Finally; The Ideal Paint for Satellite Dishes

Mike500

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Thiepval
I've seen a few posts on these forums on painting satellite dishes. I've had varying degrees of success and failures over the years.

Most paints don't stick too well to the heat applied plastic powder coating used on dbs dishes. I've tried epoxy, but they are messy and sometimes take days to fully harden.

Last week, I tried the new Krylon Fusion spray paint sold for painting plastics. It worked great. Now, my white Dish500 on the roof is much harder to see on top of my roof. I used the white satin color and textured Fusion paint. It is low sheen and is a special formulation that even sticks to glass, but is especially designed for plastics. Anyone familiar with chemical engineering, adhesives and paints know how hard it is to get good adhesion with polyethylene and polypropylene. This stuff really works. I painted a patch polyethylene bucket and after a week, it held tight even when the bucket was flexed.

This paint is available at Walmart for $3.77 a can in several satin colors including Hunter Green which would look good on dishes near bushes. The plastics on the lnbs accepted the paint very well. I just stuck 2 inch circles cut from removable paper labels over the plastic aperature of the lnbs.

One warning, though. This stuff is runny. Use very light coats. The stuff dries enough for handling in 15-20 minutes.

Yeah, thanks for the idea. Did you keep track of your signal strength numbers before and after?

second that. thank you very much. i have wanted to paint the dish i had for some time, but never got around to it because alot of questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)