Finally upgrading my PS3 hard drive

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
I have an original 60gb PS3 and am getting back into playing games on it. I of course ran out of space so I bought a 500gb hard drive on sale and am currently backing up the PS3 to a usb flash drive. Sure is taking a long time!

I'm playing Destiny and got the Assassins Creed Americas Collection on sale as well. I liked the first Assassins Creed.

I have an original 60gb PS3 and am getting back into playing games on it. I of course ran out of space so I bought a 500gb hard drive on sale and am currently backing up the PS3 to a usb flash drive. Sure is taking a long time!

I'm playing Destiny and got the Assassins Creed Americas Collection on sale as well. I liked the first Assassins Creed.

Finally, indeed. lol You'd almost have to upgrade to play any current games between all the installs, patches, DLCs, etc. And in the Americas Collection, doesn't AC Liberation and AC III have to be downloaded and installed from the disc?

I upgraded my PS3's hard drive two years ago to 1 TB and it's already half full, and I don't even download every free Plus game I mean to play until I'm ready to play it. On the other hand, more than half of my PS3 game purchases in that time frame were digital.

As I spend less and less time on the PS3, I'll be very tempted to swap that 1 TB drive with the 500 GB drive on the PS4, though I probably should just look into getting a 2 TB drive in a year or so when the prices come down more.

The Americas Collection is a nice little package and was pretty high on my wish list until I got a PS4. Now I'll probably just play Black Flag on the PS4 at some point. If you've only played Assassins Creed 1, I highly recommend the Ezio Trilogy. AC II is still regarded as one of if not the best AC game made by a lot of fans.

I'm really likimg AC III. Love that it has a 3D mode.

You are correct, both games had to install on the hard drive.

I may check out AC II as well.

I put a 1TB drive in my PS4 right away. I prefer digital to discs for my purchases. Between that and PS Plus games I knew I would want a bigger drive. The only reason I didn't go with 2TB is because they were quite a bit more money when it came to laptop hard drives. I figured 1TB was enough to hold all the PS4 games I'm actively playing and then some.

I'm really likimg AC III. Love that it has a 3D mode.

You are correct, both games had to install on the hard drive.

I may check out AC II as well.

Though some thought AC Revelations was a let down (or at least more like an expansion of ACII/Brotherhood), it has 3-D as well and is gorgeous even in 2-D. It also takes you back to the world of Altair (AC1) through playable flashbacks that tie into Ezio's present mission in the Ottoman Empire.

AC2 was my favorite. Seemed to fix all that was wrong with AC 1 without the added bloat that resulted from the later iterations where they just kept saddling Ezio with more and more abilities and crap he really didn't need. I didn't care as much for Brotherhood and I didn't bother finishing revelations.

My PS3 seems to always run the fan on full blast. Would you guys recommend an extra fan? If so which one?

Just make sure it's well ventilated. Also if it's an original PS3 then it's close to a decade old. Maybe open up the console and clean out the dust with some compressed air.

It's likely your new hard drive is a faster speed than the stock hard drive. Those hard drives (7200 rpm and up ) tend to run hotter, I understand. Combine that with a graphics intensive game like Destiny, and it's not surprising you're hearing your fan come on sooner and louder.

I second yourbeliefs's recommendations. Excessive heat is the primary reason that many people's fat PS3s died eventually (including my own). So do everything you can to keep it cool and dust free. After my 40 GB fat died, I got paranoid with my slim and pointed a large household fan at it anytime I heard the internal fan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)