FINALLY!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dee_Ann

Angry consumer!
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Texas
After years of tree grief, those idiot stinking trees are GONE!! WOO HOO!!

There was one of those Chinese Tallow trees that was right smack dead in the way of everything from 121 ----> on.
I subscribe to Dish and I don’t have a clear LOS for the 61.5 satellite so I had to shoot for Ciel 2 at 129.
But even there there was a tree in the way. Only saving grace for me was that the tree was not all that healthy and the leaves were a little sparse.
When the wind would blow the tree would whip back and forth and cause me some annoying pixelation so recording wasn’t advisable.

This tree caused me extreme grief back when I struggled to bring in White Springs which I still miss.. :cry:
I never could get it reliably enough to enjoy it like I hoped for.
I’ve had grief with 123. I wanted to get FSTV but thanks to the tree, that wasn’t happening.
And of course 125 with PBS channels has been so troublesome that I had mostly given up on it too.

Fortunately for me, my neighbor who is a really nice guy was looking at the trees and after he and I discussed the many times they have dropped limbs on our power and utility wires over the years, he decided to have all the trees down the fence line cut all the way to the ground! YES!!

I was horrified though to come outside during the cutting down to discover that the tree guy had thrown a big rope over my power line and internet line to pull them out of the way, he tied the rope around my motorized dish !!
And that dish, of all the dishes he could have picked, was the worst choice! That dish gives me sooooooo much trouble because it’s loose in the ground from the drought. All it takes is just a tiny bit of movement and it’s out of commission.
I had been in the house mostly but I had walked out to check on things and saw what he did. So I said something to him about it and he said “It’s ok, I shook it pretty hard and it’s solid, it won’t go anywhere”..
Um, well, yes it did. It went off alignment. He really dorked it up and I can’t hit anything on it now. I guess I need to just go dig that pole out since it’s too short anyway and has some jerry-rigged adapter thing to make it taller.
My dog runs around with a LOG as her chew stick, a 25lb LOG and she whacks the LNB pretty hard as she runs past so I had to put a piece of lawn furniture in front of it so she’ll go around and not hit it.
So yeah, it’s time to do something about that but it still ticks me off the tree guy just jumped my fence and tied to that dish without even asking me first.

ANYWAY........ Never again will I have a tree problem! Now, if I could just get the stinkin pecan trees next door cut down that hang waaaaaaay over into my yard and block me from hitting everything between 72w and the horizon.
Since they hang over the fence into my yard I can cut them and the guy next door is cool with me having it done. I just have to come up with the $$ for it. Eh.. Not overly important. The rest of the sky is open and clear now so that is a HUGE improvement.

Now I need to get out there are realign them all and do a bunch of LNB swapping.

Attachments

• IMG_9297.jpg
    IMG_9297.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_9302.JPG
    IMG_9302.JPG
    263.6 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_9301.JPG
    IMG_9301.JPG
    294.9 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_9274.JPG
    IMG_9274.JPG
    371.1 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_9270.JPG
    IMG_9270.JPG
    370.3 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_9268.JPG
    IMG_9268.JPG
    395.6 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_9258.JPG
    IMG_9258.JPG
    437 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_9250.JPG
    IMG_9250.JPG
    406.4 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_9249.JPG
    IMG_9249.JPG
    370.5 KB · Views: 233
Last pic says it all.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Sign it! Caution HIGH VOLTAGE Ah, but it's too late now. Well, look at the 'bright side', it's spring and time to tune up the farm anyway. Enjoy the eastern side o' the arc.

This is great news Dee!!

Well I decided that the pole the tree guy tied my power line to was wonky enough to replace it.
I have had sooooooo much trouble with that pole and any dish I put on it. I had enough.
I got a shovel and dug the dirt from around the top to expose the cement then I tried to pry it out with the shovel but that was baloney so I got a cinder block and a pipe and stood on the pipe and bounced on it.
The cement and pole came right out of the ground! I was shocked how easy it popped out.

So then I took a fence pole and a piece of fence railing and after I dug the hole out even deeper I jammed the pole down into the hole then I put the fence rail inside the pole.
I mixed up two bags of cement (OMG!) and it took me about 20 minutes to trowel the pole full of cement. So the rail is full and then the gap between it and the big pole is also full of cement now.
When it dries it’s going to be atom bomb proof. NOTHING will ever bend that pole !!

I threw some pieces of metal I cut off the poles down into the hole and some big chunks of old cement that I found near the trash. I filled the hole with the new cement then I put a level and two of those angle gauges on the pole and triple double triple checked it to be absolutely certain that the stinkin pole is perfectly level..

As always my assistants annoyed and harassed me and generally got in my way. They do like to help me. How could I do it without them? :D

So now I have to wait a few days for it to set up. We are having some freakish weather, it’s the coolest ever recorded here for this time of year, a good 20 degrees cooler than it should be and the humidity is down from it’s usual 99% to a ridiculous low of 24% !! I figured that there was no better time than now to get this done.

I need to re-do a few more poles like this. I’m really quite tired of wiggly poles, it gets bad in the summer as the ground dries out. Already we are 6” below normal rain here and there are huge cracks in the ground that I can put my entire hand into. I’m afraid my dogs will break a leg in them. The ground around the poles shrinks and cracks and they get loose and “droop” over. Last year I had to put a sprinkler on a timer in the middle of them to water them daily.
I guess I’m going to end up burying a PVC pipe out to the dishes and install a few standard in ground sprinklers rather than the garden hose I ran above ground. This has been a problem year after year for me.
It gave me a great deal of grief back when I was trying to get White Springs. Between the stupid trees and the wiggly poles from the drought, I had a pretty rough time. Not to mention I was totally unskilled, it was my very first foray into the hobby.

Next up I need to get a proper meter so I think I should ask about that separately and later on.

Attachments

• IMG_9404.jpg
    IMG_9404.jpg
    531.7 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_9400.jpg
    IMG_9400.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_9399.jpg
    IMG_9399.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_9391.jpg
    IMG_9391.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_9392.jpg
    IMG_9392.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_9396.jpg
    IMG_9396.jpg
    398.7 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_9389.jpg
    IMG_9389.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_9378.jpg
    IMG_9378.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_9374.jpg
    IMG_9374.jpg
    526.6 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_9373.jpg
    IMG_9373.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_9371.jpg
    IMG_9371.jpg
    632.1 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_9369.jpg
    IMG_9369.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_9367.jpg
    IMG_9367.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 161
Well that went badly.. :cry:

I went out there today to put the dish back on the new pole and I was devastated to discover that the new cement did not adhere to the pole and that the pole rotates in the cement.

There is no way possible to dig the cement out of the hole, it’s 3 feet deep and there’s two 80 pound sacks in there plus junk metal plus chunks of old cement so it’s probably 200lbs of cement there.

I don’t know what to do now. :cry:

I wish I had drilled holes in the pole and put some metal rods through it like I did on my big C-band dishes. Too late now.

I guess I will have to abandon the cement in place and start over from scratch.

I thought about pouring glue but I can’t lift the pole out, it only rotates. And there is no gap between the pole and the cement to pour glue in. I had thought about epoxy but it’s too thick to run down into the microscopic gap.

The pole is full of cement too. I put a piece of fence rail the same length as the pole down the middle of the pole then packed them both full of cement all the way to the top.. So this pole is solid and I can’t imagine there would be any way to drill through it.

I don’t think I could even cut the stupid thing off at the ground now because of the cement that’s inside of it.

I’ve got a real problem now.. :cry:

Have someone arc weld a couple of angles onto the base of the pole and drill or fire some studs into the green concrete. in a day or two it will be strong enough to not rotate. Been there, done that! after it cures a while, you can pour a cap on what you have -- but put in a couple of stubs in the green concrete NOW!

Rv1pop’s idea is better than mine if you have access to someone with a welder, but if not you might try what I do with my ku dishes that I put in the ground with a pole driver. To keep them from spinning, I take a piece of angle iron and drill a hole in one side that a spike barely fits thru and drill two holes on the other end and side that a u-bolt fits thru. I drive the spike with angle iron attached in the ground next to the pole (in your case I’d use a cement bit and drill a hole in the concrete that the spike will fit into) then attach the angle iron to the pole using the u-bolt. I’ve never had a problem with the pole spinning once everything was torqued down good.

Second the suggestion to drill now! You could easily set one or two bolts through the pole and build a form on top of the current pour and add another 6 inch slab to set the bolts.

A less exciting option is to chisel out 4 or 6" of the cement on one side of the post and drill. Lag bolt and repour the chiseled out material.

Yep.... Always weld tabs, hammer a flat side or drill for bolts through the pole. A round peg in a round hole rotates.

Good luck!!!

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Brilliant suggestions! Thank you guys !! :happy dance:

I will run out and buy a cement drill first thing tomorrow!
I think I found something that might work which is kind of in line with what y’all are suggesting.
The pole I used, I got it out of the trash last year. Yes, I shop at curb mart, often.. :rolleyes:

I picked up like 8 or 10 of them and one of them had hinge parts on still on it.
I ran outside and pulled one of the hinges off on of the other poles and put it on this pole and it fits.

What I’m thinking I can do is to drill hole in the cement for that big pin to fit down into. Then I slide the hinge as far down as it will go and tighten up the bolt really, really tight.
Then I can pour another sack of cement on top of it like a cap. If I make it thick like peanut butter I can make it stay in place and not just run all over the place. Maybe I can make a round form to put around to be sure.

Maybe I should drill several holes in the cement and put pins in them so the new cement cap can’t spin, right?

Or would the hinge be enough to keep it all locked into place if I make a hole for that big pin to sit in ??

Attachments

• IMG_9414.jpg
    IMG_9414.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_9418.jpg
    IMG_9418.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_9411.jpg
    IMG_9411.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_9419.jpg
    IMG_9419.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 142
Great idea using the gate hinge. This will work fine. No need for drilling holes in the pole as long as it is torqued down and no slop in the hole for the pin. Not a bad idea to pour a cap if the pole still has rotation.

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Dee is learning concrete work! Well, I still have a bit to learn about it myself, already know it's nasty, hard work though. That last idea should do the trick, just don't let the laborers throw a chain around it to pull a tree down, lol.
That last pic in the first post was amazing to me, the one showing the elevations of the western sats at her place. I can barely see 139W from here, its almost on the horizon and no way will I ever see 148W!

Well it seems the cement is still not hardened yet, I found a chisel in my garage and I was able to chip out some cement with great ease.
I guess with the cool weather we’ve had it’s still “green” as you called it.

Tomorrow I need to go buy another sack of cement. I’m going to cut some more fence rail into like 2 foot lengths and hammer them into the ground at an angle so that they are sticking up and over the top of the existing cement.
When I cap it with more cement the rails with be like spider legs protruding from the cement into the ground and it will be impossible for the cement to rotate in the ground.

Three bags of cement, three feet in the ground, pole filled with another pole and cement and spider legs? It ain’t going anywhere, EVER..

Actually, after thinking around it some more, I’m going to make several more holes in the top of this existing cement and put some junk metal in them so that when I cap it with more cement the pins will lock the two cements into one that can not rotate under any conditions...

Man, I’m really learning a hard lesson on this!

How much you wanna bet me that the next time I do this that I drill holes in the pole and put rods through it, BELOW and BEFORE I put the cement in!

Attachments

• IMG_9465.jpg
    IMG_9465.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_9462.jpg
    IMG_9462.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_9460.jpg
    IMG_9460.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_9422b.JPG
    IMG_9422b.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Instead of gate hinge, muffler clamp with coupling nuts could also lock the mast,
IMG_1492.JPG

Well I’m out.

I’m done with FTA.

I have three dogs and a massive veterinarian bill just knocked me flat on the ground financially.

I can not afford to play, as the saying goes.

I have two meters that are absolute, obsolete, Jurassic Park rubbish. All my dishes are screwed up and I just can’t align them without a proper meter.

After all these years I still am not worth my weight in ant farts when it comes to this hobby.

The tuner card in my PC is defective now and pretty much useless.

I spent hours outside this morning trying to work on several of my dishes and I got NOTHING accomplished. I couldn’t even find a bloody satellite.

So I threw everything in a bucket and called it quits.

I don’t have what it takes to play this game and I don’t have the patience.

It can all go to rust now, I’m done.

Maybe next year I can afford to try again. But then again there probably won’t be anything left on FTA anymore.
Maybe it’s time to just cut them all down and reclaim a large portion of my yard.

I guess I’ll just have to get my entertainment via ROKU. The $100 a month I’m paying for 250 channels of rubbish on Dish is also not worth it to me anymore.

Oh well. That’s it for me. I’m done, over and out..

Sleep on it tonight Dee, give it a rest a day or two and recharge your batteries. It's not a hobby if it creates stress. And I know the deal with the vet bills, sorry to hear about your pet problems. FTA will still be around when you get your energy back!

I agree with turbosat.
As enjoyable as FTA can be, its not without its frustrations.
I've been in this hobby since 1991 and there have been many times over the years where I had to step back for a day or two and regroup. The dogs are of course a more important priority, but the dishes will be there waiting for you when you're ready.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)