Finally upgraded to the hopper 3/4k joey /joey 2.0 today.

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
Got my new equipment from my online retailer last Monday and finally got around to installing it the first day I was off work today. I got up early this Saturday and hooked up all my new equipment and then went out to install the e.a. hybrid lnb with the hybrid switch. I had found an abandoned 1000.2 western arc dish in the park where I live and I took it home and switched it to eastern arc. I took my old 1000.4 dish down that I installed 8 years ago. Hooked up the new dish and put the lnb in place and then proceeded to spend hours trying to get it to see both 61.5 and 72.7 sats.

The hybrid switch was simple to install ,but the only problem was I had three coaxes hooked up to my old dish and I only needed one. So I had to hook up to each coax to my sat meter till one of them went green on the meter. I then had to mark it with tape so I didn't lose it again. I took the other two coaxes and hooked it to my terk 44 ota antenna on one end and the splitter I wasn't using now under the house. Just in case I ever need two other coaxes in the future.

So I started around 9:00am and worked and worked and kept looking at my sat meter strength and I had to use my hopper 2 with sling to peak the dish . I couldn't even see the dish with my unauthorized hopper 3 yet. I even went to my parents house to snap a picture with my phone of their eastern arc dish I installed last summer on their roof. There was very little difference in the settings since we are in the same area. I went home and tried their settings and nothing seemed to work . I kept seeing 61.5 at low signal strength and no 72.7. I was beginning to think that the 1000.4 sat dish was easier to install and that took hours too. I also thought that maybe the old dish was bent or the skew wasn't set right because I moved it from western arc to eastern arc.

Finally, I remembered that my old 1000.4 dish was looking at the wrong sats when I had originally installed it in 08 and it dawned on me that this might be the same situation. Sure enough the new 1000.2 sat dish was looking a little to much to the right and the strengths were coming in great with my cheap sat meter, even if they weren't on the receiver. I moved it more to the left almost looking at the back of my house and bingo the meter was buzzing on the lowest setting even. I went inside and the receiver was counting down the check switch and BINGO I had both 61.5 and 72.7 sats and my spot beam for my locals was at 62 strength.

By now it was 3:00pm and I hooked up the hopper 3 in place of my hopper 2 receiver. Then it started downloading the software and counting down the steps . The 4k joey did the same and the joey 2.0 was counting down too. When I got to the step to authorize all 3 , I called DISH to turn them on . I called technical department ,since this receiver is the latest thing and the regular csr would give me grief to try to do it on their end. Well the technical dept. gave me grief instead. " We can't turn on the hopper 3 because you need a tech to come out and install a new hybrid lnb with switch. " I then proceeded to tell him about my eventful day and how tired I was and wanted them to just turn it on ,since I have installed all my receivers in my house going back to the very first dvr receivers like the 500 series. I have had all 3 hoppers and did all my installs , sat dishes, switches etc. I said I had been with DISH 19 and a half years and I was a Sat guys website member and I knew a little more about the switch and lnb that I needed etc. He put me on hold and I waited for ever. When he came back he continued to apologize about the rules and then the receivers authorized while I was talking to him. Then he said that the supervisor approval must of come through and they turned it on . I said thanks and hung up.

The hopper 3 came up and then the 4k joey ,but the joey 2.0 didn't seem to get the software update and it took another call to the tech dept. to get it to authorized it and it took the software update and it came on with the new carbon interface too. I restored my timers and preferences and played with the preference and the ota scan etc. By now it was close to 5:00pm. My wife came home from her weekend only job and looked at me ,since I hadn't even shaved or showered yet and said : "YOU didn't do anything today did you?" After filling her in with my day , she said OK,Ok, I'm sorry, I didn't know it would be that hard.

So far, I like the interface ,not crazy about the 52.0 remote control yet. But I am determined to use it on both the 4 k joey and the hopper 3. But I also have the older hopper 40.0 remotes on both devices in case I can't stand to wait ,till I learn the new remote control ways. I made one ota recording that I did while I was watching and it played fine. Haven't tested the old timers yet for ota . Will find out Monday on what happens on Metv shows. I think that this hopper is really cool ! I love the quick guides and the picture quality is sharper to me on all the tvs on all three receivers. Like the option to use the classic guide or the new modern darker guide.

Well, that is all for my first day with the hopper 3 , 4k joey and joey 2.0. Hope that it only improves and gets better in time for the fall season to start. Really , really want ota to work right, at all times.:biggrin2 Now, I'm going to bed, because I am really tired. Good night to all.

WOW MikeD-C05, you had a hell of a day, good job. I know you are more appreciative and will enjoy your self-installed Hopper 3 system more because you did it yourself. I installed most of my 722 system back in 2007 and know how you feel.

My daughter had a Hopper 3 and five Joey 2s installed last Thursday coming from a 722 system. They are going thru a culture shock but they too are really enjoying their new system. They also said that their picture quality is sharper. The 52.0 remote control is a big learning cure for her family so I have shipped them a spare 40.0 remote and an OTA module. My daughter lives in the country outside of San Angelo, Texas. A DISH retailer installed their system using the previously installed western arc 1000.2 dish with the new hybrid LNBs. The DISH retailer shop said they are an Independent DISH retailer so they had to charge them $95 and the equipment was free. Have you heard of an Independent DISH retailer before? I thought all DISH retailers were the same.

My daughter is going to swap out the Joey 2s to 4K Joeys in the future as they change over to 4K TVs. They have a wireless Internet service provider (WISP). Their Internet speed is only about 3.5 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. Do you think this slow service will be an issue for the 4K TVs?

Thanks for posting your self-install experience. I am sure someone will learn from you. I am biting at the bits to go to the new Hopper 3 system. It sure is hard waiting for the new DPH42 switch to come out so I can go to the Hopper 3 system too someday.

http://sngsatellite.com/
http://www.wcc.net/

Congrats on getting it installed and working, Mike...and here's hoping the OTA recording issues don't make you too miserable. I know that was important to you. Maybe your luck will be better with the once-in-a-while good OTA recordings than I have!

Congrats on getting it all setup. Hopper 3 and 4K Joey is the way to go in my opinion if you can. I don't know if it's just me, but coming from the hopper 2 and super Joey, I could notice better picture quality with the hopper 3 and 4K Joey. I imagine it's just better chipsets and better hardware in general causing this. I truly enjoy the new boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

... A DISH retailer installed their system using the previously installed western arc 1000.2 dish with the new hybrid LNBs. The DISH retailer shop said they are an Independent DISH retailer so they had to charge them $95 and the equipment was free. Have you heard of an Independent DISH retailer before? I thought all DISH retailers were the same. ...

Most regular DISH retailers are called independent. That just means they're in business for themselves and they are not a DISH RSP or owned by DISH.

If the retailer is the original dealer and installer or the retailer of record for the customer then the $95 service call charge is lowered to $10 or waived if the customer is on the protection plan. That's just like if you call the regular CSR's and is all governed by DISH business rules. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Most regular DISH retailers are called independent. That just means they're in business for themselves and they are not a DISH RSP or owned by DISH.

If the retailer is the original dealer and installer or the retailer of record for the customer then the $95 service call charge is lowered to $10 or waived if the customer is on the protection plan. That's just like if you call the regular CSR's and is all governed by DISH business rules. :)
Well, this retailer shop is the same shop that installed their 722 system a couple of years ago in their new home in the county. My daughter has been on the Protection Plan since they joined DISH several years ago at their old home in San Angelo. I will call her today and see if they lowered the fee to $10 or free and she didn't tell me. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: JSheridan
Congrats on getting it all setup. Hopper 3 and 4K Joey is the way to go in my opinion if you can. I don't know if it's just me, but coming from the hopper 2 and super Joey, I could notice better picture quality with the hopper 3 and 4K Joey. I imagine it's just better chipsets and better hardware in general causing this. I truly enjoy the new boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app
Thanks . I noticed the same thing on all of my tvs using the new receivers. I agree that the chip sets are newer , just like in all new receivers, and that is what you are seeing in the way of better pq. I have yet to add a 4k tv to the mix, because I just bought two new hd tvs last year. But I will be just waiting for one to fail , so I can get me a new 4k tv for my living room. I am really loving the new hopper. :love

Congrats on getting it installed and working, Mike...and here's hoping the OTA recording issues don't make you too miserable. I know that was important to you. Maybe your luck will be better with the once-in-a-while good OTA recordings than I have!
Thanks, it was a lot of work. I have already noticed that if I set a recording on an ota channel while I am on it , the show turns out ok. If I set a recording in the guide , I get jumpy , pixelation and drop outs . I set many ota timers today and all were like that. The two I did last night , I was actually on the ota channel when I set it. I will probably drop by Best buy today and pick up a small external hard drive to pair with my old 211k and use it just for ota recordings , like I did back in 2012 when I got my first hopper and it too had ota recording problems.

WOW MikeD-C05, you had a hell of a day, good job. I know you are more appreciative and will enjoy your self-installed Hopper 3 system more because you did it yourself. I installed most of my 722 system back in 2007 and know how you feel.

My daughter had a Hopper 3 and five Joey 2s installed last Thursday coming from a 722 system. They are going thru a culture shock but they too are really enjoying their new system. They also said that their picture quality is sharper. The 52.0 remote control is a big learning cure for her family so I have shipped them a spare 40.0 remote and an OTA module. My daughter lives in the country outside of San Angelo, Texas. A DISH retailer installed their system using the previously installed western arc 1000.2 dish with the new hybrid LNBs. The DISH retailer shop said they are an Independent DISH retailer so they had to charge them $95 and the equipment was free. Have you heard of an Independent DISH retailer before? I thought all DISH retailers were the same.

My daughter is going to swap out the Joey 2s to 4K Joeys in the future as they change over to 4K TVs. They have a wireless Internet service provider (WISP). Their Internet speed is only about 3.5 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. Do you think this slow service will be an issue for the 4K TVs?

Thanks for posting your self-install experience. I am sure someone will learn from you. I am biting at the bits to go to the new Hopper 3 system. It sure is hard waiting for the new DPH42 switch to come out so I can go to the Hopper 3 system too someday.

Thanks, for the congrats. I have now installed all three different type of hoppers , nodes, switches. etc since 2012. Using the install diagrams off this website and making copies it has been pretty straight forward to do the wiring . Now pointing the damn dish in the right direction was different. I wish I had remembered this back in 2008 when I installed my first eastern arc 1000.4 sat dish. But I am getting older and I just don't remember like I used to . Today I set up my I pad and phone to use my dish anywhere app. Had to reinstall some new version of the dish anywhere app on my computer as well , in order to get it to work with all the different mediums. Set up all my folders and went through all my timers to put them back in their personal folders like I had on my hopper 2 and I am getting better and more familiar with the remote buttons using this new short remote control. I still don't think that it is quite as good as the earlier remote controls. But I might be looking at getting the voice activated remote control when it comes out.

Funny , I noticed today when I looked at my 211k that is plugged in to the western arc dish and is plugged in to the satellites , but is not subscribed and hasn't been since 2012, that all my ota channels now have guide information , just like my subscribed hopper does. It is on a separate western arc sat dish and pole and in no way connected with the 1000.2 with the hybrid eastern arc lnb that I just installed. I wonder if DISH has decided that they aren't going to restrict the guide information for the ota channels any longer? Or maybe they know I was going to re add the 211k to my account and they turned it on early? :biggrin

Thanks, for the congrats. I have now installed all three different type of hoppers , nodes, switches. etc since 2012. Using the install diagrams off this website and making copies it has been pretty straight forward to do the wiring . Now pointing the damn dish in the right direction was different. I wish I had remembered this back in 2008 when I installed my first eastern arc 1000.4 sat dish. But I am getting older and I just don't remember like I used to . Today I set up my I pad and phone to use my dish anywhere app. Had to reinstall some new version of the dish anywhere app on my computer as well , in order to get it to work with all the different mediums. Set up all my folders and went through all my timers to put them back in their personal folders like I had on my hopper 2 and I am getting better and more familiar with the remote buttons using this new short remote control. I still don't think that it is quite as good as the earlier remote controls. But I might be looking at getting the voice activated remote control when it comes out.

Yep, SatGuys forum is the best. I have learned everything I know from members like you about DISH TV satellite system. I remember you were the one that figured out the severe OTA issues several years ago for some of us when Eastern Arc came about and there was a little OTA timer mixture problem with it and the Western Arc. That was a big headache for several of us. I wish I had your experience sighting in them there big birds in the sky. That is the one thing I don’t do.

I am a little leery of the 52.0 remotes too but going to give them a good try and have the 40.0 close by in case needed. I hope someone comes up with a spreadsheet that tells you what button does what and the number of button presses, etc, similar to the color button spreadsheet. My daughter and family are already having troubles getting use to the 52.0 and they never had a 40.0. When the 50.0 voice remote comes out I am going to get one for my daughter to try out.

Again congrats on your new system. Must be really nice not to deal with conflicts anymore.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
Congrats on your install the H3 is great I read where you where having OTA recording problems like a lot of people on here. I don't have those OTA problems weather its luck or I did something right. This is just a thought but I have my OTA module plugged into the 3.0 usb port in back instead of the 2.0 port. I don't think the module is 3.0 compliant but as I said this is just a thought.....

Yep, SatGuys forum is the best. I have learned everything I know from members like you about DISH TV satellite system. I remember you were the one that figured out the severe OTA issues several years ago for some of us when Eastern Arc came about and there was a little OTA timer mixture problem with it and the Western Arc. That was a big headache for several of us. I wish I had your experience sighting in them there big birds in the sky. That is the one thing I don’t do.

I am a little leery of the 52.0 remotes too but going to give them a good try and have the 40.0 close by in case needed. I hope someone comes up with a spreadsheet that tells you what button does what and the number of button presses, etc, similar to the color button spreadsheet. My daughter and family are already having troubles getting use to the 52.0 and they never had a 40.0. When the 50.0 voice remote comes out I am going to get one for my daughter to try out.

Again congrats on your new system. Must be really nice not to deal with conflicts anymore.

I had forgotten about the ota problems with mixing sats from different arcs. I recall it now that you remind me and the problem you had with new receivers trying to authorize them from the eastern arc sats. Back in 08 you had to plug in the 119 sat to the eastern arc lnb or you couldn't take the software down load to be able to authorize the new receiver. It only saw the 119 sat out of the box. Thank God, that isn't a problem anymore with eastern arc now . I still have the 119 side sat plugged in to my eastern arc lnb , just in case there is anymore problems in the future. Yes the conflicts are not an issue ,but right now there isn't much to record since we are in summer rerun season. But come Fall , it will be really cool to see what it can do.

Congrats on your install the H3 is great I read where you where having OTA recording problems like a lot of people on here. I don't have those OTA problems weather its luck or I did something right. This is just a thought but I have my OTA module plugged into the 3.0 usb port in back instead of the 2.0 port. I don't think the module is 3.0 compliant but as I said this is just a thought.....
Thanks. I have mine plugged into the back of the receiver too. Seems to effect shows set up from the guide in my case and not when you are watching and recording at the same time. I hope that this is a priority and they fix it soon. At least by the fall would be nice. I have quite a few old shows I like to watch in the summer and take them to work via transfer to my I pad. But till this is resolved I can watch older shows from other sat channels in the place of the ota shows.

When I got to the step to authorize all 3, I called DISH to turn them on. I called technical department ,since this receiver is the latest thing and the regular csr would give me grief to try to do it on their end. Well the technical dept. gave me grief instead. " We can't turn on the hopper 3 because you need a tech to come out and install a new hybrid lnb with switch. " I then proceeded to tell him about my eventful day and how tired I was and wanted them to just turn it on ,since I have installed all my receivers in my house going back to the very first dvr receivers like the 500 series. I have had all 3 hoppers and did all my installs , sat dishes, switches etc. He put me on hold and I waited for ever. When he came back he continued to apologize about the rules and then the receivers authorized while I was talking to him. Then he said that the supervisor approval must of come through and they turned it on .

I hope I don't run into the same guy when I go to finally activate my H3. I remember when activating my original H2K, a similar thing happened. I got to the final setup screen step to authorize the receiver, and it literally took an hour before the authorization progress bar appeared, because the rep kept asking me to power-cycle the receiver, then read out all the information on the screen, then he told me that he did a hit to the account, and nothing was happening, and then he placed me on hold, and then came back, and still nothing had changed... seriously... but after an hour of going back and forth and waiting on hold multiple times, then finally the rep did something on their end that pushed the authorization through. Ridiculous if you ask me, for something that should be as simple as pushing a button to send the authorization request.

I hope I don't run into the same guy when I go to finally activate my H3. I remember when activating my original H2K, a similar thing happened. I got to the final setup screen step to authorize the receiver, and it literally took an hour before the authorization progress bar appeared, because the rep kept asking me to power-cycle the receiver, then read out all the information on the screen, then he told me that he did a hit to the account, and nothing was happening, and then he placed me on hold, and then came back, and still nothing had changed... seriously... but after an hour of going back and forth and waiting on hold multiple times, then finally the rep did something on their end that pushed the authorization through. Ridiculous if you ask me, for something that should be as simple as pushing a button to send the authorization request.
You would think it would be easy, but they have a script that they stick to and policies that restrict them. I'm just glad it only took 20 minutes this time.:rolleyes:

Ship me a spare OTA module too ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No redundancy. No 4X. No red recording in progress LED. Poor OTA. No full HDR and WCG? Latest HDCP and HDMI? And there's more. I'll stick to my two HWSes.

I see nothing compelling, or even interesting, to tempt me to a H3. Now, in 2-3 years, when I might replace my main HDTV with a UHDTV, I might consider a H4.

No redundancy. No 4X. No red recording in progress LED. Poor OTA. No full HDR and WCG? Latest HDCP and HDMI? And there's more. I'll stick to my two HWSes.

I see nothing compelling, or even interesting, to tempt me to a H3. Now, in 2-3 years, when I might replace my main HDTV with a UHDTV, I might consider a H4.
OUCH :shh

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts