Finding sat with Trimax meter

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

domando1069

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Not sure where to post this, so I will ask it here. I have a new Trimax SM-2200 meter. Trying to get G25 & AMC4, or any sat for that matter. It doesn't matter what elevation I use, the signal strength is about 55 to 80 % and quility ia about 2%. I got so frustrated, that I pointed the dish straight to the north, and the signal strength never change, what gives?????????? I e-mailed Trimax, the have very poor service, they just said check your frequncies. When I hook the meter up to a dish that is already setup for G25, I get a signal of grren and quility on the meter. Is KU band that sensitive?????? Am I moving the dish to fast to pick up a signal????????? Also when I hook the meter up to a Starchoice dish that has a working receiver, I get some quality, but not enuff for the meter to turn green. Oh ya when I do this the meter is set on Anik F1. Thanks

:(:confused:

A signal level only means that you are connected to the LNB.
Only after you have a quality reading you are pointing at a satellite.

FTA Ku signals are much more sensitive than other satellite signals.

qwert1515
thanks, if I change elevation by say 4% instaed of 2% with ku, will I miss the sat??????

It depends on the size of the dish, a smaller dish can be off by more than a larger dish.

G25 is a weaker satellite so if you are using a smaller dish 2 degrees off can be enough to not receive a signal.

Make sure the post is leveled, also keep in mind that some dish scales are not accurate.

What size dish are you using?

Sorry for the missing info, I have a 39 inch dish with a standard KU LNBF LO Frequency 10750 MHz

Use a satellite angle calculator and a compass to get in the general location of the satellite and then swing the dish slowly side to side, if you do not pick up a signal then change the elevation and repeat the side to side movement.

Also did you remember to skew the LNB if it is a fixed dish? Are you using a motor?

Domando1069, I've been using my Trimax 2200 Meter for about 3 weeks and its working fairly well. Its a little tricky to set up. First make sure that you have the latest updated Satellite File re Jan 8 2008 loaded into your meter from their web site @ Trimaxmeters.com. Click on Downloads. (You need to use the USB cable included with the Meter). The latest file has the Tp's listed for about 50 Satellites. I would also add IceBerg's great List (available on this site) of Active Transponders to your List on the Trimax which you can Edit and add onto your downloaded Sat List. For example for Galaxy 25 / 97.0W IceBerg recommends to use Tp 12152 and 12177. I have captured 2 Tps using the Trimax Meter on my Mesh Dish for Galaxy 25.

The meter beeps louder and louder as you lock in on a Tp and the Green Colored Signal Strength gets higher, you will also see the Red Lock Lite on. You have to ensure you set up ALL Settings correctly - ie Satellite, Frequency - 10750 for KU Band, 5150 for C Band, and 11250 for Circular Sats likely for Starchoice, DiseqC Switch 1 to 4 or None etc.etc. (Just like when you set up your Antenna Settings in your Satellite Receiver). But the Trimax 2200 Meter does indeed work when setup properly. Hope this helps.

jsattv
Thanks for your input, I did load the latest update from Trimax. One other problem that I am having, is when I am in dish setup mode, and select the diseqC switch, go to auto scan, then back to dish setup, all the settings go back to auto, they do not stay saved. I will edit the tips per Iceberg as you have suggested, and try again. I appreciate the help.

jsattv
Thanks for your input, I did load the latest update from Trimax. One other problem that I am having, is when I am in dish setup mode, and select the diseqC switch, go to auto scan, then back to dish setup, all the settings go back to auto, they do not stay saved. I will edit the tips per Iceberg as you have suggested, and try again. I appreciate the help.

Yeah, I had trouble with that as well. There is only one location where when you change your Settings then when you exit, - it will ask you "Do you want to save the Settings?" You have to say Yes. If you are in the wrong location it won't ask you if you want to save Settings when you Exit out and the Settings won't be saved, its kind of querky but thats how it works. Let me know if you need more details.

jsattv
Thanks jsattv I will, it will probebly be Thursday before I can get back to it,

jsattv
Put in settings from THE LIST into my Trimax meter, had lock in less then ten minutes, only thing is, I have a 39" dish and I am only getting 65% quality on AMC4, will try to tweek it a bit more. But at least I got the meter to work. Thanks for the help, Only other problem I have with the meter, is it's had to see the screen in the bright sunlight!!!!!!!!!!

jsattv
Put in settings from THE LIST into my Trimax meter, had lock in less then ten minutes, only thing is, I have a 39" dish and I am only getting 65% quality on AMC4, will try to tweek it a bit more. But at least I got the meter to work. Thanks for the help, Only other problem I have with the meter, is it's had to see the screen in the bright sunlight!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds great domando, guess we haven't had enough bright days to notice a problem, but yes the screen is pretty small. I have viewed the Transponder signal settings from some Satellites but haven't figured out yet how to actually view the Video Channels. Have you been able to view the actual Video Channels on your meter screen?

jsattv
Yes I have,I press the find button, select the sat that I am looking for, then I tune it in. Once I have done that, I use the down arrow key and scroll down until the search feature is highlighted, then I press the OK button. The meter will go to another screen and it will scan the tips that you have stored in the meter. Once it is done scanning it will go to what I call a veiw mode. if you are on a active channel it will come on. If you are not, just use the up or down arrow key and keep scrolling through the channels until you find a active one. You will also get the audio too. Again thanks for the help. P.S One last thing I did notice, I set up a Bell system today, I had it on Nimiq 1 and got a good signal, but when I turned the Bell reciever on it said I was locked on wrong sat, it said Nimiq2, so I went back to the dish and moved it until it looked again, this time I was on Nimiq 1. I thought that it shouldn't of picked up Nimiq 2 if I was set to Nimiq 1. But I will remember this in the future.

You will need to find a transponder that is unique to Nimiq 1 or Nimiq 2 and use that TP to verify that you are on that bird.

Bell ExpressVU and Dish Network use the same transponders on most of their satellites, but you can usually find a TP on each bird that is unique.

Thanks for the post info guys. 1st thing I did after charging the thing was set it up on the Wrong Nimiq Sat just like posted above.lol

Shamou.

jsattv,

You seem to know a fair bit about the Trimax SM2200, have you noticed that the latest downloads seem to have default settings for LNB type and frequencies etc for the available lists for downloads?

I had to go in and modify the settings in order for it to detect the satellites properly.

Still having a bugger of a time getting it to detect StarChoice satellites with Starchoice LNBF's. Can you verify that you are using your 2200 to accurately identify/lock and peak StarChoice sat's with StarChoice LNB's? And if so, would you mind sharing your settings info for respective satellites?

Thanks
Haywood

jsattv,

You seem to know a fair bit about the Trimax SM2200, have you noticed that the latest downloads seem to have default settings for LNB type and frequencies etc for the available lists for downloads?

I had to go in and modify the settings in order for it to detect the satellites properly.

Still having a bugger of a time getting it to detect StarChoice satellites with Starchoice LNBF's. Can you verify that you are using your 2200 to accurately identify/lock and peak StarChoice sat's with StarChoice LNB's? And if so, would you mind sharing your settings info for respective satellites?

Thanks
Haywood

Sorry Haywood I do Not subscribe to Starchoice not sure what Satellite it is on, check with Iceberg - I subscribe to Bell ExpressVu and have not used the Trimax 2200 to peak it up, but that is a good idea, wonder if it will work if I disconnect my Bell 9200 Receiver?

I have been using the Trimax 2200 mainly to setup my 12 Foot C and KU Band Mesh Dish. The download I am using is from January 4, 2008 which has 50 Satellites and a bunch of Tp's in it then you can add in your own re IceBergs' list of Tp's from "I need a strong transponder to aim my dish". Current Trimax Downloads since Jan 4 2008 do NOT include a default list for Tp's which is why I find the Jan 4 list more useful. Hope this helps.

StarChoice is a Digicipher signal. I do not believe that the Trimax is able to lock onto Digicipher signals.
jsattv,

Thanks
Haywood

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)