Finding Satellite with a Hopper 3

Rjgobell

Original poster
May 25, 2019
USA
Greetings,

I was messing around with my satellite dish and ended up loosing reception. I’ve spent the better part of a day trying to re-tune it but have not been successful. I’ve tried to use an old Winegard Satellite Finder, model SF-1000 but I’m thinking this will not work with the hybrid Lnbf? Is there a way to simply watch the signal strenght on the screen on the TV to tune it in or is this impossible with this receiver? If so what technique can I use?

Any assistances is greatly appreciated.

You can use DishPointer - Align your satellite dish to find the correct azimuth for whichever arc of Dish you were using, both true and magnetic.

For EA try 72.7W and for WA try 110W putting in your exact street address to complete the calculation.

Once you find signal, you can fine tune it for highest signal level using only very slight motions left or right and waiting a few seconds for signal to stabilize.

Also, depending on the lnb that you are using, Dish publishes zip code tables that give the same azimuth, elevation and skew information. Don't mess with skew.

Best wishes.

Apparently you can’t simply move the dish and watch the tv screen to find the satellites like you could do with the old receivers?

My experience with the Hybrid LNBF is that unless you really in the ball park with Azimuth, you won't be able to run the Switch Check (Test) and without a find on the satellites, you won't get a signal to peak. That is when I got the Super Buddy to aim the dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts