Finding Signal on Superdish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

PKII

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2005
WV
Ok. I recently moved my Superdish from one pole to another. Long story... Anyways I thought I had it set perfectly but noticed for a few weeks channel 500 was missing. I just thought it was a Dish Network Issue so I didn't make it an issue.

However, last night my DVR 510 failed. Harddrive... I wanted to use my old dish 301 receiver until I receive my replacement in the mail. Now not getting the channel 500 is a big issue. The CSR told me that when I peaked the dish it should have been peaked on 110 transponder 23. (I have instructions on installing a Superdish and they say I think Peak on 105 transponders 2, 7, 18, or 25.)

I can not find a signal that will lock when I have it on that transponder. Yes I know the Superdish is suppose to be proffessionally installed but I have had so many issues with installers I don't want one near it.

I have a Sky Peaker Trio that I used to install my 8.5 mesh C/Ku System.

Could someone tell me how do I peak the Superdish? What satellite should I try to peak and which transponder I should have it on when I hook up my Sky Peaker Trio. Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the 105 super dish is still being used for a 105 signal. The 105 satellite is a leased satellite and there was some news about the locals being transferred to 110 or 119. Try peaking the signal on 110.

I'm not sure if the 105 super dish is still being used for a 105 signal. The 105 satellite is a leased satellite and there was some news about the locals being transferred to 110 or 119. Try peaking the signal on 110.
Mine are still on 105 unfortunately. :(

Hopefully, the installer left you the manual for the SuperDish. If so, see page 3, 4, and 5.

Otherwise, for the SuperDish 105...

Make sure your mast is plumb in more than 2 directions.:D
Then set the SKEW, ELEVATION, and AZIMUTH according to your Zip Code.

Then you start by peaking on 119W either by connecting the outermost LNBF (119) directly to the receiver or to PORT 1 on the DP34 or DPP44 Switch. It says to use a Transponder greater than 10.

Then peak 105W either by connecting the 105W LNBF directly to the receiver or to PORT 1 on the DP34 or DPP44 Switch. It says to use either Transponder 2, 7, 18, or 23.

You should only have to make minor adjustments - less than 1 degree. Only adjust the Azimuth and Elevation. Do not adjust the skew angle.

Now check the 119W by re-connecting it directly to the receiver or to PORT 1 of the DP34 or DPP44 Switch. It should be as good as, or better than the 105W reading.

There's more info than this, but you should already have your software downloads by now.

You can find which Transponder(s) your locals on 105W are on at the following web site: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/105list.htm

You shouldn't need a professional installation. But you REALLY REALLY do need a plumb mast before starting. If it's not plumb, you will not get all 3 orbital locations at their best, if at all.

It's not rocket science, but you do need to be able to use a level, then the rest is easy (unless you are hanging from the side of a building trying to support the SD-105 and adjust it:D ).

EDIT: Respond with your Zip Code, and I'll give you the settings to start with.

Last edited:
Hopefully, the installer left you the manual for the SuperDish. If so, see page 3, 4, and 5.

Otherwise, for the SuperDish 105...

Make sure your mast is plumb in more than 2 directions.:D
Then set the SKEW, ELEVATION, and AZIMUTH according to your Zip Code.

Then you start by peaking on 119W either by connecting the outermost LNBF (119) directly to the receiver or to PORT 1 on the DP34 or DPP44 Switch. It says to use a Transponder greater than 10.

Then peak 105W either by connecting the 105W LNBF directly to the receiver or to PORT 1 on the DP34 or DPP44 Switch. It says to use either Transponder 2, 7, 18, or 23.

You should only have to make minor adjustments - less than 1 degree. Only adjust the Azimuth and Elevation. Do not adjust the skew angle.

Now check the 119W by re-connecting it directly to the receiver or to PORT 1 of the DP34 or DPP44 Switch. It should be as good as, or better than the 105W reading.

There's more info than this, but you should already have your software downloads by now.

You can find which Transponder(s) your locals on 105W are on at the following web site: http://ekb.dbstalk.com/105list.htm

You shouldn't need a professional installation. But you REALLY REALLY do need a plumb mast before starting. If it's not plumb, you will not get all 3 orbital locations at their best, if at all.

It's not rocket science, but you do need to be able to use a level, then the rest is easy (unless you are hanging from the side of a building trying to support the SD-105 and adjust it:D ).

EDIT: Respond with your Zip Code, and I'll give you the settings to start with.

It's 25320

I get all three satellites. The problem is on satellite 110 I can not get a good signal on transponder 23. And my channel 500 the preview channel and a few others do not show up. A CSR said I needed to have at least a green locked in signal to receive these channels.

The Mast is now officially Plumb it was a little bit off. I haven't tried adjusting it any other way yet. I have a Acutrac 22 Pro that I need to try out. But I'm not exactly sure what satellite I need to peak to get 110 transponder 23. I guess 110. lol

Update:

I just finished pointing using the Acutrac 22 Pro. A lot better than running in and out of the house looking at the receiver meter. lol.

Ok. I got the best signals I have ever seen.

On 119 I have signal 115
105 " 74
110 " 99

However on the Transponder 23 on 110 I still do not get a locked signal. Only at 37. This is the transponder I was told I needed to receive channel 500 the preview channel for PPV's and a few other channels.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
1. For Charleston, WV/Sissonville, WV, or Zip Codes 253xx, when the mast is plumb, start with:
- (a) SKEW = 116
- (b) ELEVATION = 39
- (c) AZIMUTH = 221

2. I am not familiar with a Acutrac 22 Pro, and can not comment on it.

3. On the SuperDish 105, if the: (1) Mast is Plumb, (2) You Peaked 119, and (3) Peaked 105; then the 110 Satellite will come in. You do not need to peak the 110 since it is in between (middle of) the other 2 satellite positiions.

4. If you are getting a good signal on some transponders on 110, and a bad or no signal on other transponders on 110, then there are two possibilities:
- (a) Your 110 LNBF is bad. (I had a DP Dual that had problems picking up lower TP.)
- (b) You are trying to pick up a transponder on a SpotBeam that you are either on the edge of its effective footprint or out of its footprint.

5. However, right now I suspect the long story in moving your dish from one pole to another is really a long distance, i.e., you moved from one area to another area like Northern VA (Spotbeam 5) or Northwest PA (Spotbeam 9) and you are now trying to pick up one of those area in Charleston, WV which you would be right inside the edge of those two spotbeams. Or moved from the Northeast (Spotbeam 4) which you are on the very edge or outside of its range.:) :D :)

My reasoning here, was a quick check to see what you were trying to pick up on 110, Transponder 23. I'll edit this post when I research a little more.:eureka

6. In the meantime, now that your mast is plumb, use the settings above, then peak 119, then 105, then check 119 per my earlier post. Then 110 will fall in place.

EDIT:

7. When using your receiver to peak a dish, don't forget to select both the correct Satellite (119 and/or 105) and the correct Transponder for that satellite!

Last edited:
Okay, guess you were editing while I was posting.

I see the Acutrac 22 is a satellite meter - I'm not that high tech, I still navigate by the stars.

I'll check and see what transponder you are looking for, but it won't be on a spotbeam.

I don't have a Channel 500.

TVGC = 101 = Sat 110, TP 02

On my comment about you moving a long distance to try and figure out what you were looking for on Sat 110, Transponder 23 while in WV, I see now that it appears the CSR/Tech Support told you to look for the wrong Sat and/or TP.

I would say that everything (as for as the SuperDish 105) is working and glad you are getting the best signals you've ever had.

EDIT: Here's an unofficial list of Dish Network channels with the Sat and TP listed. Scroll down a ways to view the chart which is often updated. http://ekb.dbstalk.com/dishlist.htm

Last edited:
[QUOTE

5. However, right now I suspect the long story in moving your dish from one pole to another is really a long distance, i.e., you moved from one area to another area like Northern VA (Spotbeam 5) or Northwest PA (Spotbeam 9) and you are now trying to pick up one of those area in Charleston, WV which you would be right inside the edge of those two spotbeams. Or moved from the Northeast (Spotbeam 4) which you are on the very edge or outside of its range.:) :D :)

My reasoning here, was a quick check to see what you were trying to pick up on 110, Transponder 23. I'll edit this post when I research a little more.:eureka

6. In the meantime, now that your mast is plumb, use the settings above, then peak 119, then 105, then check 119 per my earlier post. Then 110 will fall in place.

EDIT:

7. When using your receiver to peak a dish, don't forget to select both the correct Satellite (119 and/or 105) and the correct Transponder for that satellite![/QUOTE]

The distance I moved the dish was about 12 inches. The wood post I used started to crack. The Azimuth is 221, Elevation 39, Skew 116. 110 is 99 on some transponders just not on transponder 23. (I was told this transponder was needed to receive channel 500 which is missing from my guide. It was there before I moved the Dish.)

105 is the highest I'ver ever seen it. It was at 50ish now it is at 74.

Just can't figure out why Transponder 23 won't come in higher than 37. Bad LNB is sounding more of the solution. Thanks for your help. :)

Last edited:
Just can't figure out why Transponder 23 won't come in higher than 37. Bad LNB is sounding more of the solution. Thanks for your help. :)
Instead of a bad LNBF, I believe the CSR gave you wrong info about Sat 110, Transponder 23. They don't (normally) put national programming on spotbeams. Take a look at this map and see if you are in one area or the other. http://www.dbstalk.com/ekb/E10spots/e10t23.pdf

Transponder 23 is used on two Spotbeams that it looks like you are on the edge of. TP23 Spot 10 for Cincinatti, Louisville, and Nashville; and TP23 Spot 05 for Baltimore.

On the Sat 110, I think you should get a really good signal on TP 29 (Spot 09) for Altoona and Johnstown, and Pittsburgh; or TP 27 (Spot 09) for Rochester; or TP 31 (Spot 09) for Youngstown; and/or TP 31 (Spot 09) for Cleveland.

For more info on Transponders and Spotbeams, go to this link and then select the various links halfway down the page: http://www.dbstalk.com/ekb/satmaps.htm

Scott has a post on a dealer forum that channel 500 & 103 were dropped by DISH about 2 weeks ago.
Thanks for the info. Although I never use it, I thought there was a channel around 500 and then another one in the low 100's, but when I searched the listings and my Guide Info on the 622, I could not find anything.

Ok. I recently moved my Superdish from one pole to another. Long story... Anyways I thought I had it set perfectly but noticed for a few weeks channel 500 was missing. I just thought it was a Dish Network Issue so I didn't make it an issue.

However, last night my DVR 510 failed. Harddrive... I wanted to use my old dish 301 receiver until I receive my replacement in the mail. Now not getting the channel 500 is a big issue. The CSR told me that when I peaked the dish it should have been peaked on 110 transponder 23. (I have instructions on installing a Superdish and they say I think Peak on 105 transponders 2, 7, 18, or 25.)

I can not find a signal that will lock when I have it on that transponder. Yes I know the Superdish is suppose to be proffessionally installed but I have had so many issues with installers I don't want one near it.

I have a Sky Peaker Trio that I used to install my 8.5 mesh C/Ku System.

Could someone tell me how do I peak the Superdish? What satellite should I try to peak and which transponder I should have it on when I hook up my Sky Peaker Trio. Thanks.

Use 119 TP 11...Then peak on the 110 to fine tune..Ignore 105..There isn't anything there...Locals were moved off the 105 quite some time ago...
If you are using the 121 super dish.....Again peak on the 119..Check on the 110 and fine tune the 121..

Scott has a post on a dealer forum that channel 500 & 103 were dropped by DISH about 2 weeks ago.
That is just great be nice if the Dishnetwork CSR would have known that. Why would they drop it? Now I can't see the previews for the PPV's and I will rent less. :rolleyes:

Use 119 TP 11...Then peak on the 110 to fine tune..Ignore 105..There isn't anything there...Locals were moved off the 105 quite some time ago...
If you are using the 121 super dish.....Again peak on the 119..Check on the 110 and fine tune the 121..
My locals are on 105. If I unplug the 105 lnb I have no locals. When the signal is not locked on 105 I have no locals.... This equals my locals are on 105. Maybe not on anyone elses. :p

Here is a email I got from Dish Network concerning channel 500 when I emailed them a couple of days ago. :confused:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail. The channel 500 was taken down for unknown reasons our engineering department is working hard to bring back this channel. They will try to resolve this issue as soon as possible. Unfortunately, there is not a way for us to know the status of their work. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences this may have caused you.

We hope we have properly addressed your concerns. If you have further questions you can respond to this e-mail or access our online technical

support at the following link:

http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/techportal/index.shtml.

Thanks,

Richard B.

Technical E-mail Support

Dish Network

**To avoid any delay in our response please include all previous email correspondences so that we can reference your original concerns**

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts