Finally ordered some goodies

Status
Please reply by conversation.
A 6' dish will usually pick-up C-band signals from adjacent satellites located with 2 degree spacing. The reflector size is too small to be 2 degree compliant. This adjacent satellite interference can be worse if the FD is not properly set, causing stronger sidelobes. Proper FD setting will attenuate sidelobes and peak the target main lobe.

Optimizing the mainlobe on a specific transponder, which may or may not have overlapping signals from the adjacent satellite(s), will affect the performance on other transponders that may or may not have adjacent satellite interference. Tuning an undersized dish is best when averaging for best performance across multiple transponders and satellites.

Move the 6 footer to 99 degrees and try to get the strong Lesea mux. If you are successful then try to get the ABC at 4120 both horizontal. I had trouble using my 8 1/2 foot fiberglass dish until I replaced the LNB with the Titanium LNBF. Now ABC booms. Mind you you need a C Band LNBF and I hope your dish is prime focus not offset otherwise you will have to spend more money just to try an experiment that may not work.

Carl

Last edited:
I'll try that with the 6 footer, it is a Prime Focus with an C Band LNBF (Dual output for 2 receivers), not sure what brand it is, it's kinda bleached from being exposed to the sun, but I could make out the C Band bit and a small portion of the frequency range on the tag.

I'm gonna have to put it back up (after I mount it to the motorized polar mount). It's been really windy the last couple days, and it got bad enough that my dad went over to my place and laid the 6 footer down on the ground and strapped it to my snow plow for my truck, because it was in the process of trying to take off while I was at work.

It was also windy enough, that I have to replace some bolts on my 36" KU Geosat Offset, it bent the bolts that hold the pole to the bottom mount and twisted the stabilizing brackets/arms. Knocked my experimental dish out of alignment too, I had just set up a modified Dish 500 dish with a Geosat KU Lnbf on it, aimed at 99W, the day before the wind started.

Fixed and readjusted my 36" KU, and set up the 6' BUD again. Aimed the 6 footer at 99w, getting a lot of stuff, but ABC at 4120 isn't one of them, quality flickers around 10% on 4120.

I ran out of daylight, I might be able to improve that by tweaking the adjustments on the 6 footer some more. I wonder about the LNBF that came with it though, it's a mystery and I'm thinking it'd probably be a good idea to buy a new Titanium LNBF next payday that way I know I'm not trying to "adjust" around a weak lnbf.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)