Finding a persons IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

italianchick69

Original poster
Jan 23, 2007
I know a lot of people that can find a persons Ip adress that they are talking to online and such.How do you do that, like how would you find my IP address from this post here,and could you do it from an email or from paypal account because I just want to see what country this person is in because I think he's trying to run a scam.
Thanks

did the person send you e-mail or is this in IRC? If you answer no, then you can't find it (legally) short of them telling you.

Depending on your operating system, you can run a traceroute on the IP address and with some analysis, you can usually figure out the originating ISP.

If you look in the header of the email, it should have the fully qualified domain name of the email server, then it should also have the ip address of the host pc that sent the email.

Even from a web account like yahoo, the host pc's ip address is in the email header.

Be careful though thaere are a number of emial providers taht don't include it and some programs likwe naonymizer and a few others that fake the ip address.

Status
Not open for further replies.