Finding Nemo on Starz-HD West at 12AM Tonight!

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
I'm really curious about the Finding Nemo premiere tomorrow night. The guide doesn't show the
icon_truehd.gif
logo and the same goes for Monsters Inc.

These are two great movies that I'd like to see in HD. Why doesn't StarzHD do more actual HD stuff? Are there contracts that tell them they're not allowed to show them in HD? :no I really wood like the inside scoop on this.

title.jpg
shark.jpg

Strange. The promo for Nemo looked pretty good, if I recall. I'd imagine it's relatively easy to get a good quality HD transfer from a computer animated film. The source material is probably a super high res render to begin with. I don't recall what channel it was on, but Ice Age looked phenominal. I hope the listings are inaccurate and Nemo and Monsters both look as good as Ice Age did.

Yeah, I'd imaging the the 3D gets rendered to at least 2K since it gets printed to film for theatrical release. The entire pipeline should be digital: Making the HD version spectacular.

Here's hoping it's in HD

ChetK said:
I'm really curious about the Finding Nemo premiere tomorrow night. The guide doesn't show the logo and the same goes for Monsters Inc.

These are two great movies that I'd like to see in HD. Why doesn't StarzHD do more actual HD stuff? Are there contracts that tell them they're not allowed to show them in HD? :no I really wood like the inside scoop on this.

According to TitanTV, both Monsters, Inc., and Finding Nemo will be shown in HD on Starz. Monsters will be shown in letterbox HD.

Here's the best explanation about these movies without the "True HD" designation. This was posted at AVSforum on this thread

I called and asked....

"Finding Nemo will be shown on StarzHD as an 16x9 anomorphic upconverted 1080iHD with 5.1DD audio."

I saw this post and instantly turned it on to be disappointed.

Nemo looks far better on my Samsung HD931 upconverted to 1080i, no where near the detail compared to playing it on DVD.

Had a very soft look to it. Its missing alot of definition, doesn't even look 480p.

I even cycled through all the formats and its no where close.

Watched both Monsters and Nemo tonight. They were awesome with tones of detail. Didn't look soft at all here.

owlbox said:
Watched both Monsters and Nemo tonight. They were awesome with tones of detail. Didn't look soft at all here.
How is this disparity between two Voomers posible-one says poor pq, worse than DVD-the other touts the sharpness and HD clarity-mighty perplexing indeed!

Maybe its the TV.

I'm watching it on an LCD and believe me, it was soft. I'm watching Executive Decision right now and its close to DVD quality in certain scenes.

I am watching it on a scaling DVD player though so much of the DVD stuff we watch is close to HD quality. From what I remember it looks better on Voom than it did on a 480p DVD player via component but doesn't look anywhere near as good as it scaled to 1080i via DVI, my Voom is also over DVI scaled to 1080i.

Anything shot with HD Camera's is far far superior to DVD but alot of this scaled stuff on premium HD channels doesn't compare.

Tears of the Sun is still the best HD transfer I've seen on Voom, I keep meaning to pick up the DVD to compare.

I'll try to catch Monsters Inc if they replay it.

When is Nemo on again? I'll take some pics. I've had good luck with taking pictures of the TV with a digital SLR and I have some pics of Nemo on DVD.

I went and read the thread on AVSForum and see a few other people were not too excited about StarzHD.

For comparison I watched Shrek on ABC in HD a month or so ago and it was amazing, stunning quality.

Nemo was no where near this. 12am is a bit too late for me to check it out :p

It all depends how was the transfer done. I agree about Tears of the Sun; I also thought Platoon was excellent. Understand that Starz opted to do Nemo this way not a Voom problem. It all depends on what you look at and trace it back to the source. I rather have the true HD nemo but if starz can not do it because of licensing fee, I rather have this upconversion than 4x3.

I never thought it was a Voom problem, its mostly all at the source.

A question on DVD versus HD was made on the Home Theater Forum a few weeks ago and I sat down and did the following comparisons last Sunday night at around 7pm EST:

Well here is my current list:

7:06pm EST

HBO HD - Sunshine State - DVD Better by a long shot
HBO HDW - The Client - Mildy better than DVD
MAX HD - The Saint - DVD Better by a small margin
MAX HDW - While you were Sleeping - DVD Better, very soft PQ
Showtime HD - Serving Sara - Better than DVD
Showtime HDW - The Imposter - Equal to DVD
TMC HD - Swimming With Sharks - Tiny bit worse than DVD
StarzHD - Willard - Equal to DVD

Now watching RAVE SoundStage it blows DVD away, so did the music stuff earlier today on BravoHD, but that is broadcast in 1080i and is stunning to watch.

Local UPN for comparison playing Enterprise - Show is jacked up, its in SD 16:9, but from what I can remember its bette than DVD.

CBS is generally better than DVD also, ABC is too grainy. Fox's true HD is better than DVD also.

Again, this is on a HD931 DVD Player scaled to 1080i on a GW 60" LCD.

Now I forgot what I was watching

True HD is not too common, HDnet, INhd, PBS(sometimes), most CBS and ABC after 8 and those who do good conversions...I'm sure I'm leaving some out but you get the idea.

Watched it last night...

My wife and I watched it last night. I thought it looked stunning. There was one (maybe two) small blips in the picture but, other than that, the pq was just awesome.

I don't have the DVD to compare it to so I can't comment on this.

The Rickster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts