Finally...quality TV movie listings!

Klyla

Original poster
Mar 11, 2006
:up I don't know if this good news has reached the forum yet but for others here like me who absolutely HATED the pathetic TV listing guide for movies I have happy news to report: The TV listings on Verizon FIOS finally have the actors, directors, etc. showing in the listings so it's now possible to search for actors and find listings to record.

Since changing from DISHNetwork to Verizon FIOS, I have been missing quality listings so much I was about ready to bail....I am so glad I waited!!

Lucky FIOS users...:\

A question, someone on here stated that when they install FIOS, that they physically remove all the telco copper lines, is that true?

damaged said:
A question, someone on here stated that when they install FIOS, that they physically remove all the telco copper lines, is that true?

No

damaged said:
Lucky FIOS users...:\

Actually, yes this is partially correct. The default installation is that Verizon will remove any Verizon copper telco lines they have previously installed. Verizon cannot legally remove any other telco's copper lines (since Verizon doesn't own them). Some people have had luck convincing Verizon to leave the copper lines in when installing Fios. However, the long-term goal of Verizon is to remove all copper since it's more expensive to maintain.

I have to wonder why anybody would want to keep the copper lines. The fiber comes up the NID (Network Inteface Device) outside of the house, from there it is copper as always (Cat 5 for the internet, and typical cable for the TV). It is not fiber to the TV or to the router, just to the NID.

Huachipato said:
I have to wonder why anybody would want to keep the copper lines. The fiber comes up the NID (Network Inteface Device) outside of the house, from there it is copper as always (Cat 5 for the internet, and typical cable for the TV). It is not fiber to the TV or to the router, just to the NID.

In the event of natural disaster, nuclear war, etc., some folks worry that the battery backup for the NID would fail within 12 hours or less, leaving you without phone service.

Verizon is working on its guide data this week.

In the past, their data hadn't been managed well at all. Many of their channels were missing flags and program info, which hurt the usability and functionality of the dvr. Hopefully, those problems will soon be a thing of the past.

If you see any issues with the guide data (causing a problem with your DVR), feel free to post it here or pm me and I'll get it fixed. Please be as specific as possible.

Last edited:
I hope they give those with DVR boxes the ability to set a reminder instead of only being able to record it.

The ability to be able to customize the color scheme would be nice too. :)

Since you asked Ken

Since you asked for posts about the guide, here is my suggestion.

Step 1) Find a Dish conection and review how theirs works.
Step 2) Copy the functionality.

Some things to look at:

1) The font
2) The flow
3) The size of the banner
4) The overlay characteristics (opaque)

Here's one for you. One a wide screen TV lets see a wide screen menu!

The biggest problem with the menu system at this time is that you can only see part of a show listing since the font is so large and the bar is so small. Again, look over the Dish menu and you will see the correct way to do it. They spent a lot of time 'listening' when they built their system. Take Microsofts business model: When something works better that what you have built, copy it.

Now, not bitchin, love my service, just want to help make it better.

One more suggestion

Here is one more suggestion for you. If your not married, find a wife and let her use Dish for about 6 months then switch her to Fios.

I can assure you that if you have anything to do with programming at that point you won't get much peace in your household (either).

garland,

The software on the box is a separate issue. That is an ongoing process. I doubt we will see significant changes to the interface before MSTV v1.8 next year.

This week they are working on the configuration of their backend which supplies all the program information (and flags like repeat, new-run) that you get for every program. That's what they need feedback on. The DVR relies on this information to record the right program at the right time.

As an aside, Verizon just rolled out the multi-room functionality today in some markets. For now, cost is $19.95/mo. Won't be available everywhere for awhile.

Last edited:
I see every movie on StarzHD is now "HD". So they still need some work there.

But on the SD channels, it says "Available in HD" instead of having the HD logo, which is good!

-John

Ken F said:
garland,

The software on the box is a separate issue. That is an ongoing process. I doubt we will see significant changes to the interface before MSTV v1.8 next year.

This week they are working on the configuration of their backend which supplies all the program information (and flags like repeat, new-run) that you get for every program. That's what they need feedback on. The DVR relies on this information to record the right program at the right time.

As an aside, Verizon just rolled out the multi-room functionality today in some markets. For now, cost is $19.95/mo. Won't be available everywhere for awhile.

Thanks for the feedback and I appreciate your answer. Now, I'm going to pick on Fios a little. Why, why, why did they decide to do Multi-room in standard only? Why make the primary investment in dying technology. I thought the idea was to get peopl to start the conversion to HD gear. I thought that all broadcasters were mandated to convert to HD in a certain timeframe. Why build anything that ONLY supports SD? Makes no sense to me. Since the HD boxes can down-convert to SD why not focus on HD and help push the market?

In any case, I am off topic and I thank you for reading.

garland,

The update was ready for the SD box. It wasn't ready for the HD box.

Also consider that the HD DVR is just $3/mo more than the HD STB; many customers would probably just prefer to have two HDTV DVRs for $25.98 total than paying $29.90 to get one HD DVR w/ multiroom and one HD STB.

Ken F said:
garland,

The update was ready for the SD box. It wasn't ready for the HD box.

Also consider that the HD DVR is just $3/mo more than the HD STB; many customers would probably just prefer to have two HDTV DVRs for $25.98 total than paying $29.90 to get one HD DVR w/ multiroom and one HD STB.

That works unless others, like myself, only have the single HD as a main TV and most of the other TV's in the house as standard. I know a lot of people and my situation is pretty typical. I am sure that this will change. As soon as the SD box in the bedroom dies we will install HD there also.

Now the problem with the seperate units. Can't watch a movie in bed that we recorded on the main set. If this seems like a minor annoyance to you, I would have to say that you are probably a single person. In our house, the main TV becomes 'my domain' in the evenings. During prime time, moth my wife and I enjoy it, and we will watch one show and tape something else that we would like to watch, or the wife will tape her shows that she wants to watch. the problem comes in after hours when she does not have access to 'the domain'. She is forced to the master where the other TV is located and then canot watch wat was recorded on the main set. Everyone can see what that conversation was/is like.

For me, the extra coupe of dollars a month are well wort it, as I get it back in in other ways ;) Also, dual unit DVR's usually have a lot more hard disk space. I can tell you that the Motorola box I have now is a disgrace when it comes to space. Dish gave us more than 3 times the recording space. We record a LOT of HD content and the box is 50% full after about 4 -5 hours. We got about 20 hours on Dish. Isn't Verizon a multi-billion dollar company? Can't they afford to negotiate larger hard disks with Motorola. Why buy the cheapest model that they sell? Why short change all these folks that are taking the plunge with them? We deserve better.

Now, I have robbed this thread once again and I feel bad about it, but I'll get over it.

Be sure to check your recordings for Entourage and Deadwood. Looks like they were flagged as repeats by accident. Probably won't be fixed until Monday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts