Finally -- My high speed internet is faster than dial up!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rv1pop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Ah, who carers besides me, but :D -- my ISP has finally gotten high speed internet out here, 10 miles past The Boonies! I now can actually read the forums! 1.5 to 2.1 mbps.... It has been 0.035 for so long...

Hello everybody, Now the wonderful chilly WX is not bothering me so much either:rolleyes: ; + 26 degrees F at the computer this morning!

Last edited:
I was so happy to get DSL (and now cable is available as well) when they brought it here almost three years ago. Most of my computing life has been on dialup with no other option except for satellite broadband.

Congrats to you pop, that sounds about like my so-called dsl. But, compared to dial-up, it is like a T-1, lol. Just read about a guy somewhere who has FIOS, who is paying 85bucks a month for 75mb dsl. Sounds high, but that is blistering fast to me!

I used to operate a wireless internet business. It is great to have that option in an area that lacks DSL/cable. Sometimes when a wireless internet provider pops up into certain areas, the phone/cable companies swoop right in bringing the service to those areas.

I used to operate a wireless internet business. It is great to have that option in an area that lacks DSL/cable. Sometimes when a wireless internet provider pops up into certain areas, the phone/cable companies swoop right in bringing the service to those areas.
How can I get Verizon to swoop in and bring FiOS to us out in the boonies ? They will sell me POTS at the moment...

Congratulations! You'll be spoiled by the speed, and will never be able to use dial-up again.
Well, that was part of the problem ... NO POTS so no dial-up. My phone is VOIP and at the speed I had my phone was about 20 minutes a day on VOIP. Glad that T-Mobile wanted to keep me as a cell phone customer, so they aimed an antenna (lobe) at my property! (and their 4G network out here was only 2G!)

Thats cool that T-Mobile aimed their sector antenna towards you. Never heard of a cell company doing that. My guess is that they did not have many customers off that tower.

You wont get them to "swoop" FIOS in an area that has such few customers that they don't deem DSL a possiblity. Usually DSL/cable is what comes in, not FIOS, to those rural areas.

Thats cool that T-Mobile aimed their sector antenna towards you. Never heard of a cell company doing that. My guess is that they did not have many customers off that tower.

You wont get them to "swoop" FIOS in an area that has such few customers that they don't deem DSL a possiblity. Usually DSL/cable is what comes in, not FIOS, to those rural areas.

The antenna lobe is really to provide 'Rufus, OR' area on I-84 with coverage. However, if they cover the most of I-84 along there from this antenna, I am in the center of the sweet spot! So when I go down, I reports it as "Rufus has limited coverage" --- and they immediately get on it. They keep customers on the freeway happy so T-Mobile is happy - and I keep cell coverage, so I am Happy & Thanksgiving!

Hey! Now I understand what you guys are talking about "streaming" on the internet! Interesting! But I will stick to FTA!!!!

Its sad i stream more IPTV than watch FTA because it is so much easier to find most stuff streaming now. Takes the fun out of "finding" :(

You guys that don't have access to goo wire speeds, have you looked at Exede, the pricing is meh compared wire, but the speeds are great!!!

That's great POP! You WILL really enjoy the speed!
A friend of mine gets his on a dish at his house. But the signal comes off an antenna on top of a farmers silo about 2-1/2 miles from him. Right through some trees!
ENJOY!
RT

I get low speed internet here, maxes out at 300kb/s and down to dial up speeds when the kids are all home playing their games etc. We are supposed to be getting an upgrade soon but I have they will not tell me what the "new" equipment will be, frequency of operation, or power output. Not sure what the big secret is... I use the internet connection for business so it is a business account and gets some priority over residential, but is rather expensive, over $100/mo. I used to do some work with the original ISP I am with now, but they were bought out by another company, who was just bought out again over the last few months. There is one more wireless provider in the area but I have seen their AP setup and it is hap-hazard at best... At least the wisp I deal with has some real techs working for them.

The phone company discontinued their dial up service in favour of DSL, however we are not within range of their DSL service. No wireless 4g or LTE here, can't really get a smart phone to work through their cell system, except for text messages and voice.

Nice to see progress somewhere, congrats RVPop!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)