put it on the 3rd output and all was well. So now I have a receiver on 1, 3 and 4. Just found out 4 is also doing the same w/ a 301 (child didn't let me know for about a month that he didn't have all the channels he should have, go figure). Anyways this means output 2 and 4 don't seem to work right. Contacted Dish as to advice but still waiting. Odd thing is 2 will lock on 110 and 4 will lock on 119 but that's it. 1 and 3 w/ 5XX receivers work just fine. Tried switching the 4 to 2 and pulling the smart card but no luck so far........Any advice as this seems to be a common? situation.
For now will blame the Chinese made switch.

Welcome aboard Jeff!

First, note that there is no such thing as a SW34. If it's a recent install, it's a DP34. In the old days, there were SW64 and SW44, but never a SW34. It becomes obvious as the technology is learned. ;)

Anyway, I've had luck by pulling ALL power (receivers) from a DP34 and simply trying again.

re DP-34

Er, sorry was writing in a hurry re. SW vs DP designation.
Anyways so there is hope re: the switch? (DP-34). The tech saying a bad switch (actually more of a bad port on the switch) kind of killed my enthusiasm to experiment. Will pull all (from switch side or box side or does it matter?) and start over. Got any step by step advice regarding this problem. Any unwritten "tricks" Would help me and the original poster who seems to have the same problem.

Doesn't matter which end of the cable to disconnect (how could it?).

You'll discover that most so-called "techs" can't find a LNB if it's shoved down their throat. Ditto for CSRs. That being said, he might be right and the switch IS bad.

Anyway, the pull power trick has worked for me (and others) before. Most recently for me in a four 311 install. Pulled all the cables, took the feed for the closest box (so I could hear) and ran it through each port. Checked out OK, Hooked everything back up, power-cord booted the receivers, and all was well.

What's a STB? and...

Will try to pull all the power and start over. Main question is is the 1st receiver port the power port? i.e. the one that powers the switch. From the installers comments (something on the line of "at least you have #1 hooked up) I assume this is the case. If so maybe just pulling the plug on the receiver which is hooked to 1 will allow me to recycle all receivers w/ out pulling all plugs from the switch. Is this a false assumption and each receiver powers it's own circuit? Up until the install of the superdish I have been fairly self reliant on the service end.
Have bought a backup DP-34 (used on ebay for $20) in the event of Dishnetwork being poky in re: to a replacement if needed. They have been pretty slow re: anything these days. Actually a real bad year for me and them re: upgrades and service (many long ugly stories)
Wouldn't even had an installer over here except they kept screwing up a simple order on a 3rd receiver.
Thanks for all your help, I've got some experimenting to do :eek:

False assumption. The DP34 will run at least partially with nothing plugged into port #1. See my previous post.

Second, not knowing the internal structure of the DP34, the only way to be sure it's going to reset is to pull ALL power at the same time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts